Thread poster: Stuart Carthy
Stuart Carthy
Stuart Carthy  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:22
Japanese to English
Oct 16, 2013

Hello

I'm just starting out as a freelance translator and I want to set up a trading names using my initials. Can anyone tell me how I go about this?

I live in Japan and will be working for agencies in other countries, particularly the UK.

Answers much appreciated

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:22
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Craft your titles Oct 16, 2013

Never forget that your posts in English will reach translators around the globe. So either post in the Japanese forum or use a title like: How do I register a trading name in Japan.

Cheers,
Gerard

Simona Micutari
Simona Micutari  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Romanian
+ ...
Depends Oct 26, 2013

It depends on the country you live in. In many European countries, the most cost-effective, appropriate way to do this is to register as a sole trader (self-employed). That way you can keep taxes to a minimum, but you also leave open the possibility of hiring others in the future if your business expands significantly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I register a trading name?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »