Frédéric Drago
Frédéric Drago
Spain
Local time: 22:47
English to French
+ ...
Aug 27, 2016

Hello !

I live in Spain and work there as an antonomo so I pay IVA/IRPF. I have the possibility to deduct from my tax all the things I buy if they are used for my work (internet, electricity...)
I will buy soon a new computer and will of course use it for my work. It will probably cost +800€. But at the same time, I will also use it for personal use (internet, to watch movies, gaming...)

So my question is : can I deduct all or part of this new computer from my t
... See more
Hello !

I live in Spain and work there as an antonomo so I pay IVA/IRPF. I have the possibility to deduct from my tax all the things I buy if they are used for my work (internet, electricity...)
I will buy soon a new computer and will of course use it for my work. It will probably cost +800€. But at the same time, I will also use it for personal use (internet, to watch movies, gaming...)

So my question is : can I deduct all or part of this new computer from my tax if this is not something that I will exclusively use for my work ? I can't find the answer on internet so if someone can tell me, it would be fantastic.

Thank you !
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
At least some of the cost Aug 27, 2016

FredericD wrote:

So my question is : can I deduct all or part of this new computer from my tax if this is not something that I will exclusively use for my work ?

You can certainly deduct the percentage you calculate is for professional use. But if that's a high percentage then I personally would put all of it down to that. My accountant seems to think it's OK for me to put 100% of my Movistar payments to the business, even though I use my phone a bit for non-work purposes and I use it for TV too. Movistar threw in TV for free way back so I feel justified in claiming for about 95%. That's too much hassle so I claim 100%. OTOH, on his advice I claim for 10% of electricity only - the percentage of the house I use for work.

But even my own accountant won't give me instructions and he always talks in probabilities. In other words, it's my responsibility. And his fee is for...?!

Frédéric Drago
Frédéric Drago
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 26, 2016

Thank you very much for your reply.

If someone else wants to share his experience/advice, I would appreciate.

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Similar as Sheila Sep 26, 2016

Hello,

My computer is my right arm. I wouldn't be able to work without it (I wonder what would my clients say if I deliver a handwritten translation ). That's why I deduct 100% of its value.

Regards,
M.

[Edited at 2016-09-26 08:33 GMT]

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, but... Sep 26, 2016

be careful. A 800 € computer is not an expense. It's an investment (asset), because it's worth more than 300.00 €. You can deduct the cost over several years according to the depreciation rules.
My advice: check the Ley del Impuesto sobre Sociedades yourself to be sure.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Distinction Sep 26, 2016

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos wrote:

be careful. A 800 € computer is not an expense. It's an investment (asset), because it's worth more than 300.00 €. You can deduct the cost over several years according to the depreciation rules.

Yep, it'll be depreciated over 3 years I think, but the VAT (which I'm assuming is included in the €800) is deducted the same quarter and I'm not sure where "Sociedades" comes into it.

Is the asker a company?

Frédéric Drago
Frédéric Drago
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 26, 2016

Thank you for your answers.

No, I am not a company, just autonomo.

Monika, do you use your computer only for work or also in your private life (internet, to watch movies...) ?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Everything! Sep 26, 2016

You basically depreciate the whole value of the machine over the legal time. Tax authorities cannot prove (even if they cared about it) that you use it for private purposes, but you can easily prove that you need it for work purposes.

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Who has time to read 300 pages of taxalese? Sep 26, 2016

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos wrote:

Yep, it'll be depreciated over 3 years I think, but the VAT (which I'm assuming is included in the €800) is deducted the same quarter and I'm not sure where "Sociedades" comes into it.

Is the asker a company?

I am afraid that all "autónomos" are subject to that that law. I quote from the Ley del Impuesto sobre la Renta de las Personas Físicas, Artículo 14: "Los rendimientos de actividades económicas se imputarán conforme a lo dispuesto en la normativa reguladora del Impuesto sobre Sociedades, sin perjuicio de las especialidades que reglamentariamente puedan establecerse."

As far as I know, the Ley del Impuesto sobre la Renta de las Personas Físicas does not establish the depreciation rates/periods, you'll find those in the Ley del Impuesto sobre Sociedades.

I am not an accountant, each of those laws has more than 150 pages, and also our governments like to change the law every single year, so I can be wrong.

My new advice to FredericD: move to an entrepreneur friendly country :/

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
yes and no Sep 27, 2016

FredericD wrote:

Monika, do you use your computer only for work or also in your private life (internet, to watch movies...) ?

I don't watch movies on it, but I do give it a private use (internet, skype).

M.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax deduction in Spain for new computer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »