Thread poster: Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 8, 2011

Dear ProZians,

I am looking into buying a Kindle and some sort of device for reading and replying to emails so I can work on the go. Can you do this on a Kindle device? In relation to the internet, I would only want to check and reply to emails, and also download attachments. Or perhaps you could suggest a device that can do both things?

As you can see, I'm not a technology buff!

Happy translating!

Paul.

MaguMM
MaguMM
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:21
English to German
+ ...
iPad May 8, 2011

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if I'll be much help as I don't own a Kindle and have only used it in our local book shop. But from what I know Kindle does have a basic browser which means that you can check your emails and attachments anywhere you go, provided you buy the 3G version.

According to this article, there can be some hiccups with the emails - but then it was written in August, so things might have cha
... See more
Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if I'll be much help as I don't own a Kindle and have only used it in our local book shop. But from what I know Kindle does have a basic browser which means that you can check your emails and attachments anywhere you go, provided you buy the 3G version.

According to this article, there can be some hiccups with the emails - but then it was written in August, so things might have changed!

http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1924-how-to-read-your-email-on-the-kindle/

With regard to other devices, for me personally I just love the iPad and it's also available with 3G, but unfortunately also with a much higher price tag than the Kindle....

Theoretically you could also check your emails on a mobile phone such as Blackberry etc. but checking attachments might be quite a pain.

Sophie
Collapse

Tuncay Kurt
Tuncay Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:21
English to Turkish
+ ...
No need for an extra device! May 8, 2011

Hello Paul,

You can do all these with a cell phone and no need to carry another device just for your e-mails. Nokia e72 (which is one of the relatively cheaper model) will allow you to get your e-mails instantly with its mail application (provided that you have a 3g connection or wifi), read them, download the attachments, read word or pdf files and even edit word files, count the words in word formatted files, attach your files to your e-mails etc...I bought it 3-4 months ago and I
... See more
Hello Paul,

You can do all these with a cell phone and no need to carry another device just for your e-mails. Nokia e72 (which is one of the relatively cheaper model) will allow you to get your e-mails instantly with its mail application (provided that you have a 3g connection or wifi), read them, download the attachments, read word or pdf files and even edit word files, count the words in word formatted files, attach your files to your e-mails etc...I bought it 3-4 months ago and I am very happy with it as a constantly-travelling-freelance-translator. Surely you can use this phone to browse other web pages and some sites even have nokia applications. Hope it helps.

Tuncay
Collapse

Paul Adie (X)
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both. May 8, 2011

Yes, indeed what I'm looking for is exactly that: a device for a constantly travelling translator. I'll be out of Barcelona for 2 months during the summer, and other trips will likely pop up. However, isn't it very expensive to check emails in different countries with such devices? Would I need to take out a contract for the Nokia phone you describe?

Forgive the basic questions, I'm rather lost when it comes to technology!

Paul.

Tuncay Kurt
Tuncay Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:21
English to Turkish
+ ...
some tips May 8, 2011

Paul Adie wrote:

Yes, indeed what I'm looking for is exactly that: a device for a constantly travelling translator. I'll be out of Barcelona for 2 months during the summer, and other trips will likely pop up. However, isn't it very expensive to check emails in different countries with such devices? Would I need to take out a contract for the Nokia phone you describe?

Forgive the basic questions, I'm rather lost when it comes to technology!

Paul.

It is expensive to use internet with any device when you are in a different country which means you are in roaming status (there is a contract between your own gsm operator and the other country's gsm operator about this roaming prices). Roaming usually costs a lot! BUT no matter which device you have you will always need a 3g connection (aka: mobile) to use internet on your phone, ipad, laptop or etc UNLESS you are in a place where you can use wi-fi (such as hotels, cafes etc.)...I have no idea about the procedures to buy a phone with/without contract! BUT surely it is better to buy it without a contract OR even you can buy it in another country (in especially duty-free electronics shop, like I have bought my nokia e72 for only 330 dollars in Beirut airport).

My suggestion is: Buy a phone (nokia e72 if you can afford) which will allow you to use wifi and 3g connection and when you are in a different country buy a local sim card and use their own 3g connection instead of using it from your own (Spanish) gsm operator. Because you will pay what locals are paying for 3g connection. This idea is always the cheapest option when you stay in a different county for 1-2 weeks. For example: you came to Istanbul, in the airport you will see local gsm operators' desk. you will buy a Turkish sim card (which costs 15 dollars) and then you will buy some credits to use this sim card when you are in Turkey. For example, in Turkey you can consume 100 mb if you pay only 4.5 dollar. 100 mb will most probably be enough for you just to check your e-mails, reply them, download small files and even use other web pages or gps etc...Surely prices and procedures vary depending on the place you are travelling but it is always easy and cheap to have a local pre-paid sim card. NEVER use your own sim card when you are in abroad in case your own gsm company has some promotions-campaigns for roaming prices...

Also, in most countries I have visited there are always some cafes which provides free (or cheap) wi-fi connection (Gloria Jeans is my favorite) and a comfy-quiet place to work while sipping your coffee!

Hope it helps...

Tuncay

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:21
German to Spanish
Too small May 8, 2011

Tuncay Kurt wrote:

Buy a phone (nokia e72 if you can afford)

Tuncay

the display is too small.

iPhone or Android (Samsung, HTC, etc.)

And better a iPad 2 So you could make some small jobs on the fly with, for example, www.freetm.com (Wordfast)

Regards

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Turkey is very expensiv!! May 8, 2011

Tuncay Kurt wrote:

you came to Istanbul, in the airport you will see local gsm operators' desk. you will buy a Turkish sim card (which costs 15 dollars) and then you will buy some credits to use this sim card when you are in Turkey. For example, in Turkey you can consume 100 mb if you pay only 4.5 dollar.

Tuncay

Woow!! very expensiv!!! I get a Flat rate (1000 GB with UMTS) for 10 € here in Germany

And in Spain I can surf a lot with a few € (with SIMYO)

Both prepaid cards!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apples and oranges May 8, 2011

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Woow!! very expensiv!!! I get a Flat rate (1000 GB with UMTS) for 10 € here in Germany
!

That's either a typo or you're in a long-term mandatory subscription. The post you were responding to obviously referred to prepaid plans, which are great when you visit a country for a week; of course you never get 1000 gigs for 10 EUR in a prepaid package.
When they are guaranteed to get your 10EUR every single month for the next two (three) years, telecoms companies are much more generous with per-MB pricing.

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Prepaid May 8, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

!

That's either a typo or you're in a long-term mandatory subscription. The post you were responding to obviously referred to prepaid plans, which are great when you visit a country for a week; of course you never get 1000 gigs for 10 EUR in a prepaid package.
When they are guaranteed to get your 10EUR every single month for the next two (three) years, telecoms companies are much more generous with per-MB pricing.

I am speaking about prepaid cards.

I have SIMYO you pay 10 € for 30 days, no contracts.

In ALDI ist cheaper 8 € but you get only 400 GB by maximal baudrate, after 400 GB you get only 3G.

I repeat no contract. The SIM Card is 5 €.

In Spain you pay for kbs not for time.

In Thailand (I have also a prepaid there) you pay abut 8 € for 250 h in a month

www.simyo.de

Paul Adie (X)
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Need to change the title of the post. May 8, 2011

Dear ProZians,

I'll have to change the name of this post, as my request has changed. I've just bought a Kindle, so no need for an electronic book reader. Now I would like to find out about Smartphones. I'll be returning to Barcelona in September and would like to get a contract for one of these things, so I can reply to emails when out of the house. Suggestions are more than welcome.

Happy translating!

Paul.

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Near Field Communication-enabled phones vs. the iPhone May 9, 2011

Paul Adie wrote:

Dear ProZians,

I'll have to change the name of this post, as my request has changed. I've just bought a Kindle, so no need for an electronic book reader. Now I would like to find out about Smartphones. I'll be returning to Barcelona in September and would like to get a contract for one of these things, so I can reply to emails when out of the house. Suggestions are more than welcome.

Happy translating!

Paul.

The Samsung/Google Nexus S comes with an NFC chip (Near Field Communication -> you'll get to buy paperless tickets with it).

Full list of possible uses of NFC in general:
* P2P payment: Users can make payment to each other by tapping phones together and entering the amount of money to be transferred.
* Travel cards
* Identity documents
* Mobile commerce: NFC can enable the delivery of in-store promotions and couponing, driving sales of products or value-added services.
* Electronic keys: replacements for physical car keys, house/office keys, hotel room keys, etc. As such, NFC-enabled keys can be used by hotels and rental car companies to provide VIP service to customers. In corporate settings, NFC-enabled devices can control access to facilities and computer networks.
* Ubiquitous information applications, such as audio tour guides for art museums or public monuments, book sales and lending, movie trailers and DVD rentals and music purchases. Users can touch NFC-enabled phones to smart posters or tagged items to hear marketing information or view or hear media.
* Health and safety applications, such as water monitoring[10]; diet, diabetes, blood pressure and alcohol consumption monitoring; home healthcare visits; campus safety check-ins. In these scenarios, NFC-enabled phones and tagged items are often paired with other devices to provide consumers with personalized services and facilitate exchange of encrypted private data to doctors or other healthcare workers.
* Social networking: Users can exchange contacts, resume, and location-based personal networks using NFC-enabled phones or smart business cards and P2P file exchange.[11] In addition, they can alert friends to their location, check into commercial establishments to gain rewards, and rate products and services in real-time. Google is among the companies pioneering location-based rating services with its Google Places services, which has now been extended to several U.S. cities.
* Smart mobility: obtain access to shared car and bicycle services and search for rides with carpoolers.
* Entertainment: use your phone to participate in multiplayer games,[12] create and track athletic challenges and participate in urban games.

However, it seems the UK version of the Galaxy S2 will come without an NFC chip meaning it will never support NFC. Versions in other countries will support NFC, which is already used in a number of shops and is supported by other Gingerbread mobiles such as the Samsung/Google Nexus S.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is a premium phone that comes with a fast DualCore processor. It will be available probably already this month.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s2-930907/review

Its major competitor, the iPhone 5, will possibly only be made available in fall or even late 2011. There are no confirmed specs as of today.

I should add that because of its superior customizability, Android has been voted the #1 operating system for the global cell phone market by expert magazines such as Germany's Connect.

[Edited at 2011-05-09 12:55 GMT]

Both the S2 and Google Nexus S run Android.

[Edited at 2011-05-09 12:57 GMT]

Marimar Novoa
Marimar Novoa  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can use the kindle to read your e-mails Jun 28, 2011

Kindle has a basic browser and even has a kindle e-mail address which you could use when travelling abroad.

I have a kindle and as I said, the browser is basic but enough to read documents (or answering e-mails) when you are on the move.

I hope this link helps.

You can look up these addresses on “Manage Your
... See more
Kindle has a basic browser and even has a kindle e-mail address which you could use when travelling abroad.

I have a kindle and as I said, the browser is basic but enough to read documents (or answering e-mails) when you are on the move.

I hope this link helps.

You can look up these addresses on “Manage Your Kindle” page on amazon.com.

http://blogkindle.com/kindle-faq/#ixzz1QZThTA8q

[Edited at 2011-06-29 08:55 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kindle and email

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »