Why no current Italian English ATA certification?
Thread poster: Audra deFalco (X)
Audra deFalco (X)
Audra deFalco (X)
United States
Local time: 02:33
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2013

Recently I've been looking into getting my ATA certification after years and years of freelancing. Upon researching certification on their website, it appears that they are not currently offering tests or certifications for Italian English translators.

Anyone know why or when they'll start offering certification again?

Thanks and happy work to all!

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Have you asked the ATA? Mar 28, 2013

They would be in the best position to answer your question.

Audra deFalco (X)
Audra deFalco (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Whoa Mar 28, 2013

I cannot believe I hadn't even thought of that!

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
It sounds odd Mar 28, 2013

I am reading on ATA's website:

Certification is currently available:
- into English from Arabic, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish
- from English into Chinese, Croatian, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Ukrainian.

[http://www.atanet.org/certification/aboutcert_overview.php]

Next sitting in NYC is on Ap
... See more
I am reading on ATA's website:

Certification is currently available:
- into English from Arabic, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish
- from English into Chinese, Croatian, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Ukrainian.

[http://www.atanet.org/certification/aboutcert_overview.php]

Next sitting in NYC is on April 27, and you can take the EN>IT examination
See here: http://www.atanet.org/certification/upcoming.php
Collapse

Audra deFalco (X)
Audra deFalco (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mea culpa! Mar 28, 2013

I should have mentioned I only interpret from English into Italian, but translate strictly Italian > English (unless it's a standard document like a birth certificate, death certificate, etc.)

Seems to me I'll have to wait for the next Italian > English exam.

Sorry for the confusion!

[Edited at 2013-03-28 19:37 GMT]

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
then... Mar 28, 2013

...you're out of luck.

And you are right, ATA doesn't serve your pair.

Katy Ferrari
Katy Ferrari
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Exam should be reinstated soon Mar 28, 2013

From what I understand, the IT>EN exam was suspended in 2007 because they no longer had enough IT>EN certified translators willing to act as graders. I found out about this by contacting the ATA back in 2008 when I noticed the exam was no longer offered and I've been following the situation since then.

The good news is that it looks like the exam will be offered again sometime soon. I'm on the mailing list for the Italian Language Division of the ATA and we got a recent update that
... See more
From what I understand, the IT>EN exam was suspended in 2007 because they no longer had enough IT>EN certified translators willing to act as graders. I found out about this by contacting the ATA back in 2008 when I noticed the exam was no longer offered and I've been following the situation since then.

The good news is that it looks like the exam will be offered again sometime soon. I'm on the mailing list for the Italian Language Division of the ATA and we got a recent update that the process is underway. A team of graders has been assembled and they have selected enough translation passages to submit for the vetting process. Hopefully we'll hear some good news about this in the next few months.
Collapse

Audra deFalco (X)
Audra deFalco (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info! Mar 30, 2013

Katy,

Thanks so much for the info. I'm happy it will be offered soon. We should stay in touch since we're both interested in ATA certification in the same language paid. Maybe we'll be taking the exam around the same time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why no current Italian English ATA certification?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »