Thread poster: Annie Sapucaia
Annie Sapucaia
Annie Sapucaia  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:44
French to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2012

I was given a test of 1100 words for an agency, which I realize is much larger than most tests, but they're offering a full-time position as a translator with them, with a fixed salary. In this case, do you think a test of that length is acceptable? It was divided into several paragraphs relating to different fields. Any opinion is appreciated - I'm not quite sure what to think!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Did you apply? Jan 18, 2012

Annie Sapucaia wrote:
I was given a test of 1100 words for an agency, ... but they're offering a full-time position as a translator with them, with a fixed salary.

Did you apply for the job at the agency? If you applied for the job and followed the usual procedures for applying for a permanent job, then I think the test is acceptable. Did you know from the start that you were applying for a permanent position, or did the agency change their message about the reason for the test in mid-conversation? Do you qualify for the job, otherwise? Do they simply give the test to all candidates or do they give it only to the 10-20 shortlisted candidates?

1100 words as a test for employment is not too harsh, in my opinion. For a freelancer who wants to be listed in an agency's database of translators, 300 words (for a free test) is the upper limit.

It was divided into several paragraphs relating to different fields.

Then it is probably a real test and not someone trying to get a free translation.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I think the length is acceptable Jan 18, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

1100 words as a test for employment is not too harsh, in my opinion. For a freelancer who wants to be listed in an agency's database of translators, 300 words (for a free test) is the upper limit.

I agree with this. I also agree that since there are sections for different fields then it is indeed a test and not someone trying to get a translation done for free.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Different proposition, I suppose Jan 18, 2012

Hello Annie,

I imagine this is quite important to you, so you don't really want to do what sensible freelancers would do i.e. say "get lost!". Still, I think you must be careful not to be taken advantage of.

Do you already have an interview arranged? I wouldn't think it would be in order to present the translation before the interview - that leaves them too open to say "thanks, godbye". I would insist on delivering it at the interview at the earliest or even after the i
... See more
Hello Annie,

I imagine this is quite important to you, so you don't really want to do what sensible freelancers would do i.e. say "get lost!". Still, I think you must be careful not to be taken advantage of.

Do you already have an interview arranged? I wouldn't think it would be in order to present the translation before the interview - that leaves them too open to say "thanks, godbye". I would insist on delivering it at the interview at the earliest or even after the interview. After all, neither party knows whether they want to work together until then.

The other possibility is being paid for it, as a freelancer. Perhaps you could reduce your rates somewhat if you were happy to do that. Maybe you could charge them your normal rate, then waive the fee if they offer you the salaried job.

IMO, if you just say "yessir, right away sir" now you will set the mould for years of grief of being taken advantage of: "Urgent job Friday evening? - Oh, Annie will be happy to do that" etc.

Good luck whatever you decide to do (though I can't imagine it could be "lucky" to be an employee - horrible thought if you ask me, but that's just my personal opinion).

Sheila
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Appropriate if you have applied to the position Jan 18, 2012

If this is part of the recruitment process, I would say it is an acceptable size. After all, they want to be sure of your abilities in different types of texts.

[Edited at 2012-01-19 07:22 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
This was standard procedure for me Jan 18, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

If this is part of the recruitment process, I would say it is an acceptable size. After all, they want to be sure of your abilities in different types of texts.

As a PM, I used to send out about five different tests (legal, technical, financial, corporate bla-bla, marketing), and let the potential colleague choose which to translate.

That way I knew what kind of stuff they would feel comfortable with, as well as how good they were.

One person sent me a brilliant translation, but only one, so I knew there simply wouldn't be enough work for her, another did all of them, although he made a hash of a couple. He got the job, on the basis that he was pretty good at some and willing to try everything, and after all I would be mentoring him so he was bound to improve. And he did!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Test before interview makes sense to me Jan 18, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Do you already have an interview arranged? I wouldn't think it would be in order to present the translation before the interview - that leaves them too open to say "thanks, godbye". I would insist on delivering it at the interview at the earliest or even after the interview.

It makes perfect sense to me to have the test done before the interview. There is no good reason to have an interview with a candidate that doesn't meet at least most of the requirements. It makes more sense to let 20 people do the test and then invite 5 to an interview than to have an interview with all 20 people first.

A candidate can look perfect on paper, but a test translation shows up the difference between a truly experienced (or talented) translator and a highly qualified (but inexperienced or untalented) translator. Having an interview with the latter would be an utter waste of resources.

Annie Sapucaia
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did it, waiting for response Jan 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments, everyone!

Sheila - I spoke to the owner of the agency (it's a small one) on the phone. They seem quite legitimate. I understood that if I pass the test, there isn't an interview, but I'm not 100% sure. I definitely don't want to be taken advantage of, but it also seems like a rare job offer and I really don't like the instability of freelancing (I know there are definite upsides, but I'm not sure it's for me!) so I think it could be a good fit
... See more
Thank you so much for your comments, everyone!

Sheila - I spoke to the owner of the agency (it's a small one) on the phone. They seem quite legitimate. I understood that if I pass the test, there isn't an interview, but I'm not 100% sure. I definitely don't want to be taken advantage of, but it also seems like a rare job offer and I really don't like the instability of freelancing (I know there are definite upsides, but I'm not sure it's for me!) so I think it could be a good fit.

I decided to go ahead and do the test - they said they'd let me know within a few days, so I'll let you know!

Thanks again!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sounds serious Jan 19, 2012

Hello Annie,

I must say, I felt a good deal happier about it when we learned they were different extracts. That seems a lot more like a test and les like a freebie.

Annie Sapucaia wrote:
I understood that if I pass the test, there isn't an interview, but I'm not 100% sure.

Are you going to be working at their premises? If you are I do believe it's essential to have a meeting and see the place and the people, even if it isn't really an "interview". You've got to live a lot of your life there, after all! Even if you'll be working from home I'd still advise it. You're going to have a lot of contact with these people and it's good to have actually met them.

Anyway: Good luck! As you say, it's a rare opportunity.

Sheila

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sounds unusual for in-house fulltime job Jan 19, 2012

If it's a full-time position, these kinds of tests would usually be taken on their premises, under their monitoring, with a fixed text time from X to Y (with or without use of dictionary, that depends on the type of a job).

When it comes to "abuse", options are infinite, for instance they may use your test as translation samples to show to clients.

[Edited at 2012-01-19 08:51 GMT]

Annie Sapucaia
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Work from home Jan 19, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Annie Sapucaia wrote:
I understood that if I pass the test, there isn't an interview, but I'm not 100% sure.

Are you going to be working at their premises? If you are I do believe it's essential to have a meeting and see the place and the people, even if it isn't really an "interview". You've got to live a lot of your life there, after all! Even if you'll be working from home I'd still advise it. You're going to have a lot of contact with these people and it's good to have actually met them.

Anyway: Good luck! As you say, it's a rare opportunity.

Sheila

No, I'd be working from home, they're in a different city. Perhaps there's some kind of meeting on Skype.

Something else I thought was odd and would like your thoughts on...he said they expect translators to translate ~5-7,000 words a day. I know for one job that'd be outrageous, but would that be normal for a full-time position?

Thanks so much!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Go ahead and best of luck! Jan 19, 2012

I was asked to translate several short texts, maybe not quite 1000 words in total, but several hundred, after an agency had picked a short list of candidates. They wanted to reduce it even further before interviewing people.

In this business they want to see how you actually tackle a job, and what they have to build on. Once you are employed, you get paid for being there! So they naturally want to pick the candidate with the best foundation when they train you.

I got t
... See more
I was asked to translate several short texts, maybe not quite 1000 words in total, but several hundred, after an agency had picked a short list of candidates. They wanted to reduce it even further before interviewing people.

In this business they want to see how you actually tackle a job, and what they have to build on. Once you are employed, you get paid for being there! So they naturally want to pick the candidate with the best foundation when they train you.

I got the job and it was the best thing that could have happened - great colleagues who were very generous with help and advice, and steered me away from serious mistakes.

If it does not work out, you can hand in your notice and go freelance, but I would definitely give it a try. I hope you enjoy it and benefit as much as I did.
Collapse

Annie Sapucaia
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks so much Jan 19, 2012

Christine Andersen wrote:

I got the job and it was the best thing that could have happened - great colleagues who were very generous with help and advice, and steered me away from serious mistakes.

If it does not work out, you can hand in your notice and go freelance, but I would definitely give it a try. I hope you enjoy it and benefit as much as I did.

Thanks, Christine, for your input! Do you think 5-7,000 words is a reasonable expectation for a full-time position?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
5-7, 000 words a day Jan 19, 2012

If you were going to do it consistently, day after day, without much break, it would impact the quality since you would get tired and thus lose focus. In theory it is possible, but not in the long run.

It seems to me this agency has found a nice way to reduce their costs: offer them a full-time position with a fixed salary, then send them as much work as you can. It seems much cheaper to them than paying on per word basis. On the other hand, they probably charge the direct client by
... See more
If you were going to do it consistently, day after day, without much break, it would impact the quality since you would get tired and thus lose focus. In theory it is possible, but not in the long run.

It seems to me this agency has found a nice way to reduce their costs: offer them a full-time position with a fixed salary, then send them as much work as you can. It seems much cheaper to them than paying on per word basis. On the other hand, they probably charge the direct client by per word rate.
Collapse

Annie Sapucaia
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very good point Jan 19, 2012

Lingua 5B wrote:

It seems to me this agency has found a nice way to reduce their costs: offer them a full-time position with a fixed salary, then send them as much work as you can. It seems much cheaper to them than paying on per word basis. On the other hand, they probably charge the direct client by per word rate.

That's a really good point. I actually just wrote to them and turned it down. I don't even know if I passed the test, but I honestly don't think I can handle 5-,7000 words a day, and being at my computer for 9 hours straight.

Being able to freelance really is invaluable, even if you do miss the security of a paycheck (and I do)!

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1100 word translation test

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »