Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Subtitling translation tests
Thread poster: Lenka
Mohamed Naim
Mohamed Naim
Local time: 08:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
I am a littel late but I will send you a copy of a test I took recently Mar 5, 2006

Lenka wrote:

Hello everyone,

If anyone has blank subtitling translation tests from the subtitling companies, would you mind forwarding them to me?
I would really appreciate it. I am trying to train myself as a subtitler.

Thank you very much,

Lenka

Good luck with your practise.

Pavel Constantinov
Pavel Constantinov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:54
Member (2016)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Is this post still actual? Mar 9, 2006

Lenka wrote:

Hello everyone,

If anyone has blank subtitling translation tests from the subtitling companies, would you mind forwarding them to me?
I would really appreciate it. I am trying to train myself as a subtitler.

Thank you very much,

Lenka

I hope you no longer have a need of subtitling tests and you have advanced in your subtitler career during all this time; however, if you still need tests, I could send you a few

Tuncay Kurt
Tuncay Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
Me Too. Apr 19, 2006

Hello there,

As a cinephile i would love to work as a subtitle translator/subtitler, i have translated the subtitle of a movie before but i want to improve myself and "BE" in the cinema environment.

But before exhibiting myself to the firms i want to improve myself with those test stuff. Can any one who told that he/she had a test send me those stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Marija Nenadovic
Marija Nenadovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 13:54
English to Serbian
+ ...
the same tests please Feb 4, 2010

Hello to all,
I would be very thankful if anyone could send me a subtitling transaltion test as I am interested in this area of business.
Thank you all

Sonic999
Sonic999
English to Spanish
Actions speak louder than words Mar 14, 2010

This post is about 6 years old, and nobody even bothered to upload one of those tests, not even the guys who said they had some.
So, IMHO, instead of just saying you have something and that you will send it if someone requests it (keep in mind that posts can be read years after you published it - for example I've just read it and was also wondering what the test would look like), SIMPLY SEND IT! Upload it to some server (rapidshare, megaupload - though these delete files after a certain pe
... See more
This post is about 6 years old, and nobody even bothered to upload one of those tests, not even the guys who said they had some.
So, IMHO, instead of just saying you have something and that you will send it if someone requests it (keep in mind that posts can be read years after you published it - for example I've just read it and was also wondering what the test would look like), SIMPLY SEND IT! Upload it to some server (rapidshare, megaupload - though these delete files after a certain period of 0 downloads), upload it to your email and then ask people to send you an email so you can forward it to them.

Just to help the topic, I'd say a good test for a subtitling company would be to grab 5 minutes of a movie with plenty of slang (e.g. teen comedies like American Pie, other movies like Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Brad Pitt's Snatch). If you can make a proper subtitle for that, and it doesn't take you too long, then you're good and the company will most likely hire you. If you can't, just keep studying and getting better... you will be able to get the job done, eventually.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe... Mar 14, 2010

Sonic999 wrote:
... SIMPLY SEND IT! Upload it to some server (rapidshare, megaupload - though these delete files after a certain period of 0 downloads), upload it to your email and then ask people to send you an email so you can forward it to them.

This only works if your e-mail service is unlimited volume IMAP account, not POP3. Mine is, nevertheless I chose to upload a few sample clips to a less visible part of the PT section of my web site, at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/videos.html . As I live in Brazil, most of the videos I've translated into EN were company proprietary material, so I didn't get authorization to make any part of them public. Of course, AV quality was significantly downgraded, since regardless of their Internet speed, most people won't have the time/patience to download a hi-quality version.

Sonic999 wrote:
Just to help the topic, I'd say a good test for a subtitling company would be to grab 5 minutes of a movie with plenty of slang (e.g. teen comedies like American Pie, other movies like Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Brad Pitt's Snatch). If you can make a proper subtitle for that, and it doesn't take you too long, then you're good and the company will most likely hire you. If you can't, just keep studying and getting better... you will be able to get the job done, eventually.

It depends on what you are up to, translationwise. As many films I translated for dubbing were done by the same people who dub for Disney, I learned a couple of things about them. First, Disney demands uncompromising top quality, perfection in all their dubbed/subbed films. Second, every film Disney sends out for translation includes a complete and accurate script, with comments in half a dozen languages about the key expressions used there.

On the other hand, an American slang master translator may be befuddled by the language used in, say, a film about ancient British history.

Jean-marc Doumenc
Jean-marc Doumenc  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:54
English to French
The other "subtitling" post Mar 18, 2010

Hi Lenka,

I don't get where the post with useful links regarding subtitling is exactly... Could you tell me?
Thanks,

Jean-marc

Lenka wrote:

Hi Paul,

If you are in London, you can attend a \"Subtitling conference\" there which takes place between 6.-7. February, I believe. Check www.surrey.ac.uk/LIS/CTS/insomanywords.htm. Also, under my name is another posting called \"Subtitling\" where you can find some very useful links.

Good luck!

Lenka

Paul Lambert wrote:

I don\'t have any subtitling tests, but was wondering if you (or anyone else out there) could tell me how to go about becoming a subtitler. It\'s something I have always been interested in doing, but I\'m not quite sure how to go about doing it - are there exams/courses to take? Any helo would be greatly appreciated - and good luck Lenka with findint those tests!

Best wishes,

Paul

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:54
English to Hungarian
+ ...
jeanmarcdoumenc, Mar 20, 2010

wrote:

Hi Lenka,

I don't get where the post with useful links regarding subtitling is exactly... Could you tell me?
Thanks,

Jean-marc

Lenka wrote:
If you are in London, you can attend a \"Subtitling conference\" there which takes place between 6.-7. February, I believe. Check www.surrey.ac.uk/LIS/CTS/insomanywords.htm. Also, under my name is another posting called \"Subtitling\" where you can find some very useful links.

Lenka

Don't wait up for it, this is 6 years old post.

yasser Boubou
yasser Boubou
Syria
Local time: 15:54
Arabic to English
+ ...
Guidelines for subtitles' segmentation: Aug 18, 2016

1- limit your words to:
6 words per 1 line
12 words per 2 lines

2- Double space (ENTER) between sentences

3- Use the - (dashes-when there is dialogues)
-
-

4- Proper nouns should be written inside parenthesis
5- Standard quoting (double quotes) should apply to relevant voices
... See more
1- limit your words to:
6 words per 1 line
12 words per 2 lines

2- Double space (ENTER) between sentences

3- Use the - (dashes-when there is dialogues)
-
-

4- Proper nouns should be written inside parenthesis
5- Standard quoting (double quotes) should apply to relevant voices off-screen
This is part of the the test
Hey.
Oh, great. All right, all hands on deck on this one. Blast circumference…roughly eighteen by twelve. We got three dead and several dozen injured. So, let's...let's get on it.
All right, I'll look for bomb parts.
I'll shoot the overalls.
Henry and I'll document the detonation blast area.
Okay, I'll measure, you photo...
So, uh, I know you're applying for the directorship.
Oh…
Stage doesn't get any bigger than this, Sara. You want this case? Good. It's yours. (exhales) I know this is gonna sound insensitive, but don't you think a bomber wearing a vest would've taken out way more people than this?
Collapse

XENA10
XENA10
Italy
Local time: 13:54
Italian to English
Subtitling Test Mar 25, 2020

Joanna Borowska wrote:

LilyRose, I think the $30 payment was just a joke, otherwise I would be quite surprised, too. Anyway, if you need subtitling tests, I'll be happy to help you - free of charge

Joanna

can you please help me , am trying to study to take this test ?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling translation tests

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »