Thread poster: Ines Burrell
Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:12
English to Polish
+ ...
Another money-related trick Oct 15, 2005

Having a look at my account is quite depressing and works the other way round for me. Instead, I keep in mind how much I MUST earn a day - anything beyond is a treat. And I keep checking now and then (let's say every two pages or every hour) where I am in financial terms. My thinking is sthg like "Good girl, another few bucks and you're free" or "Sorry, mate, speed up or you literally can't afford visiting the friend in the evening", or "Great, today's load finished. Do I want to earn a bit extr... See more
Having a look at my account is quite depressing and works the other way round for me. Instead, I keep in mind how much I MUST earn a day - anything beyond is a treat. And I keep checking now and then (let's say every two pages or every hour) where I am in financial terms. My thinking is sthg like "Good girl, another few bucks and you're free" or "Sorry, mate, speed up or you literally can't afford visiting the friend in the evening", or "Great, today's load finished. Do I want to earn a bit extra today or not?" And I try to think in terms of how much ($$$) I've achieved rather than how much lies ahead. Very motivating.Collapse

Sylvie Pelissier
Sylvie Pelissier  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to French
It happens Oct 15, 2005

Verobrun wrote:

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

And now....get down to work, that's an order!

That's it! And you too, Verónica!

Don't worry, it happens from time to time.

Verónica

Next time I plan to take my laptop to the National Library, a calm and industrious atmosphere really helps !

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just do a paragraph Oct 16, 2005

Sit down to translate just one paragraph. You might be surprised what you actually end up doing.

Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:12
German to English
What works for me... Oct 18, 2005

is that sometimes, when I'm overworked or are working on a bigger project and just CAN'T stand looking at it anymore, that's when I play around on the computer.

When I notice that, I make myself get up for a time (1/2 to 1hour usually does it for me) and do something totally different (household chores, sit outside, read, nap, play with kid, whatever) and then am strict with myself to get back on there and do NOTHING BUT what I'm really supposed to do...

Usually works.<
... See more
is that sometimes, when I'm overworked or are working on a bigger project and just CAN'T stand looking at it anymore, that's when I play around on the computer.

When I notice that, I make myself get up for a time (1/2 to 1hour usually does it for me) and do something totally different (household chores, sit outside, read, nap, play with kid, whatever) and then am strict with myself to get back on there and do NOTHING BUT what I'm really supposed to do...

Usually works.

Heike
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:12
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Self-hypnosis anyone? Oct 25, 2005

I came to this thread exactly because I'm suffering from the same condition: big project with fast-approaching deadline, zero motivation to get to work, so I was browsing the forums.

I have wasted so much time and procrastinated so much, that now I'm even considering self-hypnosis to improve my focus (something I found while web-browsing when I should have been working).

Anyway, I think I'll have to go with the Nike philosophy and... Just Do It!

Thanks ev
... See more
I came to this thread exactly because I'm suffering from the same condition: big project with fast-approaching deadline, zero motivation to get to work, so I was browsing the forums.

I have wasted so much time and procrastinated so much, that now I'm even considering self-hypnosis to improve my focus (something I found while web-browsing when I should have been working).

Anyway, I think I'll have to go with the Nike philosophy and... Just Do It!

Thanks everyone for some good solid advice and a good laugh or two!

-Nora
Collapse

Angeline PhD
Angeline PhD  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
So am I Oct 28, 2005

Stephen Rifkind wrote:

My daughter taught me a good solution to motivating oneself to finish long and boring, but profitable projects: Repeat the mantra of how much money it will earn and what you are going to do with it. I had to work all during Pesach vacation, which did not make my small daughter too happy. I told her that we are going to Eilat [a Red Sea resort] on this project. Her whole attitude changed. She said, "Work hard and let me know when we are going." Something like "a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine goes down" of yore.

I do the same thing like your daughter's solution.It is a good idea.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when you feel lazy

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »