Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:36
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
My main concern would be the lack of being able to save your work Jun 9, 2006

Hi Annika.

As Nicolette pointed out, this sounds like a tool where you would have no copy of the translation to keep for yourself. This is unacceptable for a number of reasons. Firstly, you need to keep evidence of your business activities; secondly, you cannot guarantee quality if you cannot even proofread it on paper. Thirdly, you are the creator of the translation, and should be entitled to create a TM with it, for your future use.

Astrid

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Add something Jun 9, 2006

You don't have to sign a contract handed to you on a platter. In view of their refusal to provide you sufficient information on this "tool", you can ADD your own provision to the contract to the effect that you will try the "tool" initially for a period of let's say 3 days on a test basis, and if you find you cannot work with it productively, you may cancel the contract.

They can either accept or reject it, and you can also act accordingly.

Michaela Sommer
Michaela Sommer  Identity Verified
English to German
Same boat... Jun 10, 2006

AnnikaLight wrote:

I was offered to work on a short-term project (six weeks) for a relatively big, well-known company.

What would you do??

Thanks,

A.

Hi Annika,

By the sounds of it I've been approached by the same company and I am tempted to sign the contract.

Reading the various comments and experiences other translators have had with similar projects was extremely helpful and I have just sent off a few questions to the project manager on that basis.

If I find her answers reassuring, I will sign the contract, partly because of the experience. The pay *is* crap, but on the other hand it is a regular income for about 6 weeks, and the nature of the texts to be translated is very easy and quite enjoyable (provided the technology works!). The real downside of it for me though is that I may lose the flexibility of my working hours. You have to indicate the hours you are available to work on a timesheet, and I wonder how strictly I have to stick to this. This could turn out be the reason for me not signing the contract, but we'll see.

Let me know what you have decided, I'd like to hear from you!

Best wishes,

Michaela

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 17:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Add something to the contract Jun 10, 2006

I'm just now reading this thread and have been thinking of making this suggestion, but Henry beat me to it. He's absolutely right and it's excellent advice.

Regarding "For God's sake": For the third time this week in these forums, I would like to mention that we all use and understand words differently, and very few of us can express ourselves perfectly in our second (or third, or fourth, etc.) language. Since English, the language of most ProZ forums (or "fora"), is *not* the nativ
... See more
I'm just now reading this thread and have been thinking of making this suggestion, but Henry beat me to it. He's absolutely right and it's excellent advice.

Regarding "For God's sake": For the third time this week in these forums, I would like to mention that we all use and understand words differently, and very few of us can express ourselves perfectly in our second (or third, or fourth, etc.) language. Since English, the language of most ProZ forums (or "fora"), is *not* the native tongue of many (most?) contributors, something that sounds rude may not have been intended that way.

On the other hand, some people actually are rude! But I suggest giving everybody the benefit of the doubt and sticking to the topic.

[Edited at 2006-06-10 16:58]
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
English to Spanish
I am with Jane and Henry Jun 10, 2006

Excellent suggestion by Henry. And Jane is absolutely right.

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Opinion valid or not vs reality Jun 11, 2006

Hi Annika,

I have to agree with "God's sake" opinion.

- Your client is a very well known company. So they have reputation

- You client is relatively large. So they shuld not have any financial trouble.

- They have equipped enough to develop or have it developped a special tool that is not available for public. The reasoning of this development or invesment saying that it is beneficial, otherwise they would stop using that tool.
... See more
Hi Annika,

- They have equipped enough to develop or have it developped a special tool that is not available for public. The reasoning of this development or invesment saying that it is beneficial, otherwise they would stop using that tool.

- They have many employees who could access from remote and use the very same tool.

- After all you do not accept opinions.

My bottom line naive qusetions here are: what is it that we are discussig? what is it that you are asking?

Good luck!

N. Yigit

[Edited at 2006-06-11 07:18]
Collapse

Annika Neudecker
Annika Neudecker  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Beating a dead horse... Jun 11, 2006

Nizamettin Yigit wrote:

Hi Annika,

Hi Nizamettin,

Thank you for your response. No problem. I never said that I didn't "agree with" or didn't "like" the "For God's sake" opinion. It was the way that opinion was expressed that I disliked. But I'm sure I've made that clear in my previous posts.

Nizamettin Yigit wrote:

- They have many employees who could access from remote and use the very same tool.

Those are all good points. Thanks. Though I have worked for big, well-known companies whose in-house tools didn't work as smoothly as they should and caused a lot of trouble. Obviously, there are translators who mind and those who don't mind the (potential) "hassle"...

Nizamettin Yigit wrote:
- After all you do not accept opinions.

Feel free to believe that - it is, after all, your opinion. Gotta accept that. I did accept any and all responses and OPINIONS until I came upon the "response that causes all the unnecessary trouble." It was hard for me to take Jesús's response (and thus his opinion) seriously because I felt he didn't take my question seriously in the first place. But I've explained all that previously...

Nizamettin Yigit wrote:My bottom line naive qusetions here are: what is it that we are discussig? what is it that you are asking?

"Would you sign?" is what I asked two days ago. Meanwhile, I've received responses and (different!) opinions that are helpful. Meanwhile, I've explained why I didn't think Jesús's reply was helpful (Even though he's not a native English speaker - as someone here pointed out - I just presumed that an English-Spanish translator would know the nuances of the English language well enough to know what statements may come across as rude). Meanwhile, I've even responded to Jesús's answer. Meanwhile, I've decided not to sign (and stated that decision here as well.)

"Would you sign?" is what I asked. That's what we have been discussing - and obviously are still discussing. Though I don't know why. We're kind of beating a dead horse now.

I've not asked anything at all in the last 48 hours, so I'm not sure why you are asking me, "What is it that you are asking?"

From my end, it's all good and all clear.

Nizamettin Yigit wrote:
Good luck!

Thanks - also for your good points above

A.

PS: Henry and Jane - thanks for your replies. You're right... I could have always added something to the contract. I don't just have to accept what's handed to me on a platter. I guess, in the end, this job offer wasn't important enough to me to suggest any contract add-ons...

Astrid - thanks for your input! I just saw your response!!

Michaela - I sent you an e-mail through ProZ

[Edited at 2006-06-11 13:55]

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:36
Spanish to English
Just want to say Jun 12, 2006

I think you were right in turning down this job, or is it just that I am hopeless with these tools. For a start, I like to be able to go back and change my mind about how I translated something

And really it was unnecessary to address you with a For God's sake and no translator can use ignorance as an excuse for the use of strong language, that just does not rub.

Good luck, the rates were so lousy that I'm sure you will earn much more by not having signed that contrac
... See more
I think you were right in turning down this job, or is it just that I am hopeless with these tools. For a start, I like to be able to go back and change my mind about how I translated something

And really it was unnecessary to address you with a For God's sake and no translator can use ignorance as an excuse for the use of strong language, that just does not rub.

Good luck, the rates were so lousy that I'm sure you will earn much more by not having signed that contract.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
great to know Astrid has a very legitimate argument Jun 12, 2006

when you cannot save your work, you have no proof of the quality you are delivering. In case of difficulties, how would you protect your interests. funny I did not think of this. Thank you astrid. Best Brandis

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I think the principle should always be the same Jun 12, 2006

Don't sign a contract if you don't know exactly what is in it and/or if you will be able to do what the client wants. Everything else would be an error. But always stay friendly and offer to give it a try.

Btw, $ 20 is not much. Looks like if you're hired to be bilingual typist, endlessly scrolling down and opening and closing hundreds of windows. The real estate vendors' kind of thing.
I hope you'll tell me later that I've been wrong.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you sign?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »