Being independent: challenges and advantages
Thread poster: Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)
Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)
Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:41
Romanian to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2009

I would kindly ask you to share with us the main challenges you have to deal with and the advantages you have in your country of origin, as an independent translator/interpreter.
How do you cope with challenges and what tips would you give to new comers ?

Milos Prudek
Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:41
English to Czech
+ ...
core recommendations Aug 25, 2009

I would kindly ask you to share with us the main challenges you have to deal with and the advantages you have in your country of origin, as an independent translator/interpreter.
How do you cope with challenges and what tips would you give to new comers ?

- must be self-motivated and disciplined.
- need to be able and willing to sell your services. To make offers, to negotiate prices.
- need to be able to say NO politely yet firmly.
- never become cocky.
- choose a market (high quality and adequeate pricing, or low price low quality)
- choose specialization
- separate work from entertainment/web surfing
- have a small office at home to separate work and free time
- save money (3 or more month's wage) for dry spells (no job periods)
- see dry spells as opportunity to learn or rest (hakuna matata)
- watch your health (back pain, repetitive stress injury)
- get invoicing software
- do your tax returns or hire someone to do it
- have your own domain and website
- keep your CV updated
- I could go on. These are the core recommendations.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Here is my list Aug 26, 2009

- Never behave like an employee because you are not.

- Select your customers carefully. After all, they need and want to buy your services, not vice versa.

- You may become cocky. Not the unprofessional way, but like any other organization on the market. Like, say, a credit card company, because that is what you will be all of the sudden. Reserve the right to refuse service. Every gas station and restaurant has a little sign like this in their window. Why not you? It sa
... See more
- Never behave like an employee because you are not.

- Select your customers carefully. After all, they need and want to buy your services, not vice versa.

- You may become cocky. Not the unprofessional way, but like any other organization on the market. Like, say, a credit card company, because that is what you will be all of the sudden. Reserve the right to refuse service. Every gas station and restaurant has a little sign like this in their window. Why not you? It saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

- Do not hesitate to conduct background and credit history checks on your clients.

- Specialize. If a client tries to talk you into a field that you don't know by heart, decline. They will appreciate your honesty and professionalism.

- Deliver 100% at all times. This will turn customers into long-term clients. Beautiful!

- Don't base your business on software only. Keep your books properly.

- Do not send files titled "CV". You may as well put a big red stamp on it: "I don't have a glue and I am a beginner. Feel free to rip me off.". You are not applying for a full-time position. Send short bios, profiles or something. Don't be too generous with that.

- Build a network. You might become sick all of the sudden and you might need the help of colleagues on short notice to get a job finished. When you are self-employed, there are no excuses to miss a deadline due to the chain reaction that it will cause. You are fully liable.

- Don't work for free. This includes unpaid tests. You are a business and you have responsibilities.

- Enjoy and be proud of your business!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:41
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I second the comments from both Milos and Nicole Aug 26, 2009

They are all important concerns, and I agree with Nicole's view of "cocky" in the professional rather than personal sense.

These are the ones I find the most difficult to implement:

Milos Prudek wrote:
- separate work from entertainment/web surfing
- have a small office at home to separate work and free time
- save money (3 or more month's wage) for dry spells (no job periods)
- see dry spells as opportunity to learn or rest (hakuna matata)

It's that separation of professional and home life that I find difficult as a freelancer. It's so easy to stay at the computer, playing a game of Sudoku or whatever, when "ping" - the computer alerts you of an email arriving in your work inbox, and then it's back to work again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being independent: challenges and advantages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »