Off topic: What I love about translation...
Thread poster: Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:34
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 20, 2008

We all seem to spend a lot of time complaining about our work, so I thought I would get you all to share what you like - or love - about translation. I think it's important to focus on the positive apects.

Me first:

* I love the fact that I learn something new every day
* I love producing a text that is pleasant to read
* I love working flexible hours

Have a nice weekend - don't work to much!

Ivana

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
I love... Jun 20, 2008

1. Respect that we get as a translator as compared to the way you are treated as an employee in an organisation. [Most of my ex-colleagues would say that I don't have any reason to complain, but...]

2. Lack of office politics. I hated it (office politics) then. I hate it now. I am a simple, straight-forward person and these things really take out a lot from your life. As a translator, I have more friends that I can trust and it is important for me.

3. Flexible timi
... See more
1. Respect that we get as a translator as compared to the way you are treated as an employee in an organisation. [Most of my ex-colleagues would say that I don't have any reason to complain, but...]

2. Lack of office politics. I hated it (office politics) then. I hate it now. I am a simple, straight-forward person and these things really take out a lot from your life. As a translator, I have more friends that I can trust and it is important for me.

3. Flexible timings.

4. Flexible work-place. I can work and travel...

5. No need to dress up: I don't like spending half my life getting dressed. And in most offices, at least in India, people are always well-dressed. And one thing I've never been able to figure out is: how do they manage to keep their hair so tidy throughout the day? I am really bad at this. I just can't keep my hands off my hair, especially when I'm thinking!!! I hope I'm not the only one... at least now I don't have to feel bad because my hair is not tidy

6. I can spend as much time with my near and dear ones as we want to.

7. Friendly business relations and people I can trust. I can't work if I have to worry all the time.

8. Feeling of actually doing something. You have a tangible result of what you did the whole day. In an office, your work is just one part of the whole process...

I think, I can really go on for hours...

I love my profession and am happy...

Have a nice weekend everyone and hope that all of you are as happy as I am

[Edited at 2008-06-20 08:31]
Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:34
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Networking Jun 20, 2008

Ritu Bhanot wrote:
how do they manage to keep their hair so tidy throughout the day?

Well, I'm developping what a friend called the translator's roots
I agree 100% with Ritu.

Apart from that... I like the feeling of being part of a global community.
I'm planning a journey to Georgia, I posted in the Georgian forum and I'll probably meet my peers there, maybe I'll even organize a powwow (well, I already did in Poland and Romania). A friend of mine, engineer, said: God, I'll never travel to a country and meet other engineers

Ciao
Paola

Nisreen Barakat
Nisreen Barakat  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 15:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
What I love about Translation Jun 20, 2008

I love the challenge of having to use your creativity to create a comprehensible and coherent text in the target language

I also agree with the points of view of the other colleagues

Lynda Tharratt
Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:34
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
what I love about this thread Jun 20, 2008

It's so refreshing to read such a positive thread! I agree with all of the above. Also I hope to migrate with the seasons (winter down south and summer up north) within the next year or two so this job is perfect for that. I'll add two more...

1) I love feeling proud of what I do. I'm not a scientist or a physician, etc. but I can help other professionals to share their knowledge with the world.
2) I'm rarely bored by my job. The hours are varied and so is the subject matter a
... See more
It's so refreshing to read such a positive thread! I agree with all of the above. Also I hope to migrate with the seasons (winter down south and summer up north) within the next year or two so this job is perfect for that. I'll add two more...

1) I love feeling proud of what I do. I'm not a scientist or a physician, etc. but I can help other professionals to share their knowledge with the world.
2) I'm rarely bored by my job. The hours are varied and so is the subject matter and this is very good for a restless soul such as myself.

Thanks for posting this thread!
Lynda
Collapse

Jack Qin
Jack Qin  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
We all share the same or similar viewpoint Jun 20, 2008

I am also very much fond of translation. In the year of 2005, I quit my former job of working as an electrical engineer in a Power Supply Enterprise and then became a full-time freelance translator, interpreter and tour guide.

Hope to meet more friends here.

have a nice weekend.

Jack

Ming Fu, Qi
Ming Fu, Qi  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Excelent Topic! Jun 20, 2008

I need a place where is far off the RACE OF TRANSLATION OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS, where close friends across the globe have a free talk to improve ourselves rather than BLOODY FIGHTING FOR NONSENSE, where words are flowing from the bottom of our heart instead of behind the curtain in invisible distance,...

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Just one thing Jun 20, 2008

I love the fact that I am good at it and hate pretty much everything else.

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:34
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Excellent topic indeed!:) Jun 20, 2008

Being a freelance translator really is a dream job because it is a perfect combination of some of my favorite things: languages, creative writing and cinema.
I love the fact that I can see/hear the result of my work.
I love the fact that I need to find and learn new things with each assignment.
I love the challenge of solving some word/phrase puzzle.
I love the fact of not having to go to some office and before that get dressed in some suit and lose time in crazy traf
... See more
Being a freelance translator really is a dream job because it is a perfect combination of some of my favorite things: languages, creative writing and cinema.
I love the fact that I can see/hear the result of my work.
I love the fact that I need to find and learn new things with each assignment.
I love the challenge of solving some word/phrase puzzle.
I love the fact of not having to go to some office and before that get dressed in some suit and lose time in crazy traffic.
I love the fact that I can work from wherever I want to (I can lay on the beach under a palm tree if I so please).
I love the fact that I am my own boss and its only up to me when I go on holidays and only I decide when my working hours are.
I love the fact that my job gives so much satisfaction.
I love being a freelance translator because I love my job.:)
Collapse

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
learning all sorts of new things Jun 20, 2008

I always thought that I liked being a translator because I could learn about all sorts of different things and not have to tie myself down to just one subject. For years I worked mostly for patent attorneys and dental/medical instrument, pharmaceutical and biotech companies and learned many interesting things - if a little more than I wanted to know about root canal instruments.. Just lately I have been getting a lot of personal work for individuals, and now I suspect that I like being a trans... See more
I always thought that I liked being a translator because I could learn about all sorts of different things and not have to tie myself down to just one subject. For years I worked mostly for patent attorneys and dental/medical instrument, pharmaceutical and biotech companies and learned many interesting things - if a little more than I wanted to know about root canal instruments.. Just lately I have been getting a lot of personal work for individuals, and now I suspect that I like being a translator mostly because I am really nosy. I guess intellectual curiosity and nosiness aren't really unrelated traits.Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

It was a hot and muggy afternoon in late September... Jun 21, 2008

...when I finally got my turn at the drive-through customs office between Canada and the US.

Female customs officer: Is the purpose of your trip to the US for business or pleasure?

Me: Well, both. (I was attending a powwow at the ProZ.com offices in Syracuse NY).

Female customs officer: What is the nature of your business?

Me: I'm a translator. (I explain I translate documents from French to English. I wasn't getting into the sim int details as
... See more
...when I finally got my turn at the drive-through customs office between Canada and the US.

Female customs officer: Is the purpose of your trip to the US for business or pleasure?

Me: Well, both. (I was attending a powwow at the ProZ.com offices in Syracuse NY).

Female customs officer: What is the nature of your business?

Me: I'm a translator. (I explain I translate documents from French to English. I wasn't getting into the sim int details as this point.)

Female customs officer: So how's that job? (first true eye contact)

Me: Excellent, I choose my own customers and work my own hours, from home.

Female customs officer: How's the money?

Me: Pretty good, considering there's no driving, no makeup, no pantyhose...

(meaningful look exchanged between uniformed officer and driver; uniformed officer gives an appreciative raise of the eyebrows)

Just an additional anecdote to everyoe else's remarks, of course I agree 100% with all of you

Nancy

[Edited at 2008-06-24 14:40]
Collapse

Rosina Peixoto
Rosina Peixoto  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Acronym Jun 21, 2008

This is how I feel about being a translator:

True vocation
Rewarding career
Always learning
Never bored
Silent environment
Love for research
A curious nature
Total commitment
Independence
Online work
New expectations

I agree with your viewpoints.

Helen Huthnance
Helen Huthnance  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto! Jun 23, 2008

I agree with the comments posted here so far. I love translation for all the reasons already mentioned.

I am good at it and I truly enjoy translating. I enjoy the flexibility and I love the challenge. It is great to always be learning new things and even when I have a bad text to begin with I value the challenge of making sense out of it.

I also love the sense of community. There are few professions where other professionals share their knowledge and experience
... See more
I agree with the comments posted here so far. I love translation for all the reasons already mentioned.

I am good at it and I truly enjoy translating. I enjoy the flexibility and I love the challenge. It is great to always be learning new things and even when I have a bad text to begin with I value the challenge of making sense out of it.

I also love the sense of community. There are few professions where other professionals share their knowledge and experience as freely and agreeably as translators do.

Cheers,
Helen
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What I love about translation...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »