Thread poster: Federica Carrus
Federica Carrus
Federica Carrus
Local time: 09:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 13, 2017

Hi,
I am using Trados Studio 2015. I have many bilingual files in xliff format and I would like to create a translation memory to use it for other projects. I have tried everything but I couldn't convert the xliff files into tmx format.
Here's the procedure that seems to be working :
... See more
Hi,
I am using Trados Studio 2015. I have many bilingual files in xliff format and I would like to create a translation memory to use it for other projects. I have tried everything but I couldn't convert the xliff files into tmx format.
Here's the procedure that seems to be working : http://www.wordbridge.it/ottenere-una-memoria-tmx-da-un-file-sdlxliff-di-sdl-trados-studio-2014/

However, after I populate the translation memory and open it, the translation memory is empty. There's absolutely nothing in it so I can't use it.
Can anybody help me please?
Thank you so much
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:56
English to Russian
WfConverter Jul 14, 2017

If you mean sdlxliff files, you may want to use a wordfast converter. It is free and extremely simple. You can safely download it from here: http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/11/03/convert-sdltm-and-sdltb-without-studio-and-multiterm/
Find this:
Download links:
WfC
... See more
If you mean sdlxliff files, you may want to use a wordfast converter. It is free and extremely simple. You can safely download it from here: http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/11/03/convert-sdltm-and-sdltb-without-studio-and-multiterm/
Find this:
Download links:
WfConverter: http://wordfast.net/zip/WfConverter.zip
Required DLL: http://sqlite.org/download.html (file to download: sqlite-dll-win32-x86-*.zip)

To make it work, you need 2 files in same folder: WfConverter.exe and sqlite3.dll
You can find sqlite3.dll using the second above-mentioned link (see section 'Precompiled Binaries for Windows' either for 32 or 64-bit Windows)

Once you have both files in one folder:
1. Launch the WfConverter.exe
2. Select 'sdlxliff' fyle type
3. Locate your file
4. Press Start
5. Use the resulting tmx for import into any TM be it SDL Trados, memoQ, Memsource or any other CAT tool.

[Edited at 2017-07-14 04:41 GMT]
Collapse

Federica Carrus
Federica Carrus
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Not yet implemented" Jul 14, 2017

Thanks Stepan, it seems to be very useful. I have followed the instructions. However, whenever I try to convert an sdlxliff file I get this message "Not yet implemented". Do you by any chance know what I should do? Thank you so much.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
oops... Jul 14, 2017

I am experiencing the same problem too... Never seen it before. I will revert to this post if I find a solution. Sorry.

Federica Carrus
Federica Carrus
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NP Jul 14, 2017

Many thanks! Please let me know.
Have a good one,
Federica

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ok, lets revert to Studio Jul 14, 2017

I am pretty confused with this new behavior because I successfully used this converter pretty often. Now I have the same error. But anyway... You still can use Studio for this purpose.

I don’t understand Italian, but I can see that the steps are not those I would expect from such procedure.
Actually, you don’t need to populate or export anything. On the contrary, you need to import.
Open a TM (either ready-made or create new) in the Translation Memories pane and then
... See more
I am pretty confused with this new behavior because I successfully used this converter pretty often. Now I have the same error. But anyway... You still can use Studio for this purpose.

I don’t understand Italian, but I can see that the steps are not those I would expect from such procedure.
Actually, you don’t need to populate or export anything. On the contrary, you need to import.
Open a TM (either ready-made or create new) in the Translation Memories pane and then just press Import. Then ‘Add Files’, select your sdlxliff, Next, Next, Finish.
Done

P.S. This is how you get SDL TM.
If you still need tmx, you should open such SDL TM and then 'Export' it to tmx.

[Edited at 2017-07-14 09:04 GMT]
Collapse

Federica Carrus
Federica Carrus
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SUCCESS Jul 14, 2017

Thank you so much. It does work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot use my xliff files to create a TM

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »