Thread poster: Annika Neudecker
Annika Neudecker
Annika Neudecker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:42
English to German
Jun 9, 2006

Hi ProZians

I was offered to work on a short-term project (six weeks) for a relatively big, well-known company.

They use an "internal tool" that I would have to use to enter my translations into their database. I asked them to send me a link and let me see how this "tool" works and is set up before I sign the contract. This is the answer I received:

"You can only have access to the tool once
... See more
Hi ProZians

I was offered to work on a short-term project (six weeks) for a relatively big, well-known company.

They use an "internal tool" that I would have to use to enter my translations into their database. I asked them to send me a link and let me see how this "tool" works and is set up before I sign the contract. This is the answer I received:

"You can only have access to the tool once you sign the agreement and you are officially hired by XX. You need a username and password to access the tool. All employees at XX can work from home and get access to the tool from any kind of fast connection (DSL, ADSL, Cable, etc.) and have no problems at all. You don’t need to install any kind of software, our tool is web based and it only goes into your browser."

Considering that it's web-based (and I don't have to install anything), it sounds "problem-free". However, I'm hesitant to sign a contract that says I'm supposed to work with a "tool" that I haven't even laid eyes on. Even if I don't have to download anything, there might be other problems that I'm not aware of right now....

What would you do??

Thanks,

A.
Collapse

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask them? Jun 9, 2006

Hi!

I would first of all ask what kind of tool it is. Once I was asked to do something very similar, under like circumstances, and all they wanted me to do was to do the translation in a Word-like application directly in their WebSite.

Tell them your concerns, and ask them what kind of tool it is. I am quite certain they will understand your concerns and tell you.

Good luck, and enjoy this project!

Rufino

Fred Lessing
Fred Lessing
English to Portuguese
Hourly rates? Jun 9, 2006

Annika,

Presumably you will be paid based on an hourly rate, right? I work like that all the time, and usually I am provided with a training course (for which they pay me). Many clients establish some kind of productivity rate that they expect you to adhere to, and that needs to be discussed and possibly adjusted after some practical experience with the tool.

All of those clients always require me to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement before using their tool.

... See more
Annika,

Presumably you will be paid based on an hourly rate, right? I work like that all the time, and usually I am provided with a training course (for which they pay me). Many clients establish some kind of productivity rate that they expect you to adhere to, and that needs to be discussed and possibly adjusted after some practical experience with the tool.

All of those clients always require me to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement before using their tool.

Fred
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:42
German to English
Could be FTP access to their database Jun 9, 2006

This "tool" might be simply a means to access their database for downloading/uploading files. In that case, it's reasonable not to give you access until you've signed an agreement.

On the other hand, it could be some awkward mechanism for actually translating a document and a nightmare to use.

You might wish to inquire whether you would use this "tool" actually to translate the documents or merely to send them the translations.

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
LogoPort? Jun 9, 2006

Sounds like it could be LogoPort. If so, you don't need to install nothing. You need to sign the contract first to get access to the TM server. If you know Trados, you can handle LogoPort as well and you don't need any special introduction.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I didn´t go for this contract Jun 9, 2006

I know atleast from the description about 4 companies trying an attempt, about 3 years I went with them, but things didn´t go well with their web tool and we quit, while loss being mine. Fortunately I did that on the shortest time frame 1 week and immediately payable and I take over the account clearance, which means I needed payment on their accounting tool within 24 hours of submission that I can count on. What came of this was that neither the tool nor the accounting module were going well, ... See more
I know atleast from the description about 4 companies trying an attempt, about 3 years I went with them, but things didn´t go well with their web tool and we quit, while loss being mine. Fortunately I did that on the shortest time frame 1 week and immediately payable and I take over the account clearance, which means I needed payment on their accounting tool within 24 hours of submission that I can count on. What came of this was that neither the tool nor the accounting module were going well, and the whole company was running around, many people, atleast that was my impression those days. Then I quit these solutions. That experiment was good, but I don´t think I shall that ever agian. This attempt is not to discourage you, go for your choice, like many would do. Once you go for it, whether it works or not you are in it. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-06-09 11:57]
Collapse

Annika Neudecker
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I did ask... Jun 9, 2006

Hi Rufino,

Thanks for your reply.

I did ask them. I said I needed to know what their tool "looks like" and how it's set up.

I also told them about my concerns (signing a job that has me working with an "unknown tool".)

That's when I got the response I posted above....

Annika Neudecker
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not encouraging.... Jun 9, 2006

Hi Brandis,

I appreciate your response. Your experience doesn't sound encouraging....

And I'm suspicious by nature. I hate signing on the dotted line without being 100% certain what I'm agreeing to...

Thanks for your input!

Annika Neudecker
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Hourly rate - yes. Training course not mentioned... Jun 9, 2006

Fred Lessing wrote:

Presumably you will be paid based on an hourly rate, right? I work like that all the time, and usually I am provided with a training course (for which they pay me).
Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your response Yes, it would be an hourly rate (USD 20.00). And no... a training course (let alone one I will be paid for) wasn't mentioned....

Annika Neudecker
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Good ideas, Kevin! Jun 9, 2006

Kevin Fulton wrote:

This "tool" might be simply a means to access their database for downloading/uploading files. In that case, it's reasonable not to give you access until you've signed an agreement.

Good thought, Kevin. However, even if it's an FTP account, they could set up a guest account/password.... and delete both after I've had access.

Kevin Fulton wrote: On the other hand, it could be some awkward mechanism for actually translating a document and a nightmare to use.

Exactly!

Kevin Fulton wrote:You might wish to inquire whether you would use this "tool" actually to translate the documents or merely to send them the translations.

That's a good idea! Thanks!

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Ask your client Jun 9, 2006

For some tools you need a training and then you are expected to translate directly sentence by sentence in a database (that is, you keep no copy for yourself), other tools are very simple to use: you only have to copy your translation directly from Word into the website. Ask your client if you can do a small translation with this tool before signing the contract.

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
For god's sake......sign the agreement and will see the tool.... Jun 9, 2006

Sorry to be so straightforward but there is no need to be so pessimistic.........just sign the agreement and will see the tool.....when you see the tool if you don't like it or feel can't work with it...let them know so....
We are here to make communication better not to create obstacles......
Sorry.
Good luck.

[Edited at 2006-06-09 14:08]

Annika Neudecker
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
For God's sake.... Jun 9, 2006

... if you are unable to take my question seriously, please refrain from responding ....

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Would you sign? Jun 9, 2006

AnnikaLight wrote:
Yes, it would be an hourly rate (USD 20.00).

Less than 16 euro per hour? Before expenses? Before tax, health insurance and pensions premiums?

Hm.

Marc

Shelley Steinhorst
Shelley Steinhorst
Germany
German to English
For god's sake had a valid opinion too Jun 9, 2006

AnnikaLight wrote:

... if you are unable to take my question seriously, please refrain from responding ....

you got lots of different feedback, and For god's sake took time to give a unique opinion - I think if you want lots of help for free, you should give respect to all the different types of answers you get. I enjoyed reading 'for god's sakes opinion' and thought your response to him was unfair - please remember there are other people reading these comments besides you, who might benefit from a different perspective.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you sign?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »