Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 03:46
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
- Jul 30, 2005

I once accepted a work from a women NGO (feminist one), only to discover later that they were about to use the translation to suck up to a (very) right-wing minister.

Marie Madeleine Glück
Marie Madeleine Glück  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
FREELANCE = FREEDOM TO REFUSE TRANSLATION Jul 30, 2005

As a freelance I have the right to refuse. I don´t send bid on such project. I translated war atrocities for the purpose of helping the suffering population not for entertainment. All of the other stuffs you mentioned I would also refuse, and kindly ask the client to look for someone else who enjoy translating such thing. Even if I desperately need money I would refuse.

Last nicht I refuse a fire arm project.

I have refused gambling projects.

I would
... See more
As a freelance I have the right to refuse. I don´t send bid on such project. I translated war atrocities for the purpose of helping the suffering population not for entertainment. All of the other stuffs you mentioned I would also refuse, and kindly ask the client to look for someone else who enjoy translating such thing. Even if I desperately need money I would refuse.

Last nicht I refuse a fire arm project.

I have refused gambling projects.

I would refuse anything I consider morally, religiously, etc... based on my understanding of thing questionably.

One agency promised me a job three days before deadline and sent it 18 hours before deadline. Upon requesting for an extension, she suggested that I share it with another translator, I refused. I consider this also a moral issue. If she had it 3 days before why send it 18 hours before? I am not a modern slave. If I accept it she will never learn to be honest with me and others. I was glued to my email the whole time waiting to receive the document. (4,000 words semi-technical EN-DE). I also knew I could not furnish a perfect translation in such a short time.

I ENJOY translating human rights, women rights, children rights, supporting education, bible litteratures, cooking, electronics, softwares. I only want to translate things that will improve the quality of life.....
Collapse

Alison Kennedy
Alison Kennedy
Italian to English
+ ...
Turned down this job Aug 13, 2005

The only job I have turned down was a text to be published by the Scientology Church on how to "free yourself from alcoholism".
I refused the job on moral grounds and regarded the text as VERY DANGEROUS.

Alison

Julie Allison
Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Steer well clear. Nov 3, 2005

I can only reiterate what I have advised others on other topics of dealing with clients or agencies. Anything at all you are not 100% happy with - just steer well clear of it.

However, as to leaving the client in the lurch, didn't you know what the text was going to be about before you agreed to it? How do you know if it's something you're competent to do if you don't know the context? Maybe I missed something.

[Edited at 2005-11-03 09:09]

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Julie Nov 3, 2005

Julie Allison wrote:

However, as to leaving the client in the lurch, didn't you know what the text was going to be about before you agreed to it? How do you know if it's something you're competent to do if you don't know the context?[Edited at 2005-11-03 09:09]

The customer knows me well enough to know what I can and cannot do and this was not a problem in terms of content. She didn't know my moral position on such matters, though.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Refusing translations on moral grounds

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »