Thread poster: Anne-Sophie Aboké
Anne-Sophie Aboké
Anne-Sophie Aboké  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:18
English to French
Sep 1, 2007

hello everyone

I checked in the forum but found no answer to my problem, that seems to be classical with Trados.
my segment is open ending with the mark of the entry button (hard return). I can't close the segment because Trados can't find the end of that paragraph.

any suggestion ?

many thanks

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
amazing! :-( Sep 1, 2007

I have the same problem...right now!!
I was browsing the forums to find a solution and I found this one!
Hope somebody will help. Good luck to both of us

[Edited at 2007-09-01 14:08]

Anne-Sophie Aboké
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
;) Sep 1, 2007

héhé!
I am sorry for you.
I did "Fix the document", in vain. I do have a hard return, so there is an end to the paragraph.
I did Ctrl Alt Suppr to close the problematic doc and re-opened it, as I expected, it was re-opened with the segment open, displaying the same error message.
Currently, I just opened the original document in English, resaved it under another name .FR1 (the other was just .FR) and restarted my translation with what was already saved in the memory.
... See more
héhé!
I am sorry for you.
I did "Fix the document", in vain. I do have a hard return, so there is an end to the paragraph.
I did Ctrl Alt Suppr to close the problematic doc and re-opened it, as I expected, it was re-opened with the segment open, displaying the same error message.
Currently, I just opened the original document in English, resaved it under another name .FR1 (the other was just .FR) and restarted my translation with what was already saved in the memory. I carefully skipped the fatal paragraph.

Don't know what to do!
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
problem fixed! Sep 1, 2007

A Trados angel came to my rescue and thanks to his advices I was able to fix the problem.
I my case I had evidently pressed ENTER at the end of the sentence, so there was an unnecessary space that Trados interpreted as error.
I removed the space and now everything is working fine, hopefully this is the right solution for you as well.

Another trick might be:
Trados menu> Toggle Tag Protection
then you will have to copy a "sound" tag and paste it in the doc
... See more
A Trados angel came to my rescue and thanks to his advices I was able to fix the problem.
I my case I had evidently pressed ENTER at the end of the sentence, so there was an unnecessary space that Trados interpreted as error.
I removed the space and now everything is working fine, hopefully this is the right solution for you as well.

Another trick might be:
Trados menu> Toggle Tag Protection
then you will have to copy a "sound" tag and paste it in the document where the error message is displayed, in place of a corrupted one.

Let me know. Good luck.

[Edited at 2007-09-01 16:08]
Collapse

Alvaro Antunes
Alvaro Antunes
Local time: 10:18
English to Portuguese
Lack of a 'hard return' Sep 1, 2007

This happens a lot with formatted Word files, when a section of the document ends without a 'hard return' (that shows up as paragraph mark, the same as the command).

Just close the translation unit, go to the end of the paragraph and press . Sometimes you'll end up with an extra line, most of the times not.

But then you get Trados the 'hard return' it needs.

(If an extra line was added, you can delete the 'soft return' or delete your 'hard return' you inclu
... See more
This happens a lot with formatted Word files, when a section of the document ends without a 'hard return' (that shows up as paragraph mark, the same as the command).

Just close the translation unit, go to the end of the paragraph and press . Sometimes you'll end up with an extra line, most of the times not.

But then you get Trados the 'hard return' it needs.

(If an extra line was added, you can delete the 'soft return' or delete your 'hard return' you included after cleaning up the file)
Collapse

Anne-Sophie Aboké
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I have the "hard return" Sep 1, 2007

The very problem is that I can't close my translation unit! that Is the problem I am trying to solve. I already have the hard return (the mark you get when you press enter). so what is the problem?

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Fix document... Sep 2, 2007

Have you tried the fix document command that sometimes helps if you cannot open or close a segment...

Martin

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"...pressed ENTER..." Sep 2, 2007

tI my case I had evidently pressed ENTER at the end of the sentence, so there was an unnecessary space ...

were it space, it would be OK, but it was not a space, it was a hard break (Carriage return linefeed), and this is what makes the TRADOS absolutely gaga.

If somewthing similar happens to me, I show hidden text and usually see inverted P smile at me between the trados bars. Taking it out, makes the segment behave again

xeniartius (X)
xeniartius (X)
Türkiye
Local time: 16:18
Turkish to English
+ ...
a simple solution for end of paragraph problem :) Feb 1, 2009

Yeah, I just encountered same problem. I solved it as such, but I am not sure this will solve all end of paragraph problems, we will see;
Open your doc. in view format, which is the first option in the view tab of word. Then find the place where you faced this problem; probably immediately after the last sentence that you just translated. There you will see a dotted line and written "Section Break" (Continuous) in the middle. Just highlight and then delete "Section Break" (Continuous) nor
... See more
Yeah, I just encountered same problem. I solved it as such, but I am not sure this will solve all end of paragraph problems, we will see;
Open your doc. in view format, which is the first option in the view tab of word. Then find the place where you faced this problem; probably immediately after the last sentence that you just translated. There you will see a dotted line and written "Section Break" (Continuous) in the middle. Just highlight and then delete "Section Break" (Continuous) normal way as you do all the times... Now, just launch the trados; go on happy with your trados...
So it seems that it is basically a word problem, but ones encounter when using trados...
I hope this will work, it worked for me

Can
Collapse

Marina Marinova
Marina Marinova
Switzerland
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Same problem with a variation Feb 12, 2009

I see you had the same problem like I have but with mine.

I can not even open the word file to translate it. And it is a file of 4 sentences.

Is it maybe because I use SDL 2006 with Vista and Word 2007? Please help.

Mabel del Val Núñez
Mabel del Val Núñez
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Can, Sep 16, 2009

xeniartius wrote:

Open your doc. in view format, which is the first option in the view tab of word. Then find the place where you faced this problem; probably immediately after the last sentence that you just translated. There you will see a dotted line and written "Section Break" (Continuous) in the middle. Just highlight and then delete "Section Break" (Continuous) normal way as you do all the times... Now, just launch the trados; go on happy with your trados...
So it seems that it is basically a word problem, but ones encounter when using trados...
I hope this will work, it worked for me

Can

Laura Ramos
Laura Ramos  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:18
English to Spanish
Fixed it with Word Apr 25, 2017

Hi, everyone!

I was able lo fix this 33353 error directly in Word. In my case it was a Table of Contents. Trados was able to translate the whole doc but not the table. I tried everything I'd found in the forums and nothing.
But... I just created a new table of contents once I'd finished translating the whole document.

... See more
Hi, everyone!

I was able lo fix this 33353 error directly in Word. In my case it was a Table of Contents. Trados was able to translate the whole doc but not the table. I tried everything I'd found in the forums and nothing.
But... I just created a new table of contents once I'd finished translating the whole document.

Here is how to do it:
English link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-a-table-of-contents-in-Word-882e8564-0edb-435e-84b5-1d8552ccf0c0
Spanish link: https://support.office.com/es-es/article/Crear-una-tabla-de-contenido-5eaadd8f-efa5-4791-84ba-746383b97ecb?ui=es-ES&rs=es-ES&ad=ES&fromAR=1

Hope this will help!
Laura
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Has to be "fixed" in Word anway Apr 26, 2017

LRamos wrote:
Hi, everyone!
I was able lo fix this 33353 error directly in Word. In my case it was a Table of Contents. Trados was able to translate the whole doc but not the table. I tried everything I'd found in the forums and nothing. But... I just created a new table of contents once I'd finished translating the whole document.

Maybe there is something I'm misunderstanding, but you normally do not translate a ToC in a CAT tool, since it is generated in Word. So what you did, is what I would also normally do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

33353 : end of paragraph not found

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »