Sandrine Ananie
Sandrine Ananie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:04
Member (2009)
English to French
Oct 23, 2009

Hi,

At the moment I am reading David Allen's "Getting Things Done" (time management method). Have any of you read it too? How useful is it for a translator?

Thanks,
Sandrine

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:04
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Very useful, but difficult to stick to it Oct 23, 2009

I've been trying to implement GTD for over a year now. I'm not there, yet, but just trying to get there is helping me be more productive and focused.

I definitely recommend the book.

[Edited at 2009-10-23 14:11 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I have it too Oct 25, 2009

I have it too and am reading it at the moment. Hopefully in time I will be able to implement what he recommends. Although I have not finished it yet, he seems to have a lot of excellent advice.

Stephanie Gibbs (X)
Stephanie Gibbs (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
French to English
+ ...
Read it, doing it Dec 2, 2009

I've read it twice and been implementing it for the past 18 months. As a freelancer I've found it really incredibly useful. It's helped me keep track of all the aspects of working for myself: translation, terminology management, marketing, business administration and my personal life as well.

If you are already quite an organised kind of person, this is probably overkill.
I'm a grade A procrastinator by inclination and I really feel that this system has given me a kick up the
... See more
I've read it twice and been implementing it for the past 18 months. As a freelancer I've found it really incredibly useful. It's helped me keep track of all the aspects of working for myself: translation, terminology management, marketing, business administration and my personal life as well.

If you are already quite an organised kind of person, this is probably overkill.
I'm a grade A procrastinator by inclination and I really feel that this system has given me a kick up the bum! So as a result, I've been recommending it to all my nearest and dearest who I think could benefit from reading it. Then again, you can lead a horse to water...

The main advantage I would say is that I now feel much more in control of all the niggly details of running a business.
Collapse

Milos Prudek
Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Useful Mar 16, 2010

Sandrine Ananie wrote:
Have any of you read it too? How useful is it for a translator?

It is a good cure for procrastinators. It can be implemented partially and it is useful even if you implement only part of it. I use Palm PDA with freeware called HandyShopper and it is a good solution.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone here use David Allen's GTD?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »