Local time: 11:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A small side-step... Aug 23, 2006

Congratulation!

I have to say something about breastfeeding, prompted by Olga's post:

Olga Dubeshka wrote:

I would suggest you decide if you will breastfeed or not
BEFORE the baby comes. Bear in mind , for some women easy and effortless, breastfeeding was very difficult and
very, very time-consuming for me. My son ate for at least 45 min. every 2-3 hours. Day and night ! THe first three months are really tough...Expect huge sleep deprivation ! Also, my son was a screamer - literally, screamed all the time (or so it seemed) However, I am a huge breastfeeding advocate , and any pediatrician will tell you that it is the ultimate best way to feed your infant.

It is the best way, but I am surprised that nobody helped you. 45min.+ every 2-3 hours can be a torture for mother and a bore for the child. In fact, he got used to it, so no doubt, you had to remind him frequently what he was supposed to do, because his attention wondered, he nodded off and that's why it took so long.
It is much better to start with shorter sessions, 15-20 minutes the most, even if it is at every 1.5-2 hours at the beginning. He would realise that it is 'the' feeding time, and take more and more during the given time, becoming more efficient. And as he has more intake, the time between feeds increases too, without extending the actual feeding time.
I seems to work even with children of different temperament. I know.
My two sons are grown up now, the younger one's graduation is coming up in two weeks time, but it was the best time when they were babies, close in age, and I'll remember most of it for the rest of my life.

My special admiration is for Dina, and lots of happiness for all of you.
Judith

Lucy Spring
Lucy Spring
Dutch to English
+ ...
Working mum Oct 17, 2006

Congratulations!

My two girls are now 9 and 11. I started translating professionally when pregnant with no. 2 & was back at the laptop when she was 10 days old (albeit for only a couple of hours at a time).

When they were toddlers I took on what I could cope with around nursery/pre-school, which was sometimes only 3 or 4 hours a day, but I would often disappear at weekends and in the evenings to my shed (where I could work in absolute peace!) once my husband was around
... See more
Congratulations!

My two girls are now 9 and 11. I started translating professionally when pregnant with no. 2 & was back at the laptop when she was 10 days old (albeit for only a couple of hours at a time).

When they were toddlers I took on what I could cope with around nursery/pre-school, which was sometimes only 3 or 4 hours a day, but I would often disappear at weekends and in the evenings to my shed (where I could work in absolute peace!) once my husband was around, or I'd be at pre-school, proof-reading a piece by hand whilst making playdough models with the other! Don't ever kid yourself that you can work full-time if you are the sole carer of a pre-schooler.

We have since moved house, and I now have an office in the house, but one thing I have noticed, which has taken me by surprise, is that as the children have got older they actually want to spend more time being "looked after" in school holidays than they did when they were younger (after school it's not a problem - they have homework, I have translation!). So I now have to plan my workload accordingly to cope over school holidays (which means working till stupid o'clock some nights).

One happy knock-on effect is that they have seen the importance of working to deadlines, and keeping a calm head, so homework gets done the day it's set.

But all-in-all I've found it a wonderful way to be self-employed and still be very much involved in my children's lives.
Collapse

Anne-Virginie Lerat
Anne-Virginie Lerat  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:05
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your posts Dec 9, 2006

Dear All,

I wanted to thank you very much for your posts. I have been the proud mother of a baby boy named Hugo since November the 25th. I am still enjoying the few weeks off I took for now and consider going back to work (gradually) at the beginning of January. I started looking for a nanny to take care of the baby but I think that I will wait and see how it goes with the baby before hiring someone. I want to enjoy my baby as much as I can, even if it means working a bit less for
... See more
Dear All,

I wanted to thank you very much for your posts. I have been the proud mother of a baby boy named Hugo since November the 25th. I am still enjoying the few weeks off I took for now and consider going back to work (gradually) at the beginning of January. I started looking for a nanny to take care of the baby but I think that I will wait and see how it goes with the baby before hiring someone. I want to enjoy my baby as much as I can, even if it means working a bit less for now.

Thank you again for all your replies
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wonderful! Dec 11, 2006

Thank you very much for letting us know, it is good to hear such happy news.

Congratulations again, and all the best for you and Hugo.

Judith

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being independant and pregnant

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »