Thread poster: Christine Ghafoor
Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:25
English
+ ...
I'm an editor. Mar 25, 2010

RE: "As Arlene Feynman once said to Richard, who was afraid of being embarassed over some trivial thing: 'What do you care what other people think?'"

I like the line: "What you think of me is none of my business."

You think people have a hard time understanding what a translator is or does. Try telling people you're an editor.... Oh. What magazine do you work for?

Sometimes I tell people I translate english into English. (Doesn't work as well
... See more
RE: "As Arlene Feynman once said to Richard, who was afraid of being embarassed over some trivial thing: 'What do you care what other people think?'"

I like the line: "What you think of me is none of my business."

You think people have a hard time understanding what a translator is or does. Try telling people you're an editor.... Oh. What magazine do you work for?

Sometimes I tell people I translate english into English. (Doesn't work as well in speech as it does in writing.)

[Edited at 2010-03-25 21:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-25 22:01 GMT]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:25
Flemish to English
+ ...
Prestigious Mar 26, 2010

Isn't it a fact that translation is a stopover for the unemployed? I wonder how big the afflux on translator portals was of overnight translators since the start of the crisis.

To get into somewhere "prestigious" (UNO), you must be able to prove yourself and pass the competitive examination for English/French/Spanish/Arabic/Chinese-language translators and précis writers.

Those exams consist of translations and a summary of not so easy texts in your main language WITHO
... See more
Isn't it a fact that translation is a stopover for the unemployed? I wonder how big the afflux on translator portals was of overnight translators since the start of the crisis.

To get into somewhere "prestigious" (UNO), you must be able to prove yourself and pass the competitive examination for English/French/Spanish/Arabic/Chinese-language translators and précis writers.

Those exams consist of translations and a summary of not so easy texts in your main language WITHOUT the use of a dictionary. An excellent chance to prove how good you are.

"Main language" should be understood as the language in which the candidate is best able to work best, whether or not that is his or her native language. I consider freelancing a good preparation for such tests.

At the other prestigious (EU), you only get to the translation part if you pass the preselection tests (verbal, numerical, analytical).

So, if you are a professional freelancer, why don't you give it a try? For those happy few who pass, starting-salaries are not bad and for those who have been at such an institution for say five years make as much as freelancers and work 11 months a year with one month paid vacation.

[/quote]
My brother has the same statute but he's a programmer/developper. Yet, he gets a polite nod and a spark of interest from people because he's a .... "Contractor". ooo, ahh [quote]

Yes, but who makes most. I have known such a freelance contractor. Daily income, 500 Euros times 4 days whilst being a contractor for a big bank and per project-income while working for the 3 other days of the week.
Besides, with IT the bridge to the world of "normal" work is smaller than with translation.

[Edited at 2010-03-26 13:00 GMT]
Collapse

Nagwan Noaman
Nagwan Noaman  Identity Verified
Yemen
Local time: 14:25
Arabic to English
+ ...
That was funny LOL Mar 27, 2010

Anne Koth wrote:

When I said I was starting out as a translator, my husband's lovely, very old grandmother said "How nice! You can get some pocket money!" Different times, different worlds...

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 13:25
Swedish to English
And what do you do for a living? Mar 28, 2010

How many musicians and translators have heard this or similar questions?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you reply to 'What's your job'

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »