Do I need to get PPI if I take on clients independently, rather than work for agencies? (I am in UK)
Thread poster: Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:09
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 23, 2012

I have been translating for a few years and up to now almost all of my clients have been agencies, apart from one or two companies. I am thinking of setting up my own website to boost my business, rather than just finding work through Proz, which is where all my work has come from up to now. I am concerned that if I attract clients independently through my own advertising, I may not be covered for my work and may need insurance, as I may be dealing with clients directly. Do I need to take o... See more
I have been translating for a few years and up to now almost all of my clients have been agencies, apart from one or two companies. I am thinking of setting up my own website to boost my business, rather than just finding work through Proz, which is where all my work has come from up to now. I am concerned that if I attract clients independently through my own advertising, I may not be covered for my work and may need insurance, as I may be dealing with clients directly. Do I need to take out PPI or any other sort of indemnity? Do most translators have this?Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:09
French to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 23, 2012

It's generally a good idea to get insurance if you're working with direct clients. Agencies and translation companies will usually have their own insurance.

It's not called PPI, though (that's short for Payment Protection Insurance, which has been in the news a lot recently) - it's called professional indemnity insurance. If you're a member of the ITI or CIoL, there are good deals available via their recommended brokers. Look on their websites for more details.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need to get PPI if I take on clients independently, rather than work for agencies? (I am in UK)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »