Local time: 15:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too concise? Dec 15, 2009

pascie wrote:
How dare you
Showing your concerns about TMs?

Can you please explain this comment? Sorry but it's a bit too concise for me!

David MAROTE
David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
COPYRIGHT ISSUES Dec 15, 2009

Remember to stick to the issues at stake (referring to blog post by SDL this morning):

Copyrights on translations
Illegal or unlawful use of TMs
The danger of monopolies on the market place

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Doubts Dec 15, 2009

David MAROTE wrote:

I doubt anyone could not see the aim here.
I suppose someone has to centralize TMs and manage them before sharing them to companies.

I have doubts about your doubts.
It seems to me that you are supposing an awful lot here. So much that a litigious individual might claim that you are being libelous.
All the blog post says is that companies can benefit greatly from collecting all their TMs into one place and sharing their data with other companies.
Perhaps SDL is inviting people to join the TAUS system, perhaps they want to steal all their IP and sell it to the devil. Perhaps they just want to tell companies that large TMs are useful. I think we should collect some more information before we claim to know which is the case.

David MAROTE
David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
be confident it is the case... Dec 15, 2009

It is the case or it isn't, that is the question.

But there's nothing new.
What's new is that they are so confident translators spend their time arguing about trifles that they can do it openly and ask their participation on top of that !

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
How about data protection? Dec 16, 2009

Thank you David, I think this issue is important.

I don't know yet who is the owner of the TM, the client or the translator. Probably it is the result of a collaborative work, so the translator can only communicate with this particular client on this particular TM, which excludes selling, lending or giving it away to another entity. But the ownership question is relatively unimportant if you consider that a TM is a database (it certainly is, in most cases it contains even personal
... See more
Thank you David, I think this issue is important.

I don't know yet who is the owner of the TM, the client or the translator. Probably it is the result of a collaborative work, so the translator can only communicate with this particular client on this particular TM, which excludes selling, lending or giving it away to another entity. But the ownership question is relatively unimportant if you consider that a TM is a database (it certainly is, in most cases it contains even personal data). Then, as the HOLDER of these database and other information you are responsible for its diffusion. As far as I am concerned, uploading client data, glossaries and TM's somewhere on the web so that it can be shared, in other words diffused to unknown people, is totally excluded. I do marketing and consider all client data comme sensitive, even if it isn't.

Even if an entity ensures me that the place they give me is completely secured, I am highly reluctant to deposit non-neutral data in it, and that's why I send files by YouSendIt, for instance, only if the client tells me to do so (under his responsibility).

I agree fully that collaborative work is more efficient than translation by one translator on his own, but not in this way.

[Modifié le 2009-12-16 11:08 GMT]
Collapse

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
English to Polish
+ ...
All technologies can be used and abused Feb 17, 2010

This throws up some interesting points.

* Surely if your client has both source and target files they are capable of making a TM out of it?
* Translators ought to be very careful about what sort of TM work they submit to any public project because of client confidentiality issues
* If you're bothered about your own intellectual property, then for goodness sake don't submit your TMs to a public project
* All t
... See more
This throws up some interesting points.

* Surely if your client has both source and target files they are capable of making a TM out of it?
* Translators ought to be very careful about what sort of TM work they submit to any public project because of client confidentiality issues
* If you're bothered about your own intellectual property, then for goodness sake don't submit your TMs to a public project
* All technologies can be used and abused. Why should TM be any different?

I considered the implications about 10 years ago of setting up a web based TM collaboration project. I didn't do anything with the idea at the time because it looked like it would be a huge technical challenge and I don't think there would have been an easy way to "monetize" it (from either authors' or users' perspectives) - not to mention the issue of policing the quality of the content.

I don't think the machines will be taking over any time soon. But I'm glad you posted this thread because it might make a few people think carefully about what they share - and prevent a few major blunders of confidential info being made public.

Alex Eames
http://www.translatortips.com/
helping translators do better business
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Why not practise intellectual terrorism against intelectual theft and memories piracy? Feb 17, 2010

David MAROTE wrote:

Sharing Data Across Companies...

SDL a launching a blog about sharing translated data across companies...

The idea is to collect your translated data and share it among different companies "to help them leverage from your data and vice-versa".

Copyright

As soon as you will send your translations to "other companies", SDL will compile them, make a TM and produce its own automatic translation software. Every year, your Microsoft software will be equiped with a better automatic translation software and in 10 years time, you will be out of work.
Your translation is protected unless you relinquish the rights to the company you work for (by means of an agreement). If you let anyone tell you otherwise, the chances are that you may be out of work in a couple of years.

Trusts

There are laws against trusts (which happens among companies who "get together" to form a bigger company. With SDL's idea, what you're doing is illegal.

D. MAROTE

Since they use a way very next to piracy and robbery: Why not to do the same way with them? We all align as many texts as we can (or nosense at all text rubbish excepting the beginning paragraphs) that haven't anything in common, create then the memories, and raise them up to his servers to flooding them with useless information...

[Editado a las 2010-02-17 21:15 GMT]

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
English to Polish
+ ...
I said it would be hard to police the quality. Feb 17, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Since they use a way very next to piracy and robbery: Why not to do the same way with them? We all align as many texts as we can (or nosense at all text rubbish excepting the beginning paragraphs) that haven't anything in common, create then the memories, and raise them up to his servers to flooding them with useless information...

I said it would be hard to police the quality. It'd have to be done by some kind of wiki-type system, or something a bit like Kudoz I guess.

Not that I in any way condone such action, but your idea does throw up some interesting issues.

[Edited at 2010-02-17 22:33 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
The pretence Feb 18, 2010

ariffo wrote:

I often feel that we are checkmating ourselves, but that's just my opinion.

Andrea

The pretence is known, those who invented it called it "sharing" and implemented the concept of Web 2.0. Free contents for everybody, without any consideration (let alone any form of payment) for the people providing it. Let's face it: there is nothing unavoidable - just big companies squeezing out more or less defenceless smaller entities for their own benefit. And please, who is naive enough to think that said big companies will share their profits? They have never done it before - why should they start now?

There is no crisis in the translation sector or, at least, the crisis is not as critical as some would like us to believe. I do not need any conspiracy theory to see that there is brainwashing going on (see above)...

[Edited at 2010-02-18 05:25 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing your translated data across companies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »