Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:52
Member (2004)
English to French
Mar 12, 2006

Hi,
I just got a weird phone call from a guy called Mohammed who said he had an urgent 600 words translation for me. He talked like he was hundreds miles away and running, I could barely place a word.

I still don't know which agency he's working for. He seemed to already have my email address, because he said he'd send the document to me. End of the conversation.

Weird, huh?

Nina

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
It was an agency after all Mar 12, 2006

It's registered on the BB, but it's not rated. Still, the document seems official enough and it's short, so I'll give it a go.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:52
Member (2003)
German to French
On Sunday? Mar 12, 2006

Hi Nina,

I know you're in a different time zone, but isn't it Sunday in Canada too?
I'd never pick up the phone on a Sunday, even if I was working.

Sylvain

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
My husband picked up the phone Mar 12, 2006

It's our residential line and I never get work related phone calls, all is done by email.
Still, it's short and I agreed to do it.

Nina

Francisco Bolaños
Francisco Bolaños  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Sunmondays..." Mar 12, 2006

Well... some weeks I can´t tell the difference between Sundays and Mondays... (luckily not today... as my only job is taking care of my injured cat).
Perhaps this Mohamed called you because he needed the text translated by Monday, could it be?
Nice weekend, mates...

Francisco

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
could be this one! Mar 12, 2006

a few months ago, i received a mail - he found me through teh database - and offered me to translate something small (i think it was about the same quantity), for an organisation in UK... i did it, delivered on time... received receipt confirmation and sentence "yeah, you will be paid"

than waited, waited, waited... days, weeks... no reply, and nothing else...

some 2-3 months later i sent him a mail asking for the payment (we are not talking about a lot of money, but..
... See more
a few months ago, i received a mail - he found me through teh database - and offered me to translate something small (i think it was about the same quantity), for an organisation in UK... i did it, delivered on time... received receipt confirmation and sentence "yeah, you will be paid"

than waited, waited, waited... days, weeks... no reply, and nothing else...

some 2-3 months later i sent him a mail asking for the payment (we are not talking about a lot of money, but...) then i got conditioned to do some more work before he paid anything. i refused and received a rather violent mail from him. so, i am not going to get paid, but i have not done any more work for him!

his name was mohamed khalifa, uk language service
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Test translation Mar 12, 2006

It was a test translation and it's from an agency in the US.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 17:52
English to French
+ ...
Huh? Mar 12, 2006

A test translation on a Sunday? Now, that's a new one on me. I agree with Francisco that a client might call you on a Sunday because he needs something by Monday, but a test for crying out loud!

Was he rehearsing his April 1st routine, or what?

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
A 600 words test translation? Mar 12, 2006

And on Sunday... that's pushing it a bit, isn't it?

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I guess you are right Mar 12, 2006

A 600 word test translation is a bit weird. At least, it's paid. I know for a fact it's not a translation, as it's a press release dating from November. But I'll mention that to them, that a test translation that long is indeed not normal.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Paid in advance? Mar 13, 2006

OTherwise, I would be very suspicious...

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
pretty suspicious Mar 13, 2006

Urgent TEST translation on Sunday? No BB record? Sounds VERY suspicious to me. As Rosa Maria suggests, you might want to ask for the payment in advance. I know I would!

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:52
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Feasible Mar 20, 2006

I can't see why an agency wouldn't have a test translation to carry out over the weekend. Furthermore, I often carry out translations of in XS of 600 words that are test translations - a couple of sentences often doesn't suffice to test style, accuracy, ability to work to deadlines etc (needless to say that they are paid).

As for the running thing, two scenarios come to mind:

1) Big US corporate boss image from the movies, where business is conducted even when on the
... See more
I can't see why an agency wouldn't have a test translation to carry out over the weekend. Furthermore, I often carry out translations of in XS of 600 words that are test translations - a couple of sentences often doesn't suffice to test style, accuracy, ability to work to deadlines etc (needless to say that they are paid).

As for the running thing, two scenarios come to mind:

1) Big US corporate boss image from the movies, where business is conducted even when on the treadmill...

2) Maybe he was taking the concept of working to tight deadlines a bit far and was making a 'Carl Lewis-like' dash to the fax machine, whilst organising a translator...

I'm just trying to be positive in the hope that you get paid.

Best of luck,
Huw
Collapse

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:52
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Third scenario Mar 20, 2006

Another one has just come to mind:

3) Maybe he is asthmatic?

It may be fairly amusing to dedicate an entire forum to trying to suss out this running thing. It is most bizarre...

Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Philippines
Local time: 08:52
Member (2007)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
nice one Aug 8, 2007

Huw Watkins wrote:

Another one has just come to mind:

3) Maybe he is asthmatic?

It may be fairly amusing to dedicate an entire forum to trying to suss out this running thing. It is most bizarre...

I laughed my heart out on this comment It made my write my first post in this forum.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I got a weird phone call

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »