Thread poster: Wendy Cummings
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:47
English to French
+ ...
Not on weekends Apr 11, 2010

I am a freelancer and I don't work on week-ends, I simply try to stay healthy. I systematically refuse to work at any time other than the "regular" hours; I usually have a long midday break, about two hours, with compulsory 1 hour bicycle ride or walk, even in our Canadian winter. I often end my workday around 7 pm.

Remember, whatever money you may get, nothing is worth sacrificing your state of health (mental and physical).

I know many translators (and other professio
... See more
I am a freelancer and I don't work on week-ends, I simply try to stay healthy. I systematically refuse to work at any time other than the "regular" hours; I usually have a long midday break, about two hours, with compulsory 1 hour bicycle ride or walk, even in our Canadian winter. I often end my workday around 7 pm.

Remember, whatever money you may get, nothing is worth sacrificing your state of health (mental and physical).

I know many translators (and other professionals) who work long hours on week-ends, also at night, and who find skipping meals is good for productivity. I preach to them that they should take care of themeselves, but they don't seem to mind that aspect. They work so much that they forget such essential things as eating and sleeping (no to mention a decent social life); I bet you one of these days someone will find they can work faster if they don't breathe.

Of course most of those people think I am an extremist and somewhat dangerous individual, although I swear I never resorted to violence.

So once more I preach to all those young translators out there: think about yourselves, you can't be productive and rich if you loose your health or end up in a mental hospital.

Jean-Pierre
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:47
Member (2008)
English to French
No end to my weeks ;-) Apr 12, 2010

I work on weekends for the simple reason that there's not much difference between week days and weekend days for me - I'm single and have no children - I imagine this will change later when I have to conform to someone else's schedule.

Meanwhile I accept projects as readily on Saturdays and Sundays as on any other week day - If I have other plans - parties, Formula 1 (next weekend! definitely not working then!) then I don't take work and at the same time when there is a natural lag
... See more
I work on weekends for the simple reason that there's not much difference between week days and weekend days for me - I'm single and have no children - I imagine this will change later when I have to conform to someone else's schedule.

Meanwhile I accept projects as readily on Saturdays and Sundays as on any other week day - If I have other plans - parties, Formula 1 (next weekend! definitely not working then!) then I don't take work and at the same time when there is a natural lag in projects (like today - my Monday, N.America's Sunday night) I run all my errands, go shopping, play x-box, etc. It also allows me to take any other day off without that little guilty feeling you get when you're your own boss & you slack off I've had beautiful, sunny, unseasonably warm Wednesdays that were just too beautiful to give up.

This weekend I worked but since I just came back from 4 days in Hong Kong followed by a 2 week cruise to Japan I think it's a fair deal

That and Shanghai has been rainy these last 3 days so other than xbox & dvds, work is actually a welcome diversion
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:47
German to English
I don't Apr 12, 2010

When I turned freelance 10 years ago and at one stage was getting enough work to demand 24-7 I took a firm decision that no matter what Sunday was for other stuff. So I work as many crazy hours 5 or sometimes 6 days a week as the work demands but when planning projects Sunday is mine

Iris Shalev
Iris Shalev  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
I work on Sundays, because... Apr 12, 2010

because I live in Israel, and the weekend here is Friday-Saturday! I like the way that turns out, sometimes it gives me an advantage to be available on Sundays.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:47
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Work comes in bursts! Apr 12, 2010

Normally I try to keep at least one day at the weekend computer free, and Sunday fitted in with visiting relatives, so that was it. But being a freelancer and having no children at home does mean I can be flexible.

March was an unusually sparse month as far as work was concerned. For family reasons this actually suited me most of the time, but regretfully, I actually had to turn down a largish rushed job early in the month.

Now three good clients are back with a vengean
... See more
Normally I try to keep at least one day at the weekend computer free, and Sunday fitted in with visiting relatives, so that was it. But being a freelancer and having no children at home does mean I can be flexible.

March was an unusually sparse month as far as work was concerned. For family reasons this actually suited me most of the time, but regretfully, I actually had to turn down a largish rushed job early in the month.

Now three good clients are back with a vengeance, and I ended up ´double booked´ on Monday (today) and Tuesday... and the rest of the week is heavily booked too! Spring or no spring, I worked at the weekend just to be sure I would have time for a little fresh air and exercise along the way.

That is life!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I do agree with Pablo Bouvier Apr 12, 2010

I often work weekends but I take a break whenever it suits me and my work...

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
for me the downside of freelancing .... Apr 12, 2010

.. is that every day is a potential workday.
I'm actually quite surprised at the question. If you have deadlines to meet, sticking firmly to the five-day week is not the answer. Conversely, if you have no work on, your time is your own. I thought that was the whole point.
Have I missed a trick ?

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@polyglot Apr 12, 2010

Perhaps:
For me, I receive a job offer, and I assess it against what other work I have to do, and my free time. If i think it will encroach on my freetime or prevent me from doing my other jobs, I reject it. My clients usually suggest a deadline that is perfectly feasible.

Therefore its not about "having to meet a deadline", its about selecting which jobs I accept and which I don't. Sometimes, I may choose to accept a job knowing i will have to work an evening/weekend, but oth
... See more
Perhaps:
For me, I receive a job offer, and I assess it against what other work I have to do, and my free time. If i think it will encroach on my freetime or prevent me from doing my other jobs, I reject it. My clients usually suggest a deadline that is perfectly feasible.

Therefore its not about "having to meet a deadline", its about selecting which jobs I accept and which I don't. Sometimes, I may choose to accept a job knowing i will have to work an evening/weekend, but othertimes I don't. So when I *choose* to work over a weekend and sacrifice my spare time - what are the reasons?
Collapse

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
@Wendy Apr 12, 2010

What I don't understand is why, as a freelancer, your weekends should be sacred. As I said in my first posting, freelancing means that every day is a potential workday. How you organise yourself and what days you take off are another matter. There are people who have to work on Saturdays and/or Sundays (hospitals and other essential services, to name but a few). These people have days off in the week or blocks of days in lieu of weekends. What is so sacred about weekends ? Except, of course, fr... See more
What I don't understand is why, as a freelancer, your weekends should be sacred. As I said in my first posting, freelancing means that every day is a potential workday. How you organise yourself and what days you take off are another matter. There are people who have to work on Saturdays and/or Sundays (hospitals and other essential services, to name but a few). These people have days off in the week or blocks of days in lieu of weekends. What is so sacred about weekends ? Except, of course, from the fact that other members of the family are entitled to them. If weekends are sacred to you, a staff job might suit you better?

[Edited at 2010-04-12 10:21 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Bradley
Dan Bradley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to English
Everyday is like Sunday... Apr 12, 2010

I lived in Japan for several years where it wasn't uncommon to work weekends. At first it felt very odd to be in the office on a Saturday but over time I gradually let go of the culturally engrained idea that I should be working Monday to Friday and relaxing over the weekend. Being self employed in the UK now I love the flexibility to be able to move that personal time around. I think the idea that we should work all week and rest on the weekend is a fairly arbitrary one and and I feel fortuna... See more
I lived in Japan for several years where it wasn't uncommon to work weekends. At first it felt very odd to be in the office on a Saturday but over time I gradually let go of the culturally engrained idea that I should be working Monday to Friday and relaxing over the weekend. Being self employed in the UK now I love the flexibility to be able to move that personal time around. I think the idea that we should work all week and rest on the weekend is a fairly arbitrary one and and I feel fortunate to be free of those constraints doing something I love

If possible, I actually prefer to work on a Sunday when I can exchange it for a day in the week as shops, banks and facilities are open and things aren't so crowded.
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:47
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Reply to Jean-Pierre Apr 12, 2010

In his post, Jean-Pierre says that

"So once more I preach to all those young translators out there: think about yourselves, you can't be productive and rich if you loose [sic] your health or end up in a mental hospital"

While what he says is true, there is a point I would like to raise:

What would be more likely to drive you crazy, working a little bit more or having the bailiffs, income tax inspectors etc hounding you all the time?

Brazil is a
... See more
In his post, Jean-Pierre says that

"So once more I preach to all those young translators out there: think about yourselves, you can't be productive and rich if you loose [sic] your health or end up in a mental hospital"

While what he says is true, there is a point I would like to raise:

What would be more likely to drive you crazy, working a little bit more or having the bailiffs, income tax inspectors etc hounding you all the time?

Brazil is a country where taxes are the highest in the world - and cost of living is very high as well - and rates for translators (and also salaries in general) are low, so you need to work like crazy to make ends meet. It's not a question of choice, but one of necessity.

Also, in addition, I stress that even though I work all day and on Sundays if needed, I do not skip meals (especially those cooked by my darling wife) and make a point of stopping work at midnight at the latest, to get some sleep.
Collapse

Martin Stranak
Martin Stranak  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Weekend work Apr 12, 2010

I mostly do work on weekends on various stages of my long-term projects for foreign authorities, as the people would simply assign most jobs on Friday afternoon. On the other hand, I can take/make my time off during the week (if there´s se nough sun in London), to roam the city and parks and watch other people work, which makes me quite comfortable with my freelance role

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
For those very reasons! Apr 12, 2010

polyglot45 wrote:

... freelancing means that every day is a potential workday.

... So you have to ward off those clients who think you don´t need time off, or at least not when they want a translation ASAP and preferably yesterday.

I am usually quite flexible, but I do a lot of small jobs, and sometimes I have to be quite ´hard hearted´ to insist that no, I cannot squeeze in another 150 words cleaned and uncleaned, just because the client added half a page and a picture to the job I finished two days ago. I know the printer may be getting even more worked up and stressed than I am... but if I have moved on to a new job for another client, who also wants me to deliver by the deadline... people have to join the queue and wait until I have time.

What is so sacred about weekends ? Except, of course, for the fact that other members of the family are entitled to them.

... Exactly.
Why bother to earn a living, if you don´t have a life?

I sit isolated in my ´cage´ all week, and I simply have to get out and see my friends and relations when they are not tied to their jobs.

No rules without exceptions, but I like to know when I am at work and when I can take time off with a good conscience.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Why not? Apr 12, 2010

Times have changed, and IMO the modern working world no longer fits the "9-5, Monday to Friday" mould. To me one of the perks of freelancing is that I can go to the supermarket and go shopping during the week when the shops are quieter, and not have to battle the crowds on Saturdays, to give just one example. To be able to mould my working week as I please, rather than squashing it into some outdated notion of what the working week should look like. To me the important thing is being in charge o... See more
Times have changed, and IMO the modern working world no longer fits the "9-5, Monday to Friday" mould. To me one of the perks of freelancing is that I can go to the supermarket and go shopping during the week when the shops are quieter, and not have to battle the crowds on Saturdays, to give just one example. To be able to mould my working week as I please, rather than squashing it into some outdated notion of what the working week should look like. To me the important thing is being in charge of my life, not pandering to someone else's idea of how it should be.Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like that answer Apr 13, 2010

But I'm dead jealous if everyone else is out doing fun things at the weekend and I'm stuck in, translating.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do you work on a Sunday?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »