Portugal
Local time: 06:44
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Couldn't agree more Dec 17, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

This argument reminds me of what a potential client told me upon receiving my quote.

I could buy a dictionary at this price

Luckily for our profession no amount of dictionaries or glossaries may replace a translator.

Cheers
Stanislaw

Hi Stanislaw,

Couldn't agree more. That's why I want to continue to be a translator and not an editor for machine translation

Best.

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:44
Member (2008)
English to French
Received, skimmed, binned Dec 17, 2010

end of that

If I have extra time (hopefully over the Holidays), I have better uses for my time than populate a public glossary that might later stab me in the back : update my elance profile (neglected for years now!), recreate a distinct TM for a regular client (currently their stuff is "lost" in my master but I have all the .BAK files) and spend a day building a glossary for the same client (have been procrastinatin
... See more
end of that

If I have extra time (hopefully over the Holidays), I have better uses for my time than populate a public glossary that might later stab me in the back : update my elance profile (neglected for years now!), recreate a distinct TM for a regular client (currently their stuff is "lost" in my master but I have all the .BAK files) and spend a day building a glossary for the same client (have been procrastinating for years on that one!).

What better things to you have to do before you contribute to a public online glossary out of your control? (at least Kudoz is somewhat peer reviewed!)
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:44
French to German
+ ...
And? Dec 17, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

This argument reminds me of what a potential client told me upon receiving my quote.

I could buy a dictionary at this price

Luckily for our profession no amount of dictionaries or glossaries may replace a translator.

Cheers
Stanislaw

Did he buy it?

fata-s
fata-s
Italian to English
! Dec 17, 2010

Thanks everybody. This post was a good reminder not to let our guard down.

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry, but it's not Google.... Aug 5, 2011

I am afraid that the whole discussion is biased - Termwiki.com does NOT belong to Google, but to a Chinese translation agency - CSOFT.

I've worked for those guys - very demanding but also prompt payers. I would assume that they have set up this wiki to get a free terminology database. Well, if people can get recognition in exchange for links and/or publicity, that's up to them to decide whether it's worth the effort.

But, as stated, this has NOTHING to do with Google!

Daniel Pestana
Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Ramon Aug 5, 2011

Hi Ramon,

Many thanks for clearing this up for us.

Kind regards.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Relax, it's not 1984. Aug 12, 2011

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

I'm no big fan of Google trying to achieve world domination on the web, but I think you might have to change the thread's topic.

That is, unless you know more about the big G's connection with Csoft, the company that appears to be behind TermWiki.com.

Indeed, CSOFT has nothing to do with Google.

Fear mongering (or scaremongering) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic, sometimes in the form of a vicious circle. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_mongering)

Michael

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:44
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
recruting Aug 12, 2011

now they are trying to recruit translators at a "rate of pay for each term translated ... below the market average."

I don't know if I can link the job offer here, but you can find it under their blueboard. The name of the company has been stated in a previous post.

P.

Elisa Vannoni (X)
Elisa Vannoni (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
job offers from TermWiki Aug 25, 2011

I've received some "job offers" in which "professional translators" invite other translators to join the community of TermWiki, in order to contribute to global communication among people, to show our best skills and the likes.
BUT it is not clear wether they pay or not. In a post they say that TermWiki Team is offering a payment for those who translate over than 3000 terms, in another post I read that participants that enter qualified translations for terms at TermWiki are paid, based on
... See more
I've received some "job offers" in which "professional translators" invite other translators to join the community of TermWiki, in order to contribute to global communication among people, to show our best skills and the likes.
BUT it is not clear wether they pay or not. In a post they say that TermWiki Team is offering a payment for those who translate over than 3000 terms, in another post I read that participants that enter qualified translations for terms at TermWiki are paid, based on the number of terms they translate, a token fee for each term, which is only 1 US cent per term.

In their Terms of Use they do not mention any payment.
I only find this:
"You agree that this license includes the right for CSOFT to make such Materials available to other companies, organizations or individuals for the distribution or publication of such Materials on other media and services with no compensation paid to you with respect to the Materials that you submit, post, transmit or otherwise make available through the Website".

As a professional translator I feel offended by this kind of "job opportunities".
I'd be very glad to contribute to global communication for free, but nobody should take monetary advantage of it.

Elisa
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 01:44
Member (2011)
English to German
How is your experience with the TermWiki widget? Jun 23, 2012

Daniel Pestana wrote:

Well, I wasn't sure if this is the right topic, but here it goes.

I wasn't quite sure where to put this either, so I thought I'd put it here.

I have just seen the ad from TermWiki on ProZ's home page here:
http://ads.proz.com/delivery/ck.php?oaparams=2__bannerid=2301__zoneid=17__cb=0c21e9bf7f__oadest=http://www.termwiki.com/widget_about

Has anyone of you embedded this widget into his website yet? How is your experience?

[Edited at 2012-06-23 23:13 GMT]

Nina Gribanova
Nina Gribanova
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:44
English to Russian
+ ...
CSOFT - prompt payers?? Aug 10, 2016

Ramon Somoza wrote:

I am afraid that the whole discussion is biased - Termwiki.com does NOT belong to Google, but to a Chinese translation agency - CSOFT.

I've worked for those guys - very demanding but also prompt payers.

I haven't seen my payment since the beginning of March '15. VERY prompt! And it looks like these guys aren't going to pay at all: they just keep ignoring my emails about payment.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google wants to trick us: TermWiki.com

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »