Thread poster: Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:11
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 25, 2006

I received an invitation to become my own CEO from Winning Edge Enterprises (www.winningedgeenterprises.com).
There are 2 firms of this name but the URLs are different.
Has anyone experience with this firm?
Klaus

HarryHedgehog
HarryHedgehog
Germany
German to English
It's just spam... Jun 25, 2006

... for a get-rich-quick scheme. Delete it, block the sender, wash your hands, and get back to work

HH

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:11
English to French
+ ...
I don't know them but it looks bogus Jun 25, 2006

I am guessing they are going to ask you to invest $500, which will bring you back 1% every day. Then you reinvest the $500 along with the 1%, and within six months, you will have like, say, $60000.

If it is this type of scheme, then it's not trustworthy. A friend of mine tried something similar, and for a while, the money was pouring in. For as long as he kept investing it, that is. But when he wanted to take the money and opt out - surprise, surprise! The company went bankrupt. Hmm
... See more
I am guessing they are going to ask you to invest $500, which will bring you back 1% every day. Then you reinvest the $500 along with the 1%, and within six months, you will have like, say, $60000.

If it is this type of scheme, then it's not trustworthy. A friend of mine tried something similar, and for a while, the money was pouring in. For as long as he kept investing it, that is. But when he wanted to take the money and opt out - surprise, surprise! The company went bankrupt. Hmmm...

Also, they invite you to be your own CEO. Doesn't it sound like a way unrealistic dream? And just what would you be the CEO of? Your living room?

Sounds very, VERY fishy to me. Also, unless you expressly sent them your resume, I don't see why they would say they reviewed it - unless they are lying, which is a BAD sign.

All the best!

[Edited at 2006-06-25 08:34]
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
German to English
Dubious Jun 25, 2006

Klaus,

I suggest you Google "pyramid scheme" and "Ponzi scheme" and have a look at the results. In particular, check out:

http://www.dsa.org/aboutselling/consumer/index.cfm?fuseaction=pyramid

which gives some useful warnings about Ponzi schemes, including those allegedly helping people to set up their own business.

A
... See more
Klaus,

I suggest you Google "pyramid scheme" and "Ponzi scheme" and have a look at the results. In particular, check out:

which gives some useful warnings about Ponzi schemes, including those allegedly helping people to set up their own business.

As always with these things, caveat emptor.

Robin
Collapse

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Harry Jun 25, 2006

HarryHedgehog wrote:

... for a get-rich-quick scheme. Delete it, block the sender, wash your hands, and get back to work

HH

That was my immediate reaction.
Klaus

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Viktoria Jun 25, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

If it is this type of scheme, then it's not trustworthy. A friend of mine tried something similar, and for a while, the money was pouring in. For as long as he kept investing it, that is. But when he wanted to take the money and opt out - surprise, surprise! The company went bankrupt. Hmmm...

Also, they invite you to be your own CEO. Doesn't it sound like a way unrealistic dream? And just what would you be the CEO of? Your living room?

Sounds very, VERY fishy to me. Also, unless you expressly sent them your resume, I don't see why they would say they reviewed it - unless they are lying, which is a BAD sign.

All the best!

[Edited at 2006-06-25 08:34]

Having the possibility to check with colleagues in this Forumk is really great!

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Robin Jun 25, 2006

RobinB wrote:

Klaus,

As always with these things, caveat emptor.

Robin

also for the links!!
Klaus

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Technically, it's not a pyramid scheme, but very close Jun 25, 2006

RobinB wrote:

I suggest you Google "pyramid scheme" and "Ponzi scheme" and have a look at the results.

Their business model reminded me a bit of MLM. The whole concept is explained on:

http://www.winningedgeenterprises.com/thank_you.asp

I pretty much doubt that anybody but the owners could make any money out of this and even their disclaimer says that you could make little or no money at all.

This reminds me of PT Barnum:
"There's a sucker born every minute...and two to take 'em."

Olaf

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 00:11
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
yet a better story Jun 26, 2006

with a Queen from Nigeria with her family treasures in diamonds worth 15 000 000 USD, hidden somewhere duringa tirbal war, and who seeks kind hearted people to help her with in exchange for 15 per cent "royalty"...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

We reviewed your resume

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »