Orsolya Mance  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 07:49
Member (2004)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 28, 2010

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding Maternity Allowance payments when you start to work again after maternity leave. I've been receiving MA since my second little boy was born in July, and used up all of my keeping-in-touch days. What is not clear to me is what happens if I do any work now - do I lose MA completely or just for the days I work? The information on this seems to be a bit confusing. Also, I'm quite not sure what they would regard as working
... See more
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding Maternity Allowance payments when you start to work again after maternity leave. I've been receiving MA since my second little boy was born in July, and used up all of my keeping-in-touch days. What is not clear to me is what happens if I do any work now - do I lose MA completely or just for the days I work? The information on this seems to be a bit confusing. Also, I'm quite not sure what they would regard as working - just checking my emails/accepting a project/actual translation work?

If you have experience with this I'd really love to read about it!

Thanks for your help!

Orsolya
Collapse

Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
MA Jan 28, 2010

Hi

When I contacted the corresponding department, they explained to me that if I work more days than the keeping in touch days, I automatically would lose the MA.

Not sure how many days you are now allowed, but let's say 10 days. If you work 10 days + 1 hr extra, you lose your MA and you must notify the authorities so that they can stop the payments. You are responsible of notifying them.

I was also told and I found this in the information they sent me that
... See more
Hi

When I contacted the corresponding department, they explained to me that if I work more days than the keeping in touch days, I automatically would lose the MA.

Not sure how many days you are now allowed, but let's say 10 days. If you work 10 days + 1 hr extra, you lose your MA and you must notify the authorities so that they can stop the payments. You are responsible of notifying them.

I was also told and I found this in the information they sent me that if I work 1 hour in one day, it counts as one working day - so it didn't matter the number of hours worked in that day. So I always make sure to work a full day.

Accepting a project means working. About the emails I would say this is not clear and in my opinion shouldn't be considered as working - while you only reply saying that you are not available and you are off due to maternity. Once you acept a job, then it counts as a working day.

In theory, when you are in MA you are not supposed to do any job at all, not even catching up with admin; so be careful with that.

For the little amount we get in MA it is simply not worth it at all to get into troubles. As the money was so little I terminated my MA very shortly afterwards.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK Maternity Allowance

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »