Thread poster: Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2010

Its 4 pm on a gloriously sunny afternoon in London. I can hear children playing outside, and i have a million and one things I would rather be doing. However, I have been working since the morning and still have several hours to go.

On this particular occasion, the reason is that money is a bit short this month (took a big holiday in March) and so I purposefully took on extra work, knowing that i would have to sacrifice my weekend.

I simply wondered why other people w
... See more
Its 4 pm on a gloriously sunny afternoon in London. I can hear children playing outside, and i have a million and one things I would rather be doing. However, I have been working since the morning and still have several hours to go.

On this particular occasion, the reason is that money is a bit short this month (took a big holiday in March) and so I purposefully took on extra work, knowing that i would have to sacrifice my weekend.

I simply wondered why other people work at weekends (all those posting and answering questions on Proz prove that i'm not the only one!) - is it by choice? by force of circumstance? because they took a sneaky day off on Thursday and need to catch up...?

Just wondered...!
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sunday work Apr 11, 2010

I work on Sundays (and also all other days, sometimes until midnight) as I need as much money as possible to pay all the taxes that bog down business in Brazil... dozens of them, at Federal, State and Municipal level, not to mention consumption taxes (similar to VAT), then what little is left goes to pay bills.

I do not have too much work today in fact, but usually I try to fill the weekends to make some badly needed cash.

It's 12 noon on an overcast day here in São Pa
... See more
I work on Sundays (and also all other days, sometimes until midnight) as I need as much money as possible to pay all the taxes that bog down business in Brazil... dozens of them, at Federal, State and Municipal level, not to mention consumption taxes (similar to VAT), then what little is left goes to pay bills.

I do not have too much work today in fact, but usually I try to fill the weekends to make some badly needed cash.

It's 12 noon on an overcast day here in São Paulo, and in true Wordsworthesque fashion, the clouds "float on high, o'er vales and hills".

[Edited at 2010-04-11 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:02
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Sunday is a work day in my household! Apr 11, 2010

I usually work Sundays. My children get a lot of homework and they prefer to wait until Sunday to do it (and have Friday afternoon and Saturday free). So I like to work in the study while they work in their rooms as it is creates a good "supportive study environment".
That's what I like about freelancing. It's flexible. I often have a morning off to get other things done, and Sunday more than makes up for it.

It is also a glorious sunny afternoon in Madrid!

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Because ... Apr 11, 2010

... sometimes there simply aren't enough hours in the week!

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
prying further Apr 11, 2010

Mary Worby wrote:

But is that because you misjudged how much time you would need for a job; because (like me) you purposefully took on a bit more than you could do on weekdays; because some unexpected event arose; or something else?

What i mean is, being freelance we have a great amount of control over the volume of work we receive - so what therefore motivates us to work when everyone else is in the park eating icecream!

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:02
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Why? Apr 11, 2010

It is passion to do a certain task that motivates me. Sunday is actually just like any other day. I can work on Sunday just like I can take a workday off. It is not to balance a day off or anything like that. If I had a regular full-time job, I would be off on Saturday and Sunday, of course. Now that I do not, I can control when to work and when to not work.

Sincerely,
ATIL

Anita Myszk
Anita Myszk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
big projects welcome :) Apr 11, 2010

I normally don't work over the weekends, but since money has been short lately and I got a big urgent project I couldn't say no.

Result? Busy weekend. But I hope to get Thursday and Friday off in the coming week. Joys of freelancing I guess.

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's a shame Apr 11, 2010

that you're working on a SUNNY Sunday in London! How many of those do you get?

I sometimes schedule work to run partially over the weekend to give myself time to make up if the job is more complex than I anticipated. Normally, though, I'm not busy enough to pick and choose which days I work. If the works in, I do it.

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:02
English to Russian
+ ...
you are right Apr 11, 2010

Wendy Leech wrote:

Its 4 pm on a gloriously sunny afternoon in London. I can hear children playing outside, and i have a million and one things I would rather be doing.

I was wondering about the same thing today. Why should I work on Sundays? There were days when I was in dire need of money, so it was understandable. Now, when the things seem to be more or less normal I am planning to charge extra (most likely double rate). You do not want to pay double rate? It is fine with me, I will find some other things to do (working on my own projects, pursuing my hobbies, doing some volunteering or just going out to take a breath of fresh air). The life is too short to fully sacrifice it to work (I am speaking of myself here), and work is not everything. Thanks God, I have finally understood this.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
A combination of factors Apr 11, 2010

Wendy Leech wrote:

Mary Worby wrote:

But is that because you misjudged how much time you would need for a job; because (like me) you purposefully took on a bit more than you could do on weekdays; because some unexpected event arose; or something else?

What i mean is, being freelance we have a great amount of control over the volume of work we receive - so what therefore motivates us to work when everyone else is in the park eating icecream!

Er, the money!

I was offered a new project by at a lucrative rate by a new customer. Seemed worth putting in a few extra hours. Plus the children are on school holidays so time during the week is limited.

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I like the quiet - and today, the weather is not too good Apr 11, 2010

Hi all (co-Sunday-workers),

I often receive projects on Fridays which have to be completed by Tuesday or Wednesday, so there is no choice but to work on Sundays, too.

However, as I enjoy my job very much and often my children are not at home over the week-end, I like working on Sundays - of course, with enough coffee breaks or a small walk outside if it is a sunny day. The phone does not ring, there is nothing to interrupt me permanently.

It is almost like
... See more
Hi all (co-Sunday-workers),

I often receive projects on Fridays which have to be completed by Tuesday or Wednesday, so there is no choice but to work on Sundays, too.

However, as I enjoy my job very much and often my children are not at home over the week-end, I like working on Sundays - of course, with enough coffee breaks or a small walk outside if it is a sunny day. The phone does not ring, there is nothing to interrupt me permanently.

It is almost like persuing a hobby! And during the week, I can take a day "off", if I have to do other things.

Enjoy your evening!

Annett
Collapse

Janisa Antoniazzi
Janisa Antoniazzi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Just" for the money Apr 11, 2010

I'm not a freelance translator. Actually, I'm a full-time in-house translator for a local company, but since the salaries in Brazil aren't that great I have to get freelance jobs to improve my income. And that means I sometimes have to work extra hours in the evenings on weekdays and on weekends.

It's a warm and sunny Sunday in Southern Brazil.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
To meet the deadline Apr 11, 2010

My partner has a 9-to-5 job, which means I have to free up my evenings and weekends to spend time together.

Yet it often happens that things get in the way of work during the weekdays, and some of it carries over to the weekend. She's never happy about that, but it really can't be helped. I can't afford to miss my Monday deadline.

Sometimes I also schedule work for the weekend if an especially lucrative offer comes by.

Oh, and I didn't have to work *this* S
... See more
My partner has a 9-to-5 job, which means I have to free up my evenings and weekends to spend time together.

Yet it often happens that things get in the way of work during the weekdays, and some of it carries over to the weekend. She's never happy about that, but it really can't be helped. I can't afford to miss my Monday deadline.

Sometimes I also schedule work for the weekend if an especially lucrative offer comes by.

Oh, and I didn't have to work *this* Sunday. Going to bed now after a day spent having fun
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Why do you work on a Sunday?" Apr 11, 2010

Wendy Leech wrote:

I simply wondered why other people work at weekends (all those posting and answering questions on Proz prove that i'm not the only one!) - is it by choice? by force of circumstance? because they took a sneaky day off on Thursday and need to catch up...?

Just wondered...!

Sorry? I did not understand the question...
If you are a freelancer, Sunday falls on the day that best suits to your needs, right?
Or am I missing something? At least, this is one of the main reasons because I have chosen to be an independent worker and not an employee.

[Editado a las 2010-04-11 20:43 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
another Sunday worker Apr 11, 2010

ahem, it's actually Monday now - just browsing while I wait for WF to finish cleaning my files

I don't mind working on weekends actually, it usually balances out, but this particular weekend has been tough, yesterday was a beautiful day and our son was invited to a fishing/BBQ party across the street, lucky hubby got to hang out in the sun all day and chat with the neighbors while I was working... they popped into the
... See more
ahem, it's actually Monday now - just browsing while I wait for WF to finish cleaning my files

I don't mind working on weekends actually, it usually balances out, but this particular weekend has been tough, yesterday was a beautiful day and our son was invited to a fishing/BBQ party across the street, lucky hubby got to hang out in the sun all day and chat with the neighbors while I was working... they popped into the house a few times to see if I wanted to come down for a while, but I really couldn't leave my office. The neighbors probably think I'm a hermit.

I guess I'm feeling worse than usual because I wasn't supposed to be working this weekend, but here I am due to my own bad planning and lack of motivation/organization. I had ample time to finish this project, and somehow I just didn't... I really need to work on my organizational skills for big projects, figure out how to pace myself better.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do you work on a Sunday?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »