Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:05
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2011

Shall we focus on the positives just for one day and forget about grumbles regarding rates, agencies, scams, software and so on?

I'll start off with: "I love my job because of its variety. I will start today finishing the translation of a marketing document on bronzing powders (something that until yesterday I didn't even know existed), then move on to a patient questionnaire about constipation and end the day on a piece of hospital software. I feel that I'm learning and expanding m
... See more
Shall we focus on the positives just for one day and forget about grumbles regarding rates, agencies, scams, software and so on?

I'll start off with: "I love my job because of its variety. I will start today finishing the translation of a marketing document on bronzing powders (something that until yesterday I didn't even know existed), then move on to a patient questionnaire about constipation and end the day on a piece of hospital software. I feel that I'm learning and expanding my knowledge every single day."
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:05
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Variety, indeed Nov 25, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

I love my job because of its variety. (...) I feel that I'm learning and expanding my knowledge every single day."

I second that. For me, that's the most rewarding thing about the job. Specializing is all very well, but I wouldn't want to narrow my working fields too much.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:05
English to Russian
+ ...
I love it Nov 25, 2011

since I earn more than an in-house worker.
And I am the boss.

[Edited at 2011-11-25 10:53 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Being paid, I think Nov 25, 2011

Is basically it. Were I a man of independent means, I doubt this is how I'd spend my time, from which I conclude there is nothing I "love" about it. I appreciate the fact I get to pick and choose, to an extent, what I work on. I'm pleased I can sit and type this without having to join herds of unhappy souls on packed commuter trains. I'm doing something I can tolerate for a living, but "love".... ?

(I hope no-one flam
... See more
Is basically it. Were I a man of independent means, I doubt this is how I'd spend my time, from which I conclude there is nothing I "love" about it. I appreciate the fact I get to pick and choose, to an extent, what I work on. I'm pleased I can sit and type this without having to join herds of unhappy souls on packed commuter trains. I'm doing something I can tolerate for a living, but "love".... ?

(I hope no-one flames you for calling it a "job" but I bet someone does...!)
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
One aspect Nov 25, 2011

I actually found myself pondering this an hour ago, as I lay in bed at 9.45 am debating whether to get up yet and start work, or to do the first stint (email checking, newspapers, proz...) still warm and cosy in bed. After years of up and out at the crack of dawn this is perhaps one of the things I appreciate most - the flexibility.

I do enjoy the learning (even if mostly trivia) that goes in translation though - for example the other day I found out that I was eating my fruit fr
... See more
I actually found myself pondering this an hour ago, as I lay in bed at 9.45 am debating whether to get up yet and start work, or to do the first stint (email checking, newspapers, proz...) still warm and cosy in bed. After years of up and out at the crack of dawn this is perhaps one of the things I appreciate most - the flexibility.

I do enjoy the learning (even if mostly trivia) that goes in translation though - for example the other day I found out that I was eating my fruit from a "clamshell" pack, which I'd probably never have known or thought about but for a fruit and veg text I translated.
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stop everyone! Title changed :) Nov 25, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I'm doing something I can tolerate for a living, but "love".... ?

'love' downgraded to 'like' or 'tolerate' even.
'job' tweaked to 'work' or 'profession'. Are we splitting hairs here? Do you need to be employed to have a job?

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Variety and... Nov 25, 2011

Hi Lisa,

Like you I love the variety of what comes my way to translate, but I also love the fact that I can choose what I get to work on - if I don't like the look of something, I can always say no, which wasn't the case when I worked in-house. I sometimes feel that the work we do is like being paid to sit and do crossword puzzles all day long - bliss! Of course, there are boring assignments amongst the workload, but most of the time I love the fact that I'm learning new things as I
... See more
Hi Lisa,

Like you I love the variety of what comes my way to translate, but I also love the fact that I can choose what I get to work on - if I don't like the look of something, I can always say no, which wasn't the case when I worked in-house. I sometimes feel that the work we do is like being paid to sit and do crossword puzzles all day long - bliss! Of course, there are boring assignments amongst the workload, but most of the time I love the fact that I'm learning new things as I work.

I also love the fact that I can do it from home, when I like, more or less. If I choose to go out and play tennis or garden (or meet friends for a dog walk and coffee as happened yesterday), it's up to me to juggle the workload to accommodate that. No commuting, as Charlie said, no making packed lunches, no problem having to wait in for deliveries or repair men as I'm here anyway.

Best of all, I'm getting a new puppy as company for my lonely older dog next week and it won't be a problem having to puppy-sit all day: I can just move the laptop downstairs and prepare to be a little more distracted than usual!

And yes, I probably still would carry on doing this if I won the lottery (not that I do it!) - albeit to a lesser extent. I genuinely do enjoy what I do, which is a huge bonus in life.
Collapse

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Own boss Nov 25, 2011

Whilst not having to commute more than one hour each way to and from work every day is certainly very nice, I would say, having worked for some quite disagreeable people, that being my own boss is the greatest plus for me since I started working as a freelancer.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A rose by any other... Nov 25, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Were I a man of independent means, I doubt this is how I'd spend my time...

My case is the opposite - I'd likely keep working for at least a few of my regulars just to pass the time and keep my hand in. I'd probably do a pub quiz or two as well.

Re: "job". I don't see myself as "owning" a business (or even very professional in many aspects) but I do consider translation my current job, whatever others might wish to call it.

To quote Ivor Cutler: "I'm happy, I'm happy, and I'll punch the man who says I'm not."

[Edited at 2011-11-25 10:05 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Not my intention Nov 25, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I'm doing something I can tolerate for a living, but "love".... ?

'love' downgraded to 'like' or 'tolerate' even.
'job' tweaked to 'work' or 'profession'. Are we splitting hairs here? Do you need to be employed to have a job?

(To answer the last point first, I've seen people on here argue that you do. I'm more than happy to use it shorthand for "how I earn my living", and I do call it my "job" in casual conversation, 'cos that's what it is.)

I didn't mean for you to change the title. Your question was valid as it stood. I've seen enough posts on here and elsewhere over the years to know there are people who genuinely seem to "love" translating and being freelance and all that. I'm afraid my enthusiasm waned years ago, the novelty has worn off, and if there ever was anything I loved about it, there isn't now (and yes, I should probably be reviewing my career options). Probably not even being paid, although that is the best bit!
But without wanting to come over like a troll, I thought that "the money" or "nothing" is a valid answer to a question posed in terms of "love", as long as I leave it at that and don't try to convince people expressing other views that they are misguided. I'm pleased for those that find something in it to "love". I hope I get to read some answers that are unusual or thought provoking.

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's OK Charlie. Nov 25, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I didn't mean for you to change the title. Your question was valid as it stood.

'love' probably was too strong a word, but for every minus there can often be a plus and that's what I want us collectively to try and figure out. Now there are a lot of people who are self-employed and their own bosses, but is there something good that is specific to translation? I can think of 2 other things:
1) You can work absolutely anywhere. I can't think when I last 'spoke' to a client and the last one I met was over ten years ago.
2) You usually get paid. My husband works freelance in the media business. It's competitive, cut-throat and full of egos. Sadly the majority want something for nothing and to cap it all he then has to chase up payments for MONTHS, 4-6 months is very normal.

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
sleeping in is a really great plus Nov 25, 2011

I do love the sleeping in part. I also like that I can take my dog out and go for a walk when I want to, too. And I really like the fact that I see that even though I've been doing this for almost ten years, I'm still improving every day and learning new things.
I also love to bitch and moan about the problems, but personally, I think I had more stress when I was working in-house. At least now I can say no when I want to.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Translation as doing crosswords all day Nov 25, 2011

Claire, I love the analogy. Yes, translating is the same sort of intellectual challenge as a good cryptic crossword.

I like my job (and it is a job) because it is interesting, because I'm always finding out about things I didn't know, because I have a friendly set of clients (hardly any of whom I have met) and because it does a bt more than just pay the bills. I would love the flexibility, but my type of work/clientele doesn't really allow for it.

What I hate is the rel
... See more
Claire, I love the analogy. Yes, translating is the same sort of intellectual challenge as a good cryptic crossword.

I like my job (and it is a job) because it is interesting, because I'm always finding out about things I didn't know, because I have a friendly set of clients (hardly any of whom I have met) and because it does a bt more than just pay the bills. I would love the flexibility, but my type of work/clientele doesn't really allow for it.

What I hate is the relative isolation of teh working environment.
Collapse

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Love is... Nov 25, 2011

I have been pondering the question while gathering kindling. I love gathering kindling. You see a possible candidate to help you light the fire first time no messing... experience tells you that it looks dry enough... you pick it up... it breaks or it bends... you select or reject... the sun is shining...
Years ago in another life I gave up two very good jobs, one in the private sector and one in the public. Had I stayed in either of them I would definitely be earning shed loads of money b
... See more
I have been pondering the question while gathering kindling. I love gathering kindling. You see a possible candidate to help you light the fire first time no messing... experience tells you that it looks dry enough... you pick it up... it breaks or it bends... you select or reject... the sun is shining...
Years ago in another life I gave up two very good jobs, one in the private sector and one in the public. Had I stayed in either of them I would definitely be earning shed loads of money by now. I gave up the first because I love time more than money. I was only 25 then, so if I was ever to be financially ambitious that was surely the moment. I gave up the second for the love of my partner, who was working in Spain at the time. That is why I am here. We have two daughters and I love them both very much.
I work because I need the money. I provide a service people are prepared to pay for and I can usually balance work with time. When I say time I mean my time, time in which I can do what I want. This sometimes means doing translations for free for friends because it is something I can do, and I love my friends. "My" time is usually spent doing things which are in no way related to my "job" or making money. I have hobbies, and I would not want to turn them into my means of financial support because I love them and do not wish to taint them with the economics of capitalism.
I do not want to "develop" my "business" and I do not have a business plan, or any other plan. I sometimes enjoy translating and I sometimes don't. I have always found it hard to reconcile love and work, which is probably why I had time to ponder the question while gathering kindling.

@neilmac

Nice to see an Ivor Cutler quote.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
I love the LANGUAGE Nov 25, 2011

I'm surprised this hasn't been a more prominent answer.
I wanted to get into translation simply because I love Hebrew, and I wanted to work with it.
Learning it was definitely a labour of love, so I'll be damned if I won't try to get a return on the investment.

Out of all the languages I could have learned, and from amongst the few I was actually learning at the time, I chose Hebrew as my true love. Don't get me wrong, I've flirted with Greek a fair bit, but my marriage
... See more
I'm surprised this hasn't been a more prominent answer.
I wanted to get into translation simply because I love Hebrew, and I wanted to work with it.
Learning it was definitely a labour of love, so I'll be damned if I won't try to get a return on the investment.

Out of all the languages I could have learned, and from amongst the few I was actually learning at the time, I chose Hebrew as my true love. Don't get me wrong, I've flirted with Greek a fair bit, but my marriage to Hebrew is strong. This is what I love about translating, involving Hebrew in my daily working life. Before translating, I was a corporate drone for almost a decade and barely even used English (talking was frowned upon). So to break free and utilize language is the best aspect for me.

I agree with Matt on one point:

Matt Robinson said:
"I sometimes enjoy translating and I sometimes don't."

...I do have ups and downs with the actual process of translation, but my love for the language remains undiminished and is probably what keeps me going. (And I enjoy the learning aspect too, learning about things I'd never have learnt if I wasn't translating articles from a myriad of disciplines (an indictment - juicy secrets !! or a cosmetics website - hints for mother's day etc).

I can probably foresee a time when I've had enough, burnt out, whatever, but that's why I qualified as a teacher, to have variety in my career so burn out in either career path was less likely.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you love about your job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »