Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 10:16
Turkish to English
+ ...
This is what I exactly think of Nov 28, 2011

Claire Cox wrote:

I sometimes feel that the work we do is like being paid to sit and do crossword puzzles all day long - bliss!

The only difference is that you are fired if you cannot solve the crossword puzzles . So SOLVE FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:16
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What I like: To be always one step ahead Nov 28, 2011

Press releases: We translators will always know the news before they are published in the country of the target language. Technical manuals: We will always know first and in detail how this particular industrial machine works. Marketing and advertising: We decide what the consumer will read, and it depends on our skill if the product will be bought or if it will rot on the shelves. In short: I like the tremendous responsibility that comes with our job. This is what gets me out of bed every morni... See more
Press releases: We translators will always know the news before they are published in the country of the target language. Technical manuals: We will always know first and in detail how this particular industrial machine works. Marketing and advertising: We decide what the consumer will read, and it depends on our skill if the product will be bought or if it will rot on the shelves. In short: I like the tremendous responsibility that comes with our job. This is what gets me out of bed every morning and what keeps me going. Each job is a new experience.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:16
Member (2008)
Italian to English
INDEED Nov 28, 2011

Indeed, and without the work of the translator, thousands of products and services would never find new markets; thousands of academics would never see their work published; and thousands of books would never find a readership.

We translators perform a pivotal role. We should be reminding the world of this all the time

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 10:16
Turkish to English
+ ...
Free Alzheimer vaccine from me forever :) Nov 28, 2011

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:

...a lot of jobs I've had have actually had a numbing effect on my brain. On the other hand, translation - and even better, freelance translation (where you're exposed to a wide variety of texts in one year), is always "stimulating" in the sense that it always has your brain working hard. And with the latest findings on how the use of several languages on a daily basis slows the development of Alzheimers, well, that is one of the very positive aspects of it.(on the other hand - I don't think it's very good for my back or my future pension)

If you know someone with Alzheimer and receive free vaccine s/he can work at the office I work instead of me provided that I receive my salary again.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:16
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes. Nov 28, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Indeed, and without the work of the translator, thousands of products and services would never find new markets; thousands of academics would never see their work published; and thousands of books would never find a readership.

We translators perform a pivotal role. We should be reminding the world of this all the time

No law suits can be won, and no governments can communicate without us. Without us, world economy wouldn't be possible.

We tend to forget, and too many of us get lost in some weird kind of self-perception that is supposed to be measured in cents per word.

[Edited at 2011-11-28 22:06 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
$ Nov 28, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

We tend to forget, and too many of us get lost in some weird kind of self-perception that is supposed to be measured in cents per word.

Yes- NOT ENOUGH cents per word.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 03:16
Member (2011)
English to German
Mutual respect, professionalism and fair play among linguists. Nov 29, 2011

That is what I love most about my job!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
EVERYTHING!!! Aug 11, 2012

I went freelance full time a year ago next month. One of my favorite things about translating is that my wife and I work together in the same language pairs, plus she's a lot smarter than I am which makes my job much easier!

Aside from that, I do some side projects do Spanish/English QA for video games, so I have an excuse to play a little while "working"

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:16
Danish to English
+ ...
I 'enjoy'... Aug 11, 2012

Going with the 'tweeked' version of Lisa's question, I would say that what I 'enjoy' about working as an independent translator is:

1. Direct contact with my clients (worked 11 years as an in-house translator before going independent), being able to discuss details about specific jobs directly with my clients and reaping the benefits from my particular approach to such collaboration.
2. Working less hours, and still making a decent living.
3. Not wasting time commuting.<
... See more
Going with the 'tweeked' version of Lisa's question, I would say that what I 'enjoy' about working as an independent translator is:

1. Direct contact with my clients (worked 11 years as an in-house translator before going independent), being able to discuss details about specific jobs directly with my clients and reaping the benefits from my particular approach to such collaboration.
2. Working less hours, and still making a decent living.
3. Not wasting time commuting.
4. The occasional interesting jobs that happen to widen my horizon or fall within subject areas that I really want to learn more about (though, that was also the case when working for a translation agency).

Would I keep on translating if I won the lottery? No way! I'd quit the profession immediately and become an aspiring writer of my own texts, instead of being an intermediary between authors and readers.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
fewer Aug 11, 2012

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

.....working less hours

I know you meant "fewer" - i just thought I'd correct your typo.

Do I like asking myself questions and then answering them? You bet I do !

[Edited at 2012-08-11 13:01 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:16
Russian to English
+ ...
All and everything. Aug 11, 2012

I like everything related to translation, on the condition that I would translate only the texts I want to translate. Being forced to translate texts that are of no interest whatsoever to the translator, or badly written texts, may feel like a torture. I do many other different things related to languages as well, all of which are really fascinating. I like interpreting as well, and research. The texts I translate are diverse to a certain degree, however, they are usually either legal texts or l... See more
I like everything related to translation, on the condition that I would translate only the texts I want to translate. Being forced to translate texts that are of no interest whatsoever to the translator, or badly written texts, may feel like a torture. I do many other different things related to languages as well, all of which are really fascinating. I like interpreting as well, and research. The texts I translate are diverse to a certain degree, however, they are usually either legal texts or literature. Legal language can be fascinating, too. The most fascinating type of translation for me is literary translation, although it may prove the most challenging type. I personally believe that good translation is based on the translator's unconditional love for languages.Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Tom Aug 11, 2012

Are my cheeks burning? You bet!

Will never forget this again.

Thanks

Melissa Dedina
Melissa Dedina  Identity Verified
Czech to English
+ ...
I do love this work Aug 13, 2012

I like being able to fit work around my life rather than the other way around.

I like the puzzle-solving aspects of translation (as detailed above) and the feeling of accomplishment that comes when you find a really elegant solution.

I like the feeling of creating something polished and beautiful. Proofreading all too often feels like fixing bad English: performing a desperate triage operation in battlefield conditions only to end up with a passable result (I usually se
... See more
I like being able to fit work around my life rather than the other way around.

I like the puzzle-solving aspects of translation (as detailed above) and the feeling of accomplishment that comes when you find a really elegant solution.

I like the feeling of creating something polished and beautiful. Proofreading all too often feels like fixing bad English: performing a desperate triage operation in battlefield conditions only to end up with a passable result (I usually seem to get the salvage-type requests). Translation, though, means I don't have to deal with bad English. I can take the source and turn it into an English version I can be proud of, without feeling like I'm working uphill. Even something as prosaic as a business letter has a certain beauty about it when it's well written, I find. That's my job satisfaction.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you love about your job?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »