'High-level' language reviews?
Thread poster: Fred Lessing
Fred Lessing
Fred Lessing
English to Portuguese
Jul 29, 2005

A client is asking me to perform a rather strange task: "(...) high-level proofread to ensure the localized text has correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation." For texts around 4000 words, they want to pay 1 hour. Has anyone ever heard of stufff like this? How can anyone read a text at a 'high level'? (Checking grammar implies reading the whole text...)

Fred

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 09:34
English
I think he means editing Jul 29, 2005

"ensure the localized text has correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation"

There are various levels of editing - the first two only lightly change the text.

PROOFREADING involves the identification and correction of typographical errors, punctuation errors, misspellings, and formatting inconsistencies. It may also mean comparing two documents for uniformity.

COPYEDITING covers the same areas, but may include grammar, word usage, capitalization, word breaks,
... See more
"ensure the localized text has correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation"

There are various levels of editing - the first two only lightly change the text.

PROOFREADING involves the identification and correction of typographical errors, punctuation errors, misspellings, and formatting inconsistencies. It may also mean comparing two documents for uniformity.

COPYEDITING covers the same areas, but may include grammar, word usage, capitalization, word breaks, tone, and format.

This one can mean rewriting, rearranging and otherwise hacking on the text.

SUBSTANTIVE EDITING (moderate to heavy) seeks to achieve clarity of subject, logic, and consistency. Confusing and awkward writing may be reworked. Sentences are analyzed for structure/syntax. Long sentences may be enumerated or separated. Proofreading, copyediting and substantive editing often occur simultaneously.

"For texts around 4000 words, they want to pay 1 hour." ... insist on seeing the texts BEFORE you commit to a price. One hour may be OK for a good translation. but you can spend several hours for the same number of words in a poorly done translation.
Collapse

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:34
Member (2002)
English to German
Quite common Jul 29, 2005

What they actually mean is: "Please assume the responsibility for this text by accepting this assignment without asking for a decent remuneration."

It's your choice and I think it is very easy ("No, thank you")

Take care

Andy

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 17:34
English to Danish
That's why I charge xx Euro per word Jul 30, 2005

I never accept hour rates for proofreading, I always charge per word in the text to be proofread.
This way I don't risk spending 3-4 hours, when the client is only paying for 1 hour.

Of course, you should always have a look over the translation first to make sure if this is a good translation or not.
Poor translations may take forever to correct, and you will be responsible for delivering a decent job.

In other words: I would not accept this job "as is", but
... See more
I never accept hour rates for proofreading, I always charge per word in the text to be proofread.
This way I don't risk spending 3-4 hours, when the client is only paying for 1 hour.

Of course, you should always have a look over the translation first to make sure if this is a good translation or not.
Poor translations may take forever to correct, and you will be responsible for delivering a decent job.

In other words: I would not accept this job "as is", but ask for more hours to complete it or for a rate per word.

Have a nice weekend.
Collapse

vorloff
vorloff
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Maybe... Jul 30, 2005

they are just asking for your opinion on the text?? Is that possible at all, as in a review to know how well this person is translating.

If not, and they actually expect you to correct the text, I would not accept a fee of one hour for 4,000 words, since almost certainly, it will take you longer than that. If so, you should ask them to send you the text and then agree on a per word rate, or just quote them your hourly rate to revise the text to their standards.

Best of
... See more
they are just asking for your opinion on the text?? Is that possible at all, as in a review to know how well this person is translating.

If not, and they actually expect you to correct the text, I would not accept a fee of one hour for 4,000 words, since almost certainly, it will take you longer than that. If so, you should ask them to send you the text and then agree on a per word rate, or just quote them your hourly rate to revise the text to their standards.

Best of luck,

Vera

PCovs wrote:

In other words: I would not accept this job "as is", but ask for more hours to complete it or for a rate per word.

Have a nice weekend.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'High-level' language reviews?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »