outsourcer requesting social security document copy
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 13:56
English to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2006

Hi! all, this happened a few minutes ago, I don´t find that right. How do you find this. Would you or wouldn´t you go along, the project details said something about 5 usd and 50 days payment, as though there is some 5 / 50 similarity of the numbers. I also did put a few questons back. Best Brandis

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
Asking for the SSN in the US is not unusual Jun 10, 2006

Hi Brandis,

Concerning the first part of your message, if the outsourcer is based in the US, it is not unusual for them to ask for the Social security number (SSN), as it is the number most independent professionals use to file their taxes. However, since I assume you are not a US citizen, you can tell the prospective client you do not have a SSN, and he is supposed to request you to fill a short form for such purpose. That should be it, and I do not think there is anything wrong o
... See more
Hi Brandis,

Concerning the first part of your message, if the outsourcer is based in the US, it is not unusual for them to ask for the Social security number (SSN), as it is the number most independent professionals use to file their taxes. However, since I assume you are not a US citizen, you can tell the prospective client you do not have a SSN, and he is supposed to request you to fill a short form for such purpose. That should be it, and I do not think there is anything wrong or suspicious.

As for the second part of your message "the project details said something about 5 usd and 50 days payment, as though there is some 5 / 50 similarity of the numbers.", I do not really understand what you are referring to, so I do not think I can provide any insight.

Good luck!
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is certainly not a U.S Outsourcer Jun 10, 2006

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

Hi Brandis,

Concerning the first part of your message, if the outsourcer is based in the US, it is not unusual for them to ask for the Social security number (SSN), as it is the number most independent professionals use to file their taxes. However, since I assume you are not a US citizen, you can tell the prospective client you do not have a SSN, and he is supposed to request you to fill a short form for such purpose. That should be it, and I do not think there is anything wrong or suspicious.

As for the second part of your message "the project details said something about 5 usd and 50 days payment, as though there is some 5 / 50 similarity of the numbers.", I do not really understand what you are referring to, so I do not think I can provide any insight.

Good luck!
Hi! Thank you first of all, this one not from the US and not from Europe. There were also no forms, he / she just wants a copy. I don´t find that normal. I very well have SSN. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-06-10 18:34]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't understand Jun 10, 2006

I think you need to clarify your inquiry, I for one have no idea at all of what you are asking.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I shall try to give a form of my chat with an outsourcer Jun 10, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

I think you need to clarify your inquiry, I for one have no idea at all of what you are asking.
Hello Henry, The figured price by the outsourcer was about USD0.05 / payment after 50 days, and there were no forms, while the OS´s OS understands the subject better than him/herself, in this context I was asked to submit a scanned copy of my SSN/ SVD ( Sozial Versicherungsdokument in Germany). The outsourcer claims to be english and german, but doesn´t understand the technicalities. The only answer I have recd. was, can I submit a copy or not, which had annoyed me. Now you should be able to understand. Many US outsourcers request SSN, and not since yesterday, and there is also a reason of mutual benefit in this, which is they put a marginal part of the contribution into the price factor. This is no secret. This outsourcer is neither english/ US or whatever nor german and the price structure doesn´t match the demand of a SSN copy. Best Brandis

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Excuse Jun 11, 2006

I'm still a bit cloudy on this, but it sounds as though this outsourcer may be trying to cheat you and may refuse to pay by alleging that you have failed to comply with some "requirement" that does not exist.

Be careful... low rates are not the only problem, the worst rates are when they do not pay at all.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You could be right Henry Jun 11, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

I'm still a bit cloudy on this, but it sounds as though this outsourcer may be trying to cheat you and may refuse to pay by alleging that you have failed to comply with some "requirement" that does not exist.

Be careful... low rates are not the only problem, the worst rates are when they do not pay at all.
I have offered my SSN number. "But copy of the SSN is mandatory if you wish to work with our agency" I am yet silent and undecided. Why the hell the copy, SSN is centrally registered and while providing the number, it can be tracked down persons to tax offices etc., I think I shall quit this project, if the tendency does not change. Thank you all, Best Brandis

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Forget it Jun 12, 2006

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/privacy/ssn-faq/

My SSN is in my invoice template but noone except for government agencies or HRs can have any reasonable/imaginable/legitimate need to request a physical copy of the SS card. For the US outsourcers it's not an issue of mutual benefits, it is about legal requirements and tax reports/returns. But your case is plain strange... Could be dangero
... See more
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/privacy/ssn-faq/

My SSN is in my invoice template but noone except for government agencies or HRs can have any reasonable/imaginable/legitimate need to request a physical copy of the SS card. For the US outsourcers it's not an issue of mutual benefits, it is about legal requirements and tax reports/returns. But your case is plain strange... Could be dangerous, there is an identity theft risk. Or they are simply illiterate and do not understand that they are way out of line if they chose a suggested way of protection from fraud etc.

[Edited at 2006-06-12 20:16]
Collapse

Cristina Golab
Cristina Golab  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very fishy Jun 12, 2006

Have you asked them why they need a copy of your SSN. It sounds very strange to me. I have worked for many non-US outsources, and never been asked for my SSN.
I'd be aware.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

outsourcer requesting social security document copy

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »