Thread poster: biankonera
biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:40
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 7, 2006

I was curious if anybody would care to share some thoughts on the following situation:

a freelancer applies for work at an agency, passes the offered translation test and gets the long desired contract (even goes through all the requirements set by that agency). some document, however, is still necessary and when the freelancer sends it via post with delivery (due to inability to show up in person) the document gets sent back even if the freelancer has informed the agency they will
... See more
I was curious if anybody would care to share some thoughts on the following situation:

a freelancer applies for work at an agency, passes the offered translation test and gets the long desired contract (even goes through all the requirements set by that agency). some document, however, is still necessary and when the freelancer sends it via post with delivery (due to inability to show up in person) the document gets sent back even if the freelancer has informed the agency they will get that document via post. and - above all - the freelancer never hears from the agency again in 4 months since the signing of the contract even if the agency was so keen to sign the freelancer up ASAP.

So I was wondering what should I do in such a situation? Call them/send them an email or should I simply not bother???

Thanks

bramasole

Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:40
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
There are agencies with tests Aug 7, 2006

And there are agencies with work

You choose who you want to work with

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:40
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fair enough Aug 8, 2006

however in a pursuit of a dream job one can sometimes hit the wall.. and learn

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
my experience Aug 8, 2006

Not sure why but I also noticed such rule: the agency that wants you to do a real job is not usually bothered with immediate contract, etc. (PO can be enough): the one that needs you to send plenty of information by post, provide references and undergo a long acceptance process, at best sends a small order within 1-2 months...

Any way you can phone them and ask. For example few days ago I have passed a test for a "real project" and was asked if I can start immediately. After I repli
... See more
Not sure why but I also noticed such rule: the agency that wants you to do a real job is not usually bothered with immediate contract, etc. (PO can be enough): the one that needs you to send plenty of information by post, provide references and undergo a long acceptance process, at best sends a small order within 1-2 months...

Any way you can phone them and ask. For example few days ago I have passed a test for a "real project" and was asked if I can start immediately. After I replied "yes" the company was silent for 3 days, but when I called them they explained that there is a second in-company stage of proofreading

4 months is not a few days, but if your communication implied any forthcoming job, and especially if you passed a test for it, I think, you should call.
Collapse

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:40
English to Spanish
too right, unfortunately Aug 8, 2006

Hi all

Jo and Natalya, I think you are very right, though I hope you are not...

Same experience in my case.

I answered an ad from a translation department in an institution who was recruiting translators of all combinations... Up untill then I am very keen indeed in working for them, mainly due to the fact that they pay well and that I foresee that I would like the type of translations they would offer me.

They are interested and asked me to s
... See more
Hi all

Jo and Natalya, I think you are very right, though I hope you are not...

Same experience in my case.

I answered an ad from a translation department in an institution who was recruiting translators of all combinations... Up untill then I am very keen indeed in working for them, mainly due to the fact that they pay well and that I foresee that I would like the type of translations they would offer me.

They are interested and asked me to send in a sample of my work. After them liking it, they ask me to give them lots of details, fill in some forms and give them referees details which they inmediately check. Then I do not hear from them for two months...

I make a polite call, and they tell me that -two months ago- they sent me the papers asking for more of my details, but that I never answered back. I explain that I never received any papers and they call me in for an induction (this is in June). Paid over 23 pounds (GBP) to get there. Asked for an idea of how much volume of translation work will I be receiving from them and they say that I would get something every month and that July is a very busy period.

So far, no news from them... Called again and they tell me they will take note that I am available...

Incredible!, isn't it? How can they expect me to be keen in giving them preference over other customers?

Still shocked. Begining finally to realise they may not be worth it. Don't bother as much as I have done.

Marta

[Edited at 2006-08-09 08:03]
Collapse

laurem
laurem  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Same experience on my side Aug 8, 2006

The only agencies I have received a contract from, signed and sent back... are the agencies from which I almost never receive any work! Or maybe a proofreading of 100 words once every 2 months)

Don't bother!

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
same as LaureM Aug 8, 2006

Sign them if you agree to their terms & conditions, by all means, but I wouldn't pin all your hopes on these contracts. They're just for admin/database purposes, really.

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
So very true! Aug 8, 2006

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

Or maybe never, as it is my case...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

agency attitude

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »