Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
I was almost scammed, but the BlueBoard saved me!
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
yonderer
yonderer
Local time: 10:18
Chinese to English
+ ...
I had been scammed quite often Feb 13, 2012

I have been freelancings for over a decade and it's fair to say I have been scammed enough times to be overly prudent. The nature of our profession allows virtual contact, which often leaves translators vulnerable.

Thanks to all the contributors for your helpful tips.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:18
French to German
+ ...
NO! Feb 13, 2012

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:
(.../...)
Said "client" of yours would never try such a thing with a lawyer, for example. Or with a financial professional, or with a plumber, or with a painter, or with an electrician, or with anyone else, because they know that these are tough professionals. But they also know that translators are nothing. They' re just "sweet and shy little geeks who work for nothing and are desparate for work, and even when they don't get paid, all they do is sending silly emails".

Isn't that so...

Definitely, NO!

I do not come close in any way to that description (maybe I did... 5 years ago, and only for a short period of time). I do not have any problem either to write e-mails containing references to BB or similar records, even if the reply from the potential client is deafening silence.

Like one of my favourite authors wrote in one of his novels, everything that goes out of my e-mail in terms of communication is "clean, neat, weighed and packed".

Many agencies don't like that... I keep wondering why.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I was almost scammed, but the BlueBoard saved me!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »