Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 15:49
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 4, 2006

I would assume this is new enough (released 23th of June) and of interest to all those with V7 environment wanting to move to V8:

http://translation3000.com/tools/index.html

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
folder and data migration Jul 4, 2006

Do you mean the folder and data migration? Has anybody tried them yet? This is a bit too late though. I've already wasted a day entering all the data and trying to get all settings as they were on V7, but still have my folders unchanged. Would this tool just copy the folders from one place to the other or rename them with the new project number V8 assigns?
If anyone knows, please let us know!!
Cheers,
Grace

Gary Daine (X)
Gary Daine (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It copies the folders Jul 5, 2006

It leaves the original folders as they were, and makes a copy for V8, so you can still go on using V7 as normal.

No news yet on the template conversion tool, AFAIK, which is why I'm not using V8 for serious work yet, although it is proving to be very powerful.

I think they just released it a bit too early without enough testing of transition issues.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I did it Jul 5, 2006

and it works. All my financial data are where they are supposed to be and save for the problem of finding my way through projects and jobs and such (the hierarchy aka way of looking at the business has changed V7 to V8) I am flying on V8.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
"Template conversion tool"? Jul 5, 2006

The old templates work as always and what's new - like all those new tags (PROJECT, GLOBALCODE .etc) coming with the release - , nobody (except the user) can convert to.

Or am I misunderstanding the issue?

Gary Daine (X)
Gary Daine (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My templates are different Jul 5, 2006

I have tried to use V7 templates in V8, but I receive an error message complaining about the codes being different (e.g. "Scan Alias not found: cdtIJobs")
Indeed the Help files show that the codes are very different in the 2 versions.
Also, in a previous thread Aleksandra Marchenko mentioned that
"in a day or two the utility for automatic TO3000V7 templates upgrade will be available for download!"

Maybe some are the same and you were lucky not to have the incompat
... See more
I have tried to use V7 templates in V8, but I receive an error message complaining about the codes being different (e.g. "Scan Alias not found: cdtIJobs")
Indeed the Help files show that the codes are very different in the 2 versions.
Also, in a previous thread Aleksandra Marchenko mentioned that
"in a day or two the utility for automatic TO3000V7 templates upgrade will be available for download!"

Maybe some are the same and you were lucky not to have the incompatible ones?
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
templates are incompatible Jul 5, 2006

I spent hours adapting my invoice template because codes were different and I had to find my way through all new and not easy stuff (I'm a translator not a programmer).
I'm really annoyed cos all these issues should have been sorted before launching or at least informed clearly to WAIT until they sorted them. The upgrade had a fair price but the money I have lost in time spent due to all this is worth more than 2 full licenses of the program.
The folders issue isnot sorted for me be
... See more
I spent hours adapting my invoice template because codes were different and I had to find my way through all new and not easy stuff (I'm a translator not a programmer).
I'm really annoyed cos all these issues should have been sorted before launching or at least informed clearly to WAIT until they sorted them. The upgrade had a fair price but the money I have lost in time spent due to all this is worth more than 2 full licenses of the program.
The folders issue isnot sorted for me because even though there is the import tool now, I can't know which project is from which client just by looking at the folder names, so I'm not using that system. WHY does it have to be so rigid???
I want freedom to choose how and where I store my files; is it so difficult to understand??
Oh I could go on forever
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:49
Spanish
+ ...
Agree, agree and agree Jul 5, 2006

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

The folders issue isnot sorted for me because even though there is the import tool now, I can't know which project is from which client just by looking at the folder names, so I'm not using that system. WHY does it have to be so rigid???
I want freedom to choose how and where I store my files; is it so difficult to understand??
Oh I could go on forever

I subscribe to every single word Graciela has said. I was hopeful when I downloaded the Import Tool but it basically copies the same "upgraded" (please notice the SARCASM) folder structure of v8. So again to uninstall version 8 and wait for a real upgrade + import tool that handles a proper client-based folder sorting.

Sabine Knorr
Sabine Knorr
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
V8 is no improvement at all Jul 7, 2006

I also purchased the updated version too early - very disappointing!
Maybe I did not do the conversion properly but I found myself having to introduce lots of data all over again... and the worst surprise hit me at the end of the day: V8 does not accept negative tax rates (in Spain we add 16% VAT tax and deduct 15% income tax from our invoice which is paid by the client directly to the Tax Office). This "upgrade" simply does not work for me...
When my anger had passed, I decided to
... See more
I also purchased the updated version too early - very disappointing!
Maybe I did not do the conversion properly but I found myself having to introduce lots of data all over again... and the worst surprise hit me at the end of the day: V8 does not accept negative tax rates (in Spain we add 16% VAT tax and deduct 15% income tax from our invoice which is paid by the client directly to the Tax Office). This "upgrade" simply does not work for me...
When my anger had passed, I decided to uninstall V8 and returned to good old V7 which is much more flexible and easier to handle.

Best regards from Spain
Sabine
Collapse

Gary Daine (X)
Gary Daine (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It works fine here Jul 7, 2006

I also work in Spain, and so I need -15% IRPF, and I used the import tool, which imported my tax data correctly. I also tested it manually and I can input a negative tax amount correctly (it beeps because of an 'incorrect floating point operation' or some such thing, but just ignore that).

I uninstalled V8 completely and erased the folder manually, then downloaded the latest build of the program itself AND the update tools. It passed across all my data with no problems.

... See more
I also work in Spain, and so I need -15% IRPF, and I used the import tool, which imported my tax data correctly. I also tested it manually and I can input a negative tax amount correctly (it beeps because of an 'incorrect floating point operation' or some such thing, but just ignore that).

I uninstalled V8 completely and erased the folder manually, then downloaded the latest build of the program itself AND the update tools. It passed across all my data with no problems.

I am still waiting for the template update tool, though, and so I'm still working in V7 - it's possible to have both installed, working and open at the same time, so I'm working with V7 and practising with V8.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TranslationOffice3K V7-> V8 migration tool available

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »