Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Can I be UK self-employed whilst resident in Spain?
Thread poster: Neil Ashby
sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Local time: 13:18
Spanish to English
Not so bad Apr 21, 2011

I worked as a freelancer in Spain and found the system fine. There may be more paperwork, but it's part of life in many countries. I now live in Italy where procedures are far more complex (and complicated) and where taxes are far higher.

You need an accountant. If the first one you talked to didn't know his stuff, talk to someone else. Use Proz forums to get advice on how to get a good accountant locally.

Martin Stranak
Martin Stranak  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I love this one :-) Apr 21, 2011

Williamson wrote:

A riddle:
Virgin ltd is based in London.
Richard Branson lives on a Necker Island.
Suppose he lived in Marbella and Virgin pays him dividends, a CEO-salary and bonusses.
To which country does Virgin ltd pay taxes and to which country would Branson pay taxes?
In the answer and a bit of creativity lies the solution to your problem.
Remember: In Europe, Britain is the odd man out and encourages business, whereas the other bureaucratic nightmares discourage business.

[Edited at 2011-04-21 09:20 GMT]

That´s a good one. Just wondering how many of these "corporate angels" are hanging over the taxation issue in Europe itself

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:18
Flemish to English
+ ...
A clue Apr 21, 2011

What is the difference between a ltd and the physical person?
Where does the ltd has to live and where is it taxed?
Wouldn't you better consult a British accountant instead of a gestor? The gestor knows a lot about bureaucracy, but nothing about the ways of the odd man out.
Ah, if you cannot beat them, join them (EU), but do things your way. That is what I like about Britain.

[Edited at 2011-04-21 14:17 GMT]

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Through the hoops Apr 21, 2011

[quote]Dr Neil wrote:

John Rawlins wrote:

Thanks for the info John, it6 leads me to a few questions...

And can I ask, John, did you complete Modelo 037 (Declaracion de Alta en el Censo de Profesionales....)? Or did you simply just pay your taxes at the end of the year in the normal declaration? Did you charge IVA to your clients when invoicing?

Thanks again,
Neil

Hi Neil

Yes, I went through all the hoops back in 1995 and I have always charged my clients VAT. I rarely use a gestor and prefer to do everything myself. My advice is to make sure that you talk to the back room managers at the tax and social security offices. The people on the front desk are usually very self-assured, but not very well informed.

The habit that you have to kick is to look for a clear 'yes' or 'no' to a technical question. Spanish individuals, companies, and organisations are loathe to give such 'child-like' answers. Everything is probably this and probably that - and you can't ask for any more.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
yes Apr 21, 2011

Dr Neil wrote:

Lutz Molderings wrote:

I'm not sure about the legal aspect, but it's certainly possible.

I'm British and although I pay income tax, VAT and NI in the UK, I don't really live there. I do spend a couple of months there every year, but most of the time I'm in Saigon.

I would actually rather pay my taxes in Vietnam, but it's virtually impossible unless you're married to a Vietnamese.

Anyway, all you really need is a UK address HMRC will accept, i.e. no PO box.
If you haven't got a physical address in the UK, google expat + address + UK and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

Thanks Lutz, it's good to know that there are already people doing something similar. Can I ask, are you self-employed in the UK? The address I can do (what are parents for?).....thanks again....

[Edited at 2011-04-20 22:01 GMT]

Yes Neil, I'm self-employed and pay voluntary VAT.

Meerburg TS
Meerburg TS  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Similar dilemma Mar 9, 2012

Hi,

I am struggling with some of the same issues.

This thread has cleared up some of my doubts, and I am planning soon to file for autonomo:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_spain_la_traducción_en_españa/116114-facturar_sin_ser_autonoma.html

Note also that Spain is g
... See more
Hi,

I am struggling with some of the same issues.

This thread has cleared up some of my doubts, and I am planning soon to file for autonomo:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_spain_la_traducción_en_españa/116114-facturar_sin_ser_autonoma.html

Note also that Spain is giving help to starting autonomos, check this link:

http://www.infoautonomos.com/ayudas-autonomos/subvenciones-para-autonomos/ayudas-y-subvenciones-para-autonomos/

And of course, the classic video short about filing for autonomo and the joys of Spanish bureaucracy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGHPpEmH14

Good luck!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I be UK self-employed whilst resident in Spain?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »