Alexandra Wahl
Alexandra Wahl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:32
German to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2010

Hello everybody,

I just recently moved to the US (San Francisco) from Germany. Now I am trying to find contact to fellow translators in the area. Or at least one other translator who has worked as a freelancer in this country for a while and could maybe help me with some questions I have (concerning taxes, general business stuff etc.)
I thought there might be meetup groups or something similar for translators in the area, but wasn't able to find any yet.

Also, d
... See more
Hello everybody,

I just recently moved to the US (San Francisco) from Germany. Now I am trying to find contact to fellow translators in the area. Or at least one other translator who has worked as a freelancer in this country for a while and could maybe help me with some questions I have (concerning taxes, general business stuff etc.)
I thought there might be meetup groups or something similar for translators in the area, but wasn't able to find any yet.

Also, does anybody know about the Northern California Translators Organization? Is it a good idea to join them? And what is your opinion about ATA?

All the best
Alexandra
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
NCTA members are good people Jun 19, 2010

Greetings... Hertzliche Wilkommen zum San Francisco!

Recommend you join NCTA. Their members are good people, and that association is well-reputed and well-established there.

Depending on your professional background and interest in medical & healthcare interepreting, you might also join the local chapter of the California Healthcare Interpreters Association (CHIA).

AT&T Language Line Services (LLS) [based in Monterey] is another avenue worth your consideri
... See more
Greetings... Hertzliche Wilkommen zum San Francisco!

Recommend you join NCTA. Their members are good people, and that association is well-reputed and well-established there.

Depending on your professional background and interest in medical & healthcare interepreting, you might also join the local chapter of the California Healthcare Interpreters Association (CHIA).

AT&T Language Line Services (LLS) [based in Monterey] is another avenue worth your considering and registering.

The local chapter of NAJIT might be another venue to establish your business presence and practice.

I cannot comment on the benefits of joining ATA; if that is affordable, go for it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic, Persian,
and Kurdish [Kurmanci only]
San Pedro [Los Angeles Harbor Area]
Collapse

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:32
Chinese to English
+ ...
Ex-Bay Area translator Jun 20, 2010

Hi Alexandra,

I've lived in the bay area for 4 years and only moved away recently. Feel free to send me your questions via email (on my Proz site) and I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

When I first moved there I organized a Powwow and met a few fellow translators in the area that way. Maybe that's something you can consider.

Pei Ling

Alexandra Wahl
Alexandra Wahl  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Jul 12, 2010

Thanks a lot for all your help! I got a few emails and am all set for now and full of American tax knowledge (thanks so much, Sarah!)

I also became a member of NCTA, but decided against an ATA membership (for now).

Looking forward to my new life in California!!!!

Alexandra

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-12 18:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

looking for fellow translators in SF/Bay Area

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »