Melek Kilic
Melek Kilic
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:59
Turkish to English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2016

Hey,

I found some previous post from a few years ago, but I was wondering if anyone, preferably someone who is also currently preparing for the DPSI or passed it in the past years, has a recommendation for a good legal dictionary? I found some options on Amazon, but they were either too focused on the US or no thorough enough. Thanks for any help

A. & S. Witte
A. & S. Witte
Germany
Local time: 22:59
German to English
+ ...
The Romain is better than the Dietl/Lorenz Oct 19, 2016

PieDeli wrote:

Hey,

I found some previous post from a few years ago, but I was wondering if anyone, preferably someone who is also currently preparing for the DPSI or passed it in the past years, has a recommendation for a good legal dictionary? I found some options on Amazon, but they were either too focused on the US or no thorough enough. Thanks for any help

Hi,

Leaving aside the aspect of the cost-benefit ratio for a moment, the Romain is better than the Dietl/Lorenz. Not by miles but by a potentially decisive "four and a half inches" as it were. Also, even the Romain at 60,000 is not exactly small in terms of the number of entries so my recommendation would be to check out this one first and only get the other one if you don't like the Romain (things to check include, besides translation quality and alphabetical/entry classification principles used, the font size and paper thickness - the book's size being just perfect). The downside: the Romain, as opposed to the Dietl/Lorenz, is not and probably will never be available in an electronic format.

If you are looking for a general legal dictionary, these two are the only ones worth mentioning I am aware of even though there are many.

If, in turn, you are also interested in obtaining an IP law dictionary, I can recommend these two (no preference):

Kettler -- Uexküll. I should add that the Kettler is definitely the lesser known newcomer here and is hence not accepted yet by some in the IP translation scene -- just yet. But like I said, no preference here, both should be equally suited, apart from the fact that the Kettler lacks the renown. There are not so many IP law dictionaries to choose from, to the point where one could say: they are really the only ones on the market and they still both happen to be fine. No electronic format here, at least not as of the time I last checked (2015).

Cheers,

Sebastian Witte

[Edited at 2016-10-19 17:45 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
If it's not a silly question... Oct 19, 2016

... why would anyone with internet access need a paper dictionary any more?

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
For the DPSI exam (see topic title) Oct 19, 2016

philgoddard wrote:

peixe
peixe
Member (2005)
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Creifelds Oct 19, 2016

I think the Creifels is a good dictionary. Regards, Peixe.

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Internet is not everything Dec 26, 2016

Diana Coada wrote:

philgoddard wrote:

Because in the legal field the usual internet resources are rather weak.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI: Good German legal dictionary needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »