Thread poster: Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Olga Dyussengaliyeva  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 14:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 18, 2012

Recently there was a job posting at Proz.com with title: All languages into ENG, long-term
After applying I received instruction on paying 20 Euro of membership fee in the kakushin linguist group which is, as instruction says, not an agency but a group of people with client network. The link to the group website actually opened a website on living and working in Turkey, can't see how the two are related. Is anyone aware of this group, become a member or has any thoughts on this - feasibili
... See more
Recently there was a job posting at Proz.com with title: All languages into ENG, long-term
After applying I received instruction on paying 20 Euro of membership fee in the kakushin linguist group which is, as instruction says, not an agency but a group of people with client network. The link to the group website actually opened a website on living and working in Turkey, can't see how the two are related. Is anyone aware of this group, become a member or has any thoughts on this - feasibility of paying membership in the first line of course?
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:59
French to English
sounds fishy Jul 18, 2012

This sounds really fishy to me - I would steer clear of anything that requires a fee to get jobs. You might even send a query about the job posting to site staff, perhaps they can do something.

Joao Vasconcelos
Joao Vasconcelos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:59
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
fishy indeed Jul 18, 2012

I received their email and instructions for payment today. I checked their website http://turkishexpert.info/index.php/en/ and, as you can see for yourself, the contents are weird to say the least. I have chosen not to pay the 20 euros.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:59
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Appropriate action has been taken Jul 18, 2012

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this. Site staff has taken action in this situation. Note that, while I cannot confirm whether this company is legitimate or not, I can confirm that requesting payment from service providers is in direct violation of job posting rule #1.2, http://www.proz.com/siterules/jobs_posting/1.2#1.2

If you see any more job postings with simi
... See more
Hello,

Thanks for reporting this. Site staff has taken action in this situation. Note that, while I cannot confirm whether this company is legitimate or not, I can confirm that requesting payment from service providers is in direct violation of job posting rule #1.2, http://www.proz.com/siterules/jobs_posting/1.2#1.2

If you see any more job postings with similar terms, please submit a support request so site staff can take action swiftly.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Vicente Victorica
Vicente Victorica  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:59
English to Spanish
Other tips identifying spammy posters Jul 18, 2012

I seemed attractive but I found this red flags:
-They used a free e-mail system (such as gmail or hotmail), not a company e-mail
-They said their blue board status was good but they were not even listed
-They ask for a direct payment with paypal, instead of having a website with an automatic charging system
so... let's be cautious. Reading Proz guidelines will help a lot as well...

[Edited at 2012-07-18 16:53 GMT]

Christoffer Rosendahl
Christoffer Rosendahl
Sweden
Local time: 10:59
English to Swedish
+ ...
Another e-mail Jul 25, 2012

I also received this offer and just like the rest of you, I was a bit suspicious. I googled the name and found this thread, so I decided to ignore the e-mail. But a few days later I received another e-mail from the same person, asking me if I wanted to join another "association" called the "Matrix 2012 Group".

The description of this association was similar to the Kakushin group, but this one was apparently free of charge. I asked why I was sent 2 invitations and got the reply that
... See more
I also received this offer and just like the rest of you, I was a bit suspicious. I googled the name and found this thread, so I decided to ignore the e-mail. But a few days later I received another e-mail from the same person, asking me if I wanted to join another "association" called the "Matrix 2012 Group".

The description of this association was similar to the Kakushin group, but this one was apparently free of charge. I asked why I was sent 2 invitations and got the reply that my name was mixed with another person with a similar name.

I'm still a bit suspicious, but being new to the industry and related scams, I can't help but wondering. What is the worst that can happen if I send them my rates, pais, specialties and services, which is all of the information they wanted? They say it's a non-binding offer and that I will sign a freelance non-disclosure agreement, and my details will be protected, etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kakushin linguist group

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »