Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:27
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for sharing this Sep 3, 2010

I guess those ones who trade with peanuts can also become Business Owners.

Elías

Francisco Pavez (X)
Francisco Pavez (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for the swift kick in the a** Sep 3, 2010

Seldom do we listen to what we need to hear.

We are often too defensive, too timid, too cowardly to look at our selves with the same cold detachment we'd like to think we look at others.

Thank you, Jeff, for the link

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:27
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Maybe. Sep 3, 2010

Elías Sauza wrote:

I guess those ones who trade with peanuts can also become Business Owners.

Elías

Technically, one dollar shop owners are also business owners, yes.

Desdemone (X)
Desdemone (X)
Local time: 01:27
French to English
Absolutely... Sep 3, 2010

...on point.

Great rant.

And for those of you confused about what exactly constitutes a bitch slap:\

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bitch%20Slap

[Edited at 2010-09-03 21:20 GMT]

Junko F
Junko F  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:27
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Thank you ! Sep 4, 2010

Thank you, Jeff, for sharing this.

I'm currently struggling to grow out of a mom translating as a pastime into a "full-time" freelancer. This article has shown me what's missing in me!

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:27
English
+ ...
Well, first of all... Sep 4, 2010

I don't know where she gets the idea that freelancers are such a whiney bunch... She must be meeting the wrong people. I've always considered myself self-employed.

I do agree with her advice about getting business cards (and opening a business account and having an accountant). Having a business card goes a long way to changing your own attitude about what you do, and that of others. I've noticed that people seem to take me more seriously after I give them a card. It makes me seem
... See more
I don't know where she gets the idea that freelancers are such a whiney bunch... She must be meeting the wrong people. I've always considered myself self-employed.

I do agree with her advice about getting business cards (and opening a business account and having an accountant). Having a business card goes a long way to changing your own attitude about what you do, and that of others. I've noticed that people seem to take me more seriously after I give them a card. It makes me seem more "official" to them... even if I do sit at home and work (whenever I want) in my bunny slippers.

Junko, I would recommend a business card as a good way to transform yourself from a "mom translating as a pastime into a 'full-time' freelancer." Moms don't have business cards...although, you know, that's not a bad idea...would give more credence to the fact that being a mom IS a legitimate job and profession, albeit unpaid.

[Edited at 2010-09-04 10:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-04 10:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-04 10:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-04 10:52 GMT]
Collapse

Junko F
Japan
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mom translator Sep 4, 2010

Suzan Hamer wrote:

Junko, I would recommend a business card as a good way to transform yourself from a "mom translating as a pastime into a 'full-time' freelancer." Moms don't have business cards...although, you know, that's not a bad idea...would give more credence to the fact that being a mom IS a legitimate job and profession, albeit unpaid.

Susan, thanks for your comment.

Actually, I have my business cards for over ten years.
My problem is rather that I don't meet people to whom I can give them!

Working from home means to me that I'm living inside a triangle of my home, kids' school and the shopping centre! Probably it's high time I should venture out of this cozy triangle, but juggling the work, kids and housekeeping every day, I don't know when (and also where) to venture out.

[Edited at 2010-09-04 14:32 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:27
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another idea Sep 4, 2010

What I did was create a brochure (you can make one with Word). You can buy the pre-folded brochure paper at any office supply store. Then hand out the brochure (with several of your business cards inside) to local businesses that match your specialty. It is a lot easier to just hand someone a brochure (explaining your services for you) rather than just a business card. And don't forget to take some with you when you travel outside your city/state/country.

Junko F wrote:

Actually, I have my business cards for over ten years.
My problem is rather that I don't meet people to whom I can give them!

Working from home means to me that I'm living inside a triangle of my home, kids' school and the shopping centre! Probably it's high time I should venture out of this cozy triangle, but juggling the work, kids and housekeeping every day, I don't know when (and also where) to venture out.

[Edited at 2010-09-04 14:25 GMT]

Junko F
Japan
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Yeah, I should try that one Sep 4, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

What I did was create a brochure (you can make one with Word). You can buy the pre-folded brochure paper at any office supply store. Then hand out the brochure (with several of your business cards inside) to local businesses that match your specialty. It is a lot easier to just hand someone a brochure (explaining your services for you) rather than just a business card. And don't forget to take some with you when you travel outside your city/state/country.

Thank you, Jeff, for your kind input.

Yes, that's probably something I can start with.
I have to start checking local business directories to find client candidates!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:27
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I don't want to be a "business owner" Sep 4, 2010

...especially here in Brazil.

The only bit of advice I would take from this blog is to have a CPA (which I do).

Otherwise, I'd rather just sit at home in my bunny slippers and be a happy little freelancer.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 21:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
Bilingual business cards: L1 text on one side and L2 text on the other aside Sep 4, 2010

If I may add to the previous respondent's good point [below this note] about having and using business cards to promote your business:

It is helpful to have your business cards printed in bilingual editions which reflect your "working pairs"

Text in L1 [i.e. English] on one side, with matching text in L2 [i.e. Arabic] on the other side.

Insure that both sides of your card include data about your preferred method[s] of contact.

Hope this helps
... See more
If I may add to the previous respondent's good point [below this note] about having and using business cards to promote your business:

It is helpful to have your business cards printed in bilingual editions which reflect your "working pairs"

Text in L1 [i.e. English] on one side, with matching text in L2 [i.e. Arabic] on the other side.

Insure that both sides of your card include data about your preferred method[s] of contact.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Stephen H. Franke
English-Arabic
San Pedro, California

-------------------------------------------------

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blog article: You Whiny Little “Freelancers”

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »