PMI and CAPM worth it?
Thread poster: olivia abreu
olivia abreu
olivia abreu  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 20, 2015

Hello, just a year ago I applied for a job as a project manager at a translation company, no experience, nothing......but determine to obtain a position at a translation co. Needless to say, I didnt get the job. I found this deal at Groupon from e-careers, and I'm not sure if it's worth my time and effort. Besides, it is compatible with the industry, or should I go after an specific course of project management for translators only? Please, can someone shed some light.....

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:25
French to English
+ ...
No. Feb 21, 2015

I should admit that until 2 minutes ago I didn't know what CAPM is and thought that PMI stands for private mortgage insurance. Now, armed with the new knowledge, I'd say that getting this kind of training would probably be barking up the wrong tree. The vast majority of "project managers" at translation companies have fairly little to do with real project management - they ought to be called account executives. Sure, one needs to have some understanding of time and resource planning... but if yo... See more
I should admit that until 2 minutes ago I didn't know what CAPM is and thought that PMI stands for private mortgage insurance. Now, armed with the new knowledge, I'd say that getting this kind of training would probably be barking up the wrong tree. The vast majority of "project managers" at translation companies have fairly little to do with real project management - they ought to be called account executives. Sure, one needs to have some understanding of time and resource planning... but if you can plan your own time and resources well enough not to be late for work nor run out of money before payday, you are already good to go.Collapse

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:25
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
No harm Feb 21, 2015

I can't speak for other parts of the world, but here in the UK, PMI is generally valued highly. As Anton stated, it probably isn't required by most agencies. But the qualifications aren't that expensive either. They may help you achieve your PM goal, they may not.

I would look at it the other way around: People who attend these courses often already hold a position in this field and need a few pieces of paper to get their next promotion. You do business translations. These are peop
... See more
I can't speak for other parts of the world, but here in the UK, PMI is generally valued highly. As Anton stated, it probably isn't required by most agencies. But the qualifications aren't that expensive either. They may help you achieve your PM goal, they may not.

I would look at it the other way around: People who attend these courses often already hold a position in this field and need a few pieces of paper to get their next promotion. You do business translations. These are people you want to network with. They may well send the odd job your way. I even found two clients on a coursera course in the past - with maybe half a year's delay. It never hurts to network with future decision-makers.
Moreover, as you also learn the PM terminology and certain concepts, this may be of benefit in related translations. I did a reasonable amount of seminar and course material the past year and a half. Direct clients really appreciate any form of CPD, even if not directly related to translation or their specific field. Because this is how the management world works and direct clients can relate to that.

So, unless the cost and/or time-investment of such a course is a major barrier, it certainly won't do any harm.
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
It still remains a mystery what CAPM is Feb 21, 2015

Capital Assets Pricing Model? Can someone please enlighten me?

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:25
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Certificate Associate in Project Management Feb 21, 2015

The Misha wrote:

Capital Assets Pricing Model? Can someone please enlighten me?

The entry level certificate offered by the Project Management Institute.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Probably valued and rewarded in the top echelon of agencies Feb 21, 2015

Project management is a very important role in the translation industry but, in my opinion, this a far cry from the all-important role it plays in other industries.

The Project Management Institute is the world's leading not-for-profit professional membership association for the project, program and portfolio management profession. Founded in 1969, PMI delivers value for more than 2.9 million professionals working in nearly every cou
... See more
Project management is a very important role in the translation industry but, in my opinion, this a far cry from the all-important role it plays in other industries.

The Project Management Institute is the world's leading not-for-profit professional membership association for the project, program and portfolio management profession. Founded in 1969, PMI delivers value for more than 2.9 million professionals working in nearly every country in the world through global advocacy, collaboration, education and research.

The PMI offers several certifications such as the Certified Associate in Project Management or CAPM®, that demonstrates your understanding of the fundamental knowledge, terminology and processes of effective project management.

To apply for the CAPM, you need to have a secondary degree (high school diploma or the global equivalent) and either at least 1,500 hours of project experience or 23 hours of project management education by the time you sit for the exam. Requirements are even harder for the top Project Management Professional or PMP® certification.

I believe that for working in many agencies the CAPM certification will be appreciated but probably not paid. On the other hand, I imagine that the top translation or localization companies will understand and reward the CAPM or PMP certification.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto, PMP
Collapse

olivia abreu
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!!🌻 Feb 22, 2015

I would like to thank all of you for your time and opinions, that were really interesting. I now believe my insecurity about it relies on the fact that I have never work as a translator before, rescently graduated from an AS in trans/intrp and trying really hard to get into the translation business, so I thought PMI or CAPM would boost my chances but......

[Edited at 2015-02-23 18:19 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
PMI or CAPM Feb 22, 2015

olivia abreu wrote:

I would like to thank all of you for your time and opinions, that were really interesting. I now believe my insecurity about it relies on the fact that I have never work as a translator before, rescently graduated from an AS in trans/intrp and trying really hard to get into the translation business, so I thought PMI or CAPM would boost my chances but......

Just a detail: PMI is the institute issuing the certification, and PMP and CAPM are some of the certifications issued by PMI.
Regards,
Enrique

olivia abreu
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ops... Feb 23, 2015

oops...sorry, thanks 🌻

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PMI and CAPM worth it?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »