Thread poster: Cristina Mazzucchelli
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:09
Flemish to English
+ ...
Where do you want to go today? Jul 1, 2005

is the key-question which you will have to answer.
If I were 25 with the knowledge of the world, I have today, I would not post on this forum, because I would not be a translator. I know where my heart is, but I am too old for that profession now.
Ask yourself where you want to be when you are 45?
CEO of a company, a wealthy lady, an Europolitician with a montly salary of currently €11,000, a freelancer, who is not always as free as one might think.
I guess that feelin
... See more
is the key-question which you will have to answer.
If I were 25 with the knowledge of the world, I have today, I would not post on this forum, because I would not be a translator. I know where my heart is, but I am too old for that profession now.
Ask yourself where you want to be when you are 45?
CEO of a company, a wealthy lady, an Europolitician with a montly salary of currently €11,000, a freelancer, who is not always as free as one might think.
I guess that feeling at home in a country applies more to somebody who originates from one state with one language than for somebody who comes from a hybrid construction with three official languages. If the job means a plusvalue in achieving your goals take it, if not look somewhere else to achieve these goals.
Life is like a tunnel: the younger you are the more chances society will give you. The older you get the more difficult it becomes to turn the ship into another direction.

[Edited at 2005-07-01 18:42]
Collapse

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 08:09
English to Spanish
Life Plan Jul 1, 2005

According to my unoficial and unrealized life plan, from 25 to 33 you should explore options in order to choose a professional path. Then from 33 to 50 you work hard to reach your goals. At 50 you start enjoying life more, taking Thursday afternoons off and long vacations. Then at 60 you retire completely, live until 80 and then die suddenly (a heart attack is a good option, so enjoy food) and in peace.

So you are right at the beginning of the exploratory phase. But going back to sc
... See more
According to my unoficial and unrealized life plan, from 25 to 33 you should explore options in order to choose a professional path. Then from 33 to 50 you work hard to reach your goals. At 50 you start enjoying life more, taking Thursday afternoons off and long vacations. Then at 60 you retire completely, live until 80 and then die suddenly (a heart attack is a good option, so enjoy food) and in peace.

So you are right at the beginning of the exploratory phase. But going back to school is not an option, I'm afraid. You need real-life experience and a lot of it, in order to choose what you will do from 33 onwards. You'll have a short 17-year period to achieve the zenith of your success so you better be sure about what you want to do and what you are capable of doing.

Forget about school. Going back to school at 25 implies stagnation and cocooning. Pick the job and be always on the lookout for better opportunities. A good sign, but not the only one, of a better opportunity is that it implies more money. See what moves you, what non-existing things make you feel excited when you think about them being realized.

And BTW, if you plan to go to graduate school to be a more qualified translator, that's a very, very bad idea. It's like going to advanced-sewing school right before the invention of the sewing machine and England's colonization of India.

Just my opinion, but I feel strongly about it.
Collapse

Per Hoegh Henriksen
Per Hoegh Henriksen
Spain
Local time: 14:09
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
In every leaving an angel dies, a christ is born. In all arriving the sadest luck. Jul 2, 2005

The case that choice is choice, even when we choose not to choose, makes any option important, but the saying goes: if you feel good where you are, why change? And since you ask, as 50% of the answer is within the question, had you wanted to go, you would just have gone. Best of fortunes, Dálor

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Follow what? Jul 2, 2005

I lot of people say "follow your heart" and various life plans, but I would say that the most sensible thing is to carefully analyze the opportunity that is before you, how feasible and promising it may be, what it may mean for your future, etc., and do so objectively. Then compare it with the other options available to you after analyzing them as well.

No one can know for sure, but if you act after studying things out well, that is certainly better than acting on feelings. And it a
... See more
I lot of people say "follow your heart" and various life plans, but I would say that the most sensible thing is to carefully analyze the opportunity that is before you, how feasible and promising it may be, what it may mean for your future, etc., and do so objectively. Then compare it with the other options available to you after analyzing them as well.

No one can know for sure, but if you act after studying things out well, that is certainly better than acting on feelings. And it also much better to look positively upon the possibility of remaining in Italy even though you had your heart set on going elsewhere. Maybe Italy is where your future lies, at least for now.

Or maybe if you give it a chance, it will lead you to those places where you want to go. At the age of 25 nothing is cast in stone. If it works all the better; and if it does not, then you can always make other plans!

It is a common pattern for people to make the most important choices in life on a whim and without thinking at all. But a certain amount of thought can be very helpful. Try it and see what comes of it. Those people who actually plan often tend to come out way ahead in the end.
Collapse

Joanna Rączka
Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Well, it's only a job and you are so young. Jul 2, 2005

I am over 40, freelancing for a couple of years, quite successful, very busy, though it was rather difficult to start and I had to work really hard to achieve this position. The interpreting/translating market does not like newcomers. I have just got a proposal to circumnavigate the world on a sailing boat. It's always been the dream of my life. But it'll take two years. After two years, I don't know what the market will be, whether my current clients/agencies would like to see me again. Startin... See more
I am over 40, freelancing for a couple of years, quite successful, very busy, though it was rather difficult to start and I had to work really hard to achieve this position. The interpreting/translating market does not like newcomers. I have just got a proposal to circumnavigate the world on a sailing boat. It's always been the dream of my life. But it'll take two years. After two years, I don't know what the market will be, whether my current clients/agencies would like to see me again. Starting anew may mean developing my customer base from scratch. Will I be able to come back and rebuild my position? I don't know. But it might be my only chance to sail around the world and see all those beautiful places I have always dreamt of. Anyway, we don't live to work, we work to live. The ancient Romans would even say "Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse". Still, I am afraid, that after two years vacation, I will loose my only source of income. I will have more years to live when I come back and I will need to earn money afterwards.
I think I have already made my decision - but what do you guys think - should I take two years leave and fulfill my dream or should I rather stay and work, because I may not repeat my success as a freelancer.

[Edited at 2005-07-03 07:47]
Collapse

cfdrtg
cfdrtg
Local time: 17:39
English to German
+ ...
Ask yourself what it is worth Jul 3, 2005

Questions you might ask yourself are:

Do I get experience from it and is it spendable in other professional contexts?
Do I place the base for future personal growth?
Is it worth sacrificing some years in order to have better opportunities later?
What kind to chances do I get to gather this kind of experience elsewhere?
Is this actually what I want to do? Do I want to do it?
What are the career chances I am looking for and does this project go in thi
... See more
Questions you might ask yourself are:

Do I get experience from it and is it spendable in other professional contexts?
Do I place the base for future personal growth?
Is it worth sacrificing some years in order to have better opportunities later?
What kind to chances do I get to gather this kind of experience elsewhere?
Is this actually what I want to do? Do I want to do it?
What are the career chances I am looking for and does this project go in this direction, is it a tool to achieve your personal objectives?
What is it worth investing a lot of money in my own company forsaking a dream of further schooling?

I do not agree with Pablo "Forget about school. Going back to school at 25 implies stagnation and cocooning." I went back to school at 40 and am currently preparing to graduate from university after 3 years sharp, planning to go on and get a Master. It has opened my mind and given me the gift of precious friends.
However, I would probably not have enjoyed it so much without my professional background, lots of different jobs over the years in different areas and always learning some new skill. Everything I learned was much more real for me, because I had done or seen it firsthand. And it has definitely helped me to develop further and to get nearer to my next aim.

It is a difficult decision to make and I don't think it can be solved by ratio only; try the different options on, like a glove or a shoe, and try to figure out what the consequences might be and then decide with your heart.

Lots of luck! And let us know...
Daniela
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Go for it ! Jul 3, 2005

Joanna R¹czka wrote:

II have just got a proposal to circumnavigate the world on a sailing boat. It's always been the **dream of my life**. But it'll take two years. success as a freelancer.

Go to the world tour in a boat, you will always regret it, even years later, mostly years later.

You can always find new clients, start a business again but you will not have this opportunity, I mean at your age when you are still fit to do it.

Anyway, it will not be completely from scratch, these clients know you already. You could inform them about it before you go.

When you will die, what will you remember, your clients or the world trip ?

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
English to Spanish
Cruising blues and their cure Jul 3, 2005

Joanna R¹czka wrote:

I have just got a proposal to circumnavigate the world on a sailing boat. It's always been the dream of my life. But it'll take two years.

Hello Joanna.

You may like this:

http://www.moq.org/forum/Pirsig/cruisingblues.html

Regards.

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
English to Spanish
25 is not 40 Jul 3, 2005

Daniela Gardini wrote:
I do not agree with Pablo "Forget about school. Going back to school at 25 implies stagnation and cocooning." I went back to school at 40 and am currently preparing to graduate from university after 3 years sharp, planning to go on and get a Master. It has opened my mind and given me the gift of precious friends.

Hello Daniela.

Going to school at 40 might indicate that you are already in your chosen path, and you need the capabilities and credibility a degree will provide in order to boost your professional development. If you know what you are doing or at least why you are doing it --likely at 40-- you have pondered the benefits of a degree and decided it is worthy.

But at 25 that is not likely.

Cristina Mazzucchelli
Cristina Mazzucchelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why not? Jul 4, 2005

Pablo Roufogalis wrote:

Going to school at 40 might indicate that you are already in your chosen path, and you need the capabilities and credibility a degree will provide in order to boost your professional development. If you know what you are doing or at least why you are doing it --likely at 40-- you have pondered the benefits of a degree and decided it is worthy.

What I know is I want to be a translator (with its pros and cons).
This is one of my certainities, at least for now.
And I still need a lot of practice to achieve the standard I had in mind and plus I still want to master my English a lot. And improve the other languages I know and I could use to work. What I know is that some of the skills you need you must learn "on the field", while working, but some other skills you can learn only at school.
Moreover, if the place where you work(& live) -or will work (& live)- (that therefore is supposed to give you the aforementioned skills) is not giving you anything...

Besides, I love to go to school. Just for the reasons Daniela listed.

And it's not like I'm not gonna translate anymore during the year I am planning to go back to Uni...the plan isto attend a specialization Master and starting freelancing a bit and then go on and try to make translation my main occupation...

thanks again to everybody...you're giving me a big help!

Cristina Mazzucchelli
Cristina Mazzucchelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Decision Jul 27, 2005

Hi everybody,
almost a month after I first posted this thread and after having received a lot of answers and a lot support from you, I wanted to tell you that I finally made my decision and yesterday night I bought the ticket to go to London.

I am gonna leave at the end of August and I am sooooo excited. I am so much looking forward to it!

I just wanted to thank you all, and..."see" you in (or from!) London, then!

See more
Hi everybody,
almost a month after I first posted this thread and after having received a lot of answers and a lot support from you, I wanted to tell you that I finally made my decision and yesterday night I bought the ticket to go to London.

I am gonna leave at the end of August and I am sooooo excited. I am so much looking forward to it!

I just wanted to thank you all, and..."see" you in (or from!) London, then!

Yours,
Cristina
Collapse

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
25 is not 40 Jul 27, 2005

I totally disagree with your statement. The fact that someone who is 25 does not think like someone who is 25 is nonsense. I am 26 and know that I need to go to graduate school in order to better my career opportunities - translation is a very broad career path.
But I've also been lucky enough to acquire, so far in my life, an equal balance of work and study, and have always remained focused on my goal. A 40-year-old friend of mine still has no idea what career he wants and is back at uni
... See more
I totally disagree with your statement. The fact that someone who is 25 does not think like someone who is 25 is nonsense. I am 26 and know that I need to go to graduate school in order to better my career opportunities - translation is a very broad career path.
But I've also been lucky enough to acquire, so far in my life, an equal balance of work and study, and have always remained focused on my goal. A 40-year-old friend of mine still has no idea what career he wants and is back at university. You can't generalise.

Pablo Roufogalis wrote:

Daniela Gardini wrote:

Hello Daniela.

Collapse

Karine J.
Karine J.
French to German
+ ...
No risk, no fun! Jul 29, 2005

I know, a very simple reply but the most suitable in your case.
You´re young and I´ll try if I were you.
Think about people who cannot speak many languages, they´ll laugh about such choices!
Think about being 40 and having a family.....you cannot make such experience as far as other people are involded.

My own experience is that it is easier to try and find out that it was not the right choice as not trying and always have regrets not having try. Believe me,
... See more
I know, a very simple reply but the most suitable in your case.
You´re young and I´ll try if I were you.
Think about people who cannot speak many languages, they´ll laugh about such choices!
Think about being 40 and having a family.....you cannot make such experience as far as other people are involded.

My own experience is that it is easier to try and find out that it was not the right choice as not trying and always have regrets not having try. Believe me, if I were in your schoes I´ll book my flight immediately!!

Good luck in the way you´ll choose anyway
Collapse

Marie Madeleine Glück
Marie Madeleine Glück  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
LIFE LONG DECISION Jul 30, 2005

Dear friends,

I will tell you my "moving story". I had a steady job in Jersey City, New Jersey 13 years ago. I decided to follow my husband to Vienna, Austria. It costs enough money and emotions to move from one place to the next.

If working is important to you then you must consider where you will get a satisfying job. For some people it´s very important to have a job, even if money is not the issue.

What about the college education, it´s quite a ch
... See more
Dear friends,

I will tell you my "moving story". I had a steady job in Jersey City, New Jersey 13 years ago. I decided to follow my husband to Vienna, Austria. It costs enough money and emotions to move from one place to the next.

If working is important to you then you must consider where you will get a satisfying job. For some people it´s very important to have a job, even if money is not the issue.

What about the college education, it´s quite a challenge to find a decent job without a degree these days. All that should be considered before one reaches the age of 30, marriage and children. You can half-way believe me because I am 51. I remember what I was doing when I was 25. I was working very hard, sometimes I had 2 jobs.

Just think about plan B if plan A doesn´t work out.

A bientôt
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confronting with major choices in life

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »