Develop my application using ASP.NET Core. Need suggesstion
Thread poster: BigCap
BigCap
BigCap
Heard, McDonald Isl.
Jul 13, 2017

Hello All,

I've been working on personal project management and invoicing app for years. Never thought about opening it for public access, but things has changed and I decided to offer it to community. There are tons of similar software. but non of them fulfilled my needs, so I used my own. Features are common: customers, projects, quotes, deadlines, invoices, stats, and some others. App also allows to import existing data. Many new features are still planned to be implemented.
... See more
Hello All,

I've been working on personal project management and invoicing app for years. Never thought about opening it for public access, but things has changed and I decided to offer it to community. There are tons of similar software. but non of them fulfilled my needs, so I used my own. Features are common: customers, projects, quotes, deadlines, invoices, stats, and some others. App also allows to import existing data. Many new features are still planned to be implemented.

This application is almost done and I want to test deploy it on hosting server. I have found 2 until 3 hosting providers that support ASP.NET Core. I found hostforlife.eu that might quite suitable to host my asp.net core. This is the first time I deploy my application to the server. Is there any obstacles to deploy it? Please share your opinion here.

Thank you
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 19:48
English to German
It's a technical risk if you are doing it for the first time ever Jul 13, 2017

Apparently you want to offer a cloud-based solution. Many translators don't like that. Anyway you have to provide a very reliable software: The host should never crash. This might be a problem with ASPs. Additionally, the license management must survive any event on the client's side and on the host. And as soon as you have got some paying clients, you are somewhat limited regarding modifications of the system.

Compared with a simple download webspace incl a 400 line PHP license ma
... See more
Apparently you want to offer a cloud-based solution. Many translators don't like that. Anyway you have to provide a very reliable software: The host should never crash. This might be a problem with ASPs. Additionally, the license management must survive any event on the client's side and on the host. And as soon as you have got some paying clients, you are somewhat limited regarding modifications of the system.

Compared with a simple download webspace incl a 400 line PHP license management there will be much more things to be considered.
Collapse

BigCap
BigCap
Heard, McDonald Isl.
TOPIC STARTER
Suggesstion Jul 14, 2017

So, your suggestion is go with cloud server hosting? Do you have any recommendation? Or do you have any suggestion that might be better? As explained, my project is almost done and I want to test it online. I also contacted hostforlife.eu and they said that they can handle our project. Any advice is really appreciated.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:48
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@BigCap: Jul 16, 2017

Not sure, but you might want to contact Eugene, the developer of BaccS (see: http://www.ibaccs.com ), as I know he started BaccS as an online solution, after deciding to make it a desktop-based program. That is, I know he also hosted (still does?) the online version of BaccS.

Michael

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 19:48
English to German
I meant offline instead of online Jul 17, 2017

[quote]BigCap wrote:

So, your suggestion is go with cloud server hosting?

No, "webspace" in my answer means a passive, from the web accessible folder (incl subfolders) on a server. There you can place your software, and any user can download and install an instance of it on his/her individual computer. Once installed the only connection to the web is for licensing purposes.

If, OTOH, there is only one single instance (ASP.NET solution), all users depend on that instance all the time. As you are not Mr Microsoft with a huge amount of money and human resources this scenario might cause problems.

BTW, I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just pointing out that there might be some problems. As I'm a one-man-show, I prefer the KISS approach (keep it simple & straightforward).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Develop my application using ASP.NET Core. Need suggesstion

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »