Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Can I be UK self-employed whilst resident in Spain?
Thread poster: Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Local time: 12:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you judge Rawlins ;@) Apr 20, 2011

John Rawlins wrote:

I think Timothy Barton has given you some very good advice. He also hints at something that he is probably too polite to state directly. Namely, if you are living in Spain then it is your moral and legal duty to pay taxes in Spain on all of your Spanish income. The excuse that's 'extremely complicated' is neither here nor there.

That's all - class dismissed.

As many others - you have misunderstood my intentions. I pay tax in Spain already as an employed teacher and I'm not rying to get out of any taxes - my earnings from translation work would not warrant payment neither here nor in the UK as they would be too low, but again I don't care about paying tax nor social security. Why do we the Euro Bureaucrats if not gain some advantages of being a 'single state'? Or at least many memeber states with common laws making life easier. The UK government clearly helps and encourages self-employment whereas the Spanish government appears to put fences in the way.
My income would not be in Spain it would be to a UK bank account and I would pay both Spanish and UK National Insurance contributions. The Spanish do not make life easy for self-employed people so I'm running away to another EU country that does. All EU countries are in the same boat now.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
Swedish to English
+ ...
NI = tax in all but name Apr 20, 2011

Dr Neil wrote:

I think you are referring to social security payments (in the UK we don't count that as a tax but as Natinoal Insurance Contributions).

That's just semantics and one of to the ConDems' recent, more intelligent, ideas is to merger NI with income tax (where it rightly belongs).

IN the UK.gov.org's website, online self-employment registration form there is a question - Are you resident in the UK? yes / no .....
To me it all seems strange as well which is why I'm asking for advice / if anyone has experience of this. I am not physically nor fiscally resident but it appears that I may be able to register as self-employed there.

Have you tried actually completing the form? I guess that if you do, and tick no, you will be met by a very nice IRP telling you that cannot. That is, unless you're rich enough to take advantage of the "Non-dom" rules.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
You need a tax accountant Apr 20, 2011

Dr Neil wrote:

My income would not be in Spain it would be to a UK bank account and I would pay both Spanish and UK National Insurance contributions. The Spanish do not make life easy for self-employed people so I'm running away to another EU country that does. All EU countries are in the same boat now.

Where your income is realised is totally unimportant when it comes to tax residency unless you're a non-dom like Roman Abramowitz (and even he has to pay tax on any part of his foreign income that he imports into the UK). Tax legislation, in most European as well as many other countries, is generally based on where you actually reside, i.e. the 183 day rule.

If you want to try to make your own rules, I suggest you hire an expensive (?) tax accountant.

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The UK is the exception Apr 20, 2011

My understanding is that the UK is the odd man out in Europe because it has extremely simple bureaucratic procedures. Spain has a more typically European level of bureaucratic complexity. However, most Spaniards are able to get by - and so I am sure that you can manage.

If you are already paying social security as an employee, and translation is just a sideline, then I am certain you are not liable for €250 monthly contributions - although the officials in the social security off
... See more
My understanding is that the UK is the odd man out in Europe because it has extremely simple bureaucratic procedures. Spain has a more typically European level of bureaucratic complexity. However, most Spaniards are able to get by - and so I am sure that you can manage.

If you are already paying social security as an employee, and translation is just a sideline, then I am certain you are not liable for €250 monthly contributions - although the officials in the social security office may try to pull the wool over your eyes.

In the past, I have made tax declarations as an employee and self-employed at the same time without any difficulties.

However, make sure that your employers know because the SS and Hacienda will (rather naughtily) tell them on your behalf.
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Can I be UK self-employed whilst resident in Spain Apr 20, 2011

Only if you don't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
A bit off-topic Apr 20, 2011

Susanna Garcia wrote:

I'll never get any sleep tonight.

First a friend mentioned "I, Claudius" on FB and I've spent the last two hours stuck on YouTube. Now you're going to have me up for another two watching Monty Python...

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Still off topic - sorry Apr 20, 2011

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Susanna Garcia wrote:

I'll never get any sleep tonight.

First a friend mentioned "I, Claudius" on FB and I've spent the last two hours stuck on YouTube. Now you're going to have me up for another two watching Monty Python...

Just make sure you don't watch it from the Comfy Chair ......

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
sure, no problem Apr 20, 2011

I'm not sure about the legal aspect, but it's certainly possible.

I'm British and although I pay income tax, VAT and NI in the UK, I don't really live there. I do spend a couple of months there every year, but most of the time I'm in Saigon.

I would actually rather pay my taxes in Vietnam, but it's virtually impossible unless you're married to a Vietnamese.

Anyway, all you really need is a UK address HMRC will accept, i.e. no PO box.
If you haven't go
... See more

I'm British and although I pay income tax, VAT and NI in the UK, I don't really live there. I do spend a couple of months there every year, but most of the time I'm in Saigon.

I would actually rather pay my taxes in Vietnam, but it's virtually impossible unless you're married to a Vietnamese.

If you haven't got a physical address in the UK, google expat + address + UK and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

[Edited at 2011-04-20 22:01 GMT]
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Your earnings would be taxable Apr 21, 2011

Dr Neil wrote:

As many others - you have misunderstood my intentions. I pay tax in Spain already as an employed teacher and I'm not rying to get out of any taxes - my earnings from translation work would not warrant payment neither here nor in the UK as they would be too low, but again I don't care about paying tax nor social security. Why do we the Euro Bureaucrats if not gain some advantages of being a 'single state'? Or at least many memeber states with common laws making life easier. The UK government clearly helps and encourages self-employment whereas the Spanish government appears to put fences in the way.

If you are already paying tax on your other work, that means that you're above the income threshold for the basic tax rate, so you'll be paying tax on your translation earnings too, even if you're only earning 10€ a month. Your income tax is based on your overall earning, including salaried work, self-employed work, interest on savings, etc.

I have the opposite case. I teach six hours a week at a university on a salary. If that were the only work I did I'd pay no tax on that, but since I earn a lot more from my freelance work, I have to pay tax on it. A few years ago the university were making a 0% withholding, but I made sure I put money away in a savings account as I knew I'd be paying lots of tax once I made my annual tax declaration, as turned out to be the case.

I don't think anyone is accusing you of trying to dodge tax. We're just advising you that your plans aren't legal, because of the 183-day rule. I fully understand your predicament, as it's one I had myself when I first started freelancing. The solution is to register with the tax authorities but not to register with Social Security, that way you won't have to pay the 250€ SS contributions.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Registering as self-employed Apr 21, 2011

Note that for the purposes of Social Security, a self-employed person is defined as "aquél que realiza de forma habitual, personal y directa, una actividad económica a título lucrativo, sin sujeción por ella a contrato de trabajo y aunque utilice el servicio remunerado de otras personas".

No mention is made of minimum earnings, but in the past the courts have interpreted this as meaning that someone earning less than the minimum wage for their self-employed work does not have to
... See more
Note that for the purposes of Social Security, a self-employed person is defined as "aquél que realiza de forma habitual, personal y directa, una actividad económica a título lucrativo, sin sujeción por ella a contrato de trabajo y aunque utilice el servicio remunerado de otras personas".

No mention is made of minimum earnings, but in the past the courts have interpreted this as meaning that someone earning less than the minimum wage for their self-employed work does not have to pay the 250€.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
The riddler. Apr 21, 2011

A riddle:
Virgin ltd is based in London.
Richard Branson lives on a Necker Island.
Suppose he lived in Marbella and Virgin pays him dividends, a CEO-salary and bonusses.
To which country does Virgin ltd pay taxes and to which country would Branson pay taxes?
In the answer and a bit of creativity lies the solution to your problem.
Remember: In Europe, Britain is the odd man out and encourages business, whereas the other bureaucratic nightmar
... See more
A riddle:
Virgin ltd is based in London.
Richard Branson lives on a Necker Island.
Suppose he lived in Marbella and Virgin pays him dividends, a CEO-salary and bonusses.
To which country does Virgin ltd pay taxes and to which country would Branson pay taxes?
In the answer and a bit of creativity lies the solution to your problem.
Remember: In Europe, Britain is the odd man out and encourages business, whereas the other bureaucratic nightmares discourage business.

[Edited at 2011-04-21 09:20 GMT]
Collapse

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tim for your useful info Apr 21, 2011

Timothy Barton wrote:

No mention is made of minimum earnings, but in the past the courts have interpreted this as meaning that someone earning less than the minimum wage for their self-employed work does not have to pay the 250€.

I've heard and read this a few times before - your are right it's not down in black and white that one doesn't have to pay the SS and strictly speaking by law probably one does.....which is one reason I would prefer to work from the UK where things appear to be clearer - no grey areas, will I be fined or not. However if you are sure courts have interpreted that way before doesn't that set a precedent?

Thanks once again for your input,

Neil

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting.... Apr 21, 2011

John Rawlins wrote:

If you are already paying social security as an employee, and translation is just a sideline, then I am certain you are not liable for €250 monthly contributions - although the officials in the social security office may try to pull the wool over your eyes.

In the past, I have made tax declarations as an employee and self-employed at the same time without any difficulties.

However, make sure that your employers know because the SS and Hacienda will (rather naughtily) tell them on your behalf.

Thanks for the info John, it6 leads me to a few questions...

And can I ask, John, did you complete Modelo 037 (Declaracion de Alta en el Censo de Profesionales....)? Or did you simply just pay your taxes at the end of the year in the normal declaration? Did you charge IVA to your clients when invoicing?

Thanks again,
Neil

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks once again Tim Apr 21, 2011

Timothy Barton wrote:

Dr Neil wrote:

If you are already paying tax on your other work, that means that you're above the income threshold for the basic tax rate, so you'll be paying tax on your translation earnings too, even if you're only earning 10€ a month. Your income tax is based on your overall earning, including salaried work, self-employed work, interest on savings, etc.

I have the opposite case. I teach six hours a week at a university on a salary. If that were the only work I did I'd pay no tax on that, but since I earn a lot more from my freelance work, I have to pay tax on it. A few years ago the university were making a 0% withholding, but I made sure I put money away in a savings account as I knew I'd be paying lots of tax once I made my annual tax declaration, as turned out to be the case.

I don't think anyone is accusing you of trying to dodge tax. We're just advising you that your plans aren't legal, because of the 183-day rule. I fully understand your predicament, as it's one I had myself when I first started freelancing. The solution is to register with the tax authorities but not to register with Social Security, that way you won't have to pay the 250€ SS contributions.

I've seen that same advice several times....it was my original plan, though some say it is also not strictly legal. It's what I probably end up doing...reluctantly due to Spanish redtape.

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a million Lutz Apr 21, 2011

Lutz Molderings wrote:

If you haven't got a physical address in the UK, google expat + address + UK and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

Thanks Lutz, it's good to know that there are already people doing something similar. Can I ask, are you self-employed in the UK? The address I can do (what are parents for?).....thanks again....

[Edited at 2011-04-20 22:01 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »