Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2008

I've worked with a direct client for almost two months now. I would like to get more work in this area (immigration law), and I'm considering asking the lawyer if he knows other immgration lawyers who would benefit from my services.

The main reason I'm holding back is that it seems a little bit too soon to ask. What are your opinions?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 19:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
No need to ask Aug 18, 2008

I think there is no need to ask the client. You can look up immigration lawyers yourself, say that you have some experience in this area, and offer your services. You would only need to involve the client if you need a reference.

Alana Quintyne
Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
French to English
+ ...
Depends on the relationship Aug 18, 2008

I think that it depends on the relationship you have with your client. I have asked that of clients with whom I have a very good, almost friendly relationship. With the others, I haven't asked but I get referrals from them anyway. I still believe, however, if you want something, ask. It couldn't hurt but if you want to speed up the process, contact other lawyers directly and let them know what you do.

[Edited at 2008-08-18 21:06]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for referals/Too soon?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »