Setting up as a freelancer in Germany: when are you allowed to start working?
Thread poster: Isabel Cal Díaz
Isabel Cal Díaz
Isabel Cal Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
Nov 19, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I´ve very recently moved to Germany and I´m in the process of becoming a freelancer here. I haven´t yet submitted my application for a tax number and VAT ID to the Finanzamt because I´m still waiting for my personal identification number to arrive, which I think is a pre-requisite to fill in the registration form (Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung).

According to the tax advisor I´ve been in touch with, I can start working straightaway and issue
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I´ve very recently moved to Germany and I´m in the process of becoming a freelancer here. I haven´t yet submitted my application for a tax number and VAT ID to the Finanzamt because I´m still waiting for my personal identification number to arrive, which I think is a pre-requisite to fill in the registration form (Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung).

According to the tax advisor I´ve been in touch with, I can start working straightaway and issue "preliminary" invoices (stating "VAT. number requested") as long as my clients agree to this, even if I haven´t officially registered as a freelancer. German is not one of my working languages and I only have a very basic knowledge of it, so I´d like to verify this just in case.

I´ve been self-employed since 2005 (first in the UK and then in Spain) and would like to resume my freelancing as soon as possible, so if any of you have been in this situation, I´d be very grateful if you could share your experiences. When did you start working after you arrived in Germany? From what I´ve heard, my personal identification number will arrive in two or three weeks, and after I register with the Finanzamt, it could take 4-6 weeks to obtain a tax ID and VAT number. Is it safe to work in the meantime and issue these "preliminary" invoices?

Many thanks,

Sabela
Collapse

Robert Zöger
Robert Zöger
English to German
Depends on your clients Nov 19, 2013

Your tax advisor is right - you can start right away. However, there is a certain risk that your clients won't accept your "preliminary invoices". Be sure to check with them in advance.

Best,
Robert

Patricia Patho
Patricia Patho
Germany
Member (2013)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Right away Nov 19, 2013

Hi Sabela,

You've been informed correctly. If you have already requested your Steuernummer, you can start working (specifying it on your invoices). But if you still want to wait (as I did), my Steuernummer arrived in 3 weeks.

About the Steuer-Identifikationsnummer, if you are a "Kleinunternehmer" (meaning, you don't charge VAT) you don't need it and the Finanzamt won't give you one.

Hope I helped you and mucha suerte!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
When you are ready Dec 30, 2013

Hi Sabela,

for the invoice processing it would be best to wait for your tax ID number, since it must be on your invoice.

As soon as you have requested your tax ID number, you can also state on your invoice that your tax ID number will be submitted at a later date. This might complicate things for your clients, though, sincve they would have to handle the same invoice twice.

If you have clients who agree to a monthly invoice, then there shouldn't be any (le
... See more
Hi Sabela,

for the invoice processing it would be best to wait for your tax ID number, since it must be on your invoice.

As soon as you have requested your tax ID number, you can also state on your invoice that your tax ID number will be submitted at a later date. This might complicate things for your clients, though, sincve they would have to handle the same invoice twice.

If you have clients who agree to a monthly invoice, then there shouldn't be any (legal) problems,

Have a successful 2014!

Thayenga
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up as a freelancer in Germany: when are you allowed to start working?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »