Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Health insurance for translators in Germany?
Thread poster: Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Local time: 15:48
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beratungstermin set up + tax book ordered + one more question May 21, 2013

Again, thanks for the help and input. Yer all stars, ye are. Go raibh maith agat as they say in Ireland.

At the weekend, I was looking around on some website dealing with insurance and filled out my details. Was woken up by a phone call this morning. Friendly person on the phone asking me about the state of my teeth, etc. Quite bizarre, but now I have a Beratungstermin about private Krankenversicherung set up for Friday with inpunkto exklusiv. The name sounds a bit ominous as I'm l
... See more
Again, thanks for the help and input. Yer all stars, ye are. Go raibh maith agat as they say in Ireland.

At the weekend, I was looking around on some website dealing with insurance and filled out my details. Was woken up by a phone call this morning. Friendly person on the phone asking me about the state of my teeth, etc. Quite bizarre, but now I have a Beratungstermin about private Krankenversicherung set up for Friday with inpunkto exklusiv. The name sounds a bit ominous as I'm looking for something as inexklusiv as possible, but I suppose listening to what they have to say won't do any harm.

---------------------------

Petra_44 wrote:

I'd recommend you get "Konz: 1000 ganz legale Steuertricks". There's a red and an orange version, and the red version is better for beginners.

Thanks. Have ordered it for €9.99 from weltbild.de. Seems like a sound investment.

---------------------

I've started looking into registering the company and I want to set up a Gesellschaft des Bürgerlichen Rechts and include my girlfriend as she is just starting out in the translation business (i.e. at the finding clients stage) and I figured it would be easier if we were both in it together rather than registering two different Einzelunternehmen. Any thoughts or words of warning/wisdom on that?
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Be careful! May 21, 2013

Anders Dalstrom wrote:

At the weekend, I was looking around on some website dealing with insurance and filled out my details. Was woken up by a phone call this morning. Friendly person on the phone asking me about the state of my teeth, etc. Quite bizarre, but now I have a Beratungstermin about private Krankenversicherung set up for Friday with inpunkto exklusiv. The name sounds a bit ominous as I'm looking for something as inexklusiv as possible, but I suppose listening to what they have to say won't do any harm.

You should be very cautious here. This is basically the same as door-to-door salespeople trying to wheedle you into signing overpriced newspaper abos. Whatever you do, don't sign anything during your appointment.

Generally speaking, you should think twice before entering a PKV (as others have said before). You almost certainly want a GKV.

Anders Dalstrom wrote:

I've started looking into registering the company and I want to set up a Gesellschaft des Bürgerlichen Rechts and include my girlfriend as she is just starting out in the translation business (i.e. at the finding clients stage) and I figured it would be easier if we were both in it together rather than registering two different Einzelunternehmen. Any thoughts or words of warning/wisdom on that?

I'm not sure about how you would benefit from a GbR? Generally speaking, you don't need to register a company in order to work as a translator - basically, you just go ahead. Even if you don't have to (because your income stays below a certain limit), you should consider registering for USt. (VAT), though, unless your clients are mainly private individuals.

[Bearbeitet am 2013-05-21 14:43 GMT]

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But surely you need to register? May 21, 2013

efreitag wrote:

You should be very cautious here. This is basically the same as door-to-door salespeople trying to wheedle you into signing overpriced newspaper abos. Whatever you do, don't sign anything during your appointment.

Generally speaking, you should think twice before entering a PKV (as others have said before). You almost certainly want a GKV.

OK. Thanks. They sound reasonable enough (it's called an "unabhängigen Krankenversicherungsvergleich"), but I will definitely keep your advice in mind.

I'm not sure about how you would benefit from a GbR? Generally speaking, you don't need to register a company in order to work as a translator - basically, you just go ahead. Even if you don't have to (because your income stays below a certain limit), you should consider registering for USt. (VAT), though, unless your clients are mainly private individuals.

You've rattled the foundations of my "knowledge" of the German system here. I thought it was compulsory to register at least as an Einzelunternehmen? And if I'm not registered as an Einzelunternehmen, how do I go about registering for MwSt? Is there a book or manual or the like that spells things out (it can be in German as long as it's fairly straightforward (i.e. the sentences are not as long as the Unter den Linden...))? I clearly need to do more research.

Wolfgang Vogt
Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:48
English to German
+ ...
some links May 21, 2013

Hi Anders,

Here are some links which might help you in case you haven't come across those pages yet. They contain all kinds of information for people who want to start a business, be it a company or as a freelancer, including some guidance as to the various types of insurances.
Basically I'm in the same situation as I'll be moving back to Germany in August (after ten years abroad) and I found them very helpful.

Goo
... See more
Hi Anders,

Here are some links which might help you in case you haven't come across those pages yet. They contain all kinds of information for people who want to start a business, be it a company or as a freelancer, including some guidance as to the various types of insurances.
Basically I'm in the same situation as I'll be moving back to Germany in August (after ten years abroad) and I found them very helpful.

Good luck!

http://www.erfolg-als-freiberufler.de/
http://www.freie-berufe.de/
http://www.ifb.uni-erlangen.de/index.php?id=210
http://www.existenzgruender.de
Collapse

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The weekend is saved! :-) May 21, 2013

Wolfgang Vogt wrote:

Hi Anders,

Good luck!

http://www.erfolg-als-freiberufler.de/
http://www.freie-berufe.de/
http://www.ifb.uni-erlangen.de/index.php?id=210
http://www.existenzgruender.de

That's great. Vielen dank! Looks like they are indeed very useful. Will read more thoroughly as soon as deadlines allow.

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
€280 per month May 24, 2013

Have now spoken to the insurance broker. €280 per month for a private one, no Strafgebühren for not having had health insurance previously, but I have to pass a medical examination first.

It's a lot of money considering my expenditure for health insurance in Ireland was €0, but I'm beginning to realise that Germany is a different kettle of fish. Should I go for it or run away screaming?

I should also add that the plan as it at the moment is to stay in Germany for
... See more
Have now spoken to the insurance broker. €280 per month for a private one, no Strafgebühren for not having had health insurance previously, but I have to pass a medical examination first.

It's a lot of money considering my expenditure for health insurance in Ireland was €0, but I'm beginning to realise that Germany is a different kettle of fish. Should I go for it or run away screaming?

I should also add that the plan as it at the moment is to stay in Germany for a year or two, so I don't really have to worry about the prices being jacked up.

[Edited at 2013-05-24 12:23 GMT]
Collapse

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
A bargain May 24, 2013

Compared to my monthly GKV premium that's a bargain.

But I think I would try and get a few other offers before signing anything. And make sure to read the small print of course...

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks yet again! May 24, 2013

inkweaver wrote:

Compared to my monthly GKV premium that's a bargain.

But I think I would try and get a few other offers before signing anything. And make sure to read the small print of course...

Doesn't feel like a bargain, but if you say so... The broker sent me a 'PKV-analyse' with the Beiträge for 32 different Gesellschäfte, ranging from €280 to €560. Will ponder on it over the weekend, so.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
PKV vs. GKV May 24, 2013

Anders Dalstrom wrote:

I should also add that the plan as it at the moment is to stay in Germany for a year or two, so I don't really have to worry about the prices being jacked up.

Ah, I didn't know this. Forget my earlier warning about PKV in general, then. 280€ sounds like quite a good deal, but check what they and other insurance companies offer for your money, too.

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will do. May 24, 2013

efreitag wrote:

Anders Dalstrom wrote:

Ah, I didn't know this. Forget my earlier warning about PKV in general, then. 280€ sounds like quite a good deal, but check what they and other insurance companies offer for your money, too.

Mache ich. Schönes Wochenende noch and stay away from the Spargel (trying to figure out what the German obsession with asparagus is...)!

Wolfgang Vogt
Argentina
English to German
+ ...
another option May 24, 2013

Anders, if you plan to stay only a couple of years you could try with "Reiseschutz für ausländische Gäste für Aufenthalte bis zu 5 Jahren". This is a service offered by various PKK and is much cheaper.

HanseMerkur charges 69€ per month for the basic version and I'm sure there are others which might be interesting as well.
<
... See more
Anders, if you plan to stay only a couple of years you could try with "Reiseschutz für ausländische Gäste für Aufenthalte bis zu 5 Jahren". This is a service offered by various PKK and is much cheaper.

HanseMerkur charges 69€ per month for the basic version and I'm sure there are others which might be interesting as well.

http://www.hansemerkur.de/produkte/reiseversicherung/auslaendische-gaeste/langzeit-versicherung
Collapse

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds very sweet, but is it too good to be true? May 24, 2013

Wolfgang Vogt wrote:

http://www.hansemerkur.de/produkte/reiseversicherung/auslaendische-gaeste/langzeit-versicherung

€70 per month would be nice, but is it entirely without risks?

http://www.expat-blog.com/en/guide/europe/germany/1614-legality-of-your-health-insurance.html

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Get proper insurance May 25, 2013

IMHO, it's not worth risking getting into trouble.

If you are only going to stay a couple of years go for the best PKV offer, that way you will be properly covered and you will be sure that you won't get into trouble, plus it's tax-deductible.
I don't know if you could find a PKV premium under 280 €, but as I said, compared to what I pay every month this is a bargain.

Also a couple of quick links:
... See more
IMHO, it's not worth risking getting into trouble.

If you are only going to stay a couple of years go for the best PKV offer, that way you will be properly covered and you will be sure that you won't get into trouble, plus it's tax-deductible.
I don't know if you could find a PKV premium under 280 €, but as I said, compared to what I pay every month this is a bargain.

Also a couple of quick links:

http://www.erfolg-als-freiberufler.de/Anmeldung-beim-Finanzamt.php (This website has already been mentioned, but this link should answer your question regarding registration with the tax office very quickly).

http://www.erfolg-als-freiberufler.de/Anmeldung-beim-Finanzamt.php (This one will tell you what you need to do to get a Ust-Idnr.)

[Edited at 2013-05-25 06:29 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Vogt
Argentina
English to German
+ ...
oops... May 25, 2013

Anders Dalstrom wrote:

http://www.expat-blog.com/en/guide/europe/germany/1614-legality-of-your-health-insurance.html

sorry, didn't even imagine that could get you into trouble...

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kein Thema :-) May 25, 2013

Wolfgang Vogt wrote:

Anders Dalstrom wrote:

sorry, didn't even imagine that could get you into trouble...

No worries at all. It sounded a bit too good to be true. I'll go with inkweaver and the €280 crowd and deduct the hell out of it. That website erfolg-als-freiberufler.de is very good, although the form they're explaining is from 2009 and the 2012 one is a little different. Anyway, have it filled out now and will go to the Finanzamt on Monday and ask a few remaining questions.

To all who have helped with answers, words of warning, encouragment, etc: Contact me if/when you're in Berlin for drinks & grub on me.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Health insurance for translators in Germany?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »