Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:13
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the sort of abuse that happens Sep 15, 2006

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

I wonder how widespread test-abuse really is. We've all heard that it's possible, but how many of us have proof of such a thing taking place regularly?

[quote]

I am not sure we mean the same thing here. The sort of abuse I am concerned with here is when an unnecessary number of translators end up being asked to do the same test, when there is no reasonable follow-up, etc.

(Of course, it is also a problem when translation tests are used to get free translations, but that is not my prime concern here when raising this issue.)

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Abuse... Sep 18, 2006

I for one would really love to see this (setting of norms) happen. I've been swindled twice, both some years ago - I did the test, and never heard from the agency again... If they were honest, and didn't like my test for some reason, they would've have got back to me and told so. It just feels so bad & frustrating to know you've been swindled & taken advantage of... (Pity there's no Blue Board for this kind of situation!!)

As for refusing to do tests, it's all well and good to say t
... See more
I for one would really love to see this (setting of norms) happen. I've been swindled twice, both some years ago - I did the test, and never heard from the agency again... If they were honest, and didn't like my test for some reason, they would've have got back to me and told so. It just feels so bad & frustrating to know you've been swindled & taken advantage of... (Pity there's no Blue Board for this kind of situation!!)

As for refusing to do tests, it's all well and good to say that, but the fact is that almost all agencies seem to demand one as standard procedure (I know all subtitling agencies do), before collaboration is even possible. (I would dearly love to know which agency pays for tests, though!!)
Collapse

Robert Corner
Robert Corner
Local time: 11:13
French to English
Deliver test translations as images Oct 3, 2006

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:
>here are some things one could do to limit test-abuse:

[unquote]

I would add to Samuel's ideas the possibility of sending your test translation in to the agency *as an image* (take a screen print and save as bmp file).
At least then they'll have to retype it if they want to send it to a client!

cheers
Robert Corner

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Do you agree with me that this is cheeky to the point of abuse? Oct 25, 2013

I responded to a ProZ.com job advert which was clearly an agency 'cattle-call' for translators for future projects.

I received a rather haughty request for test translations (although as a matter or principle, I never do tests, except in special circumstances) to see if I was good enough.

I might even have considered doing a short test, in order to get on the books of another agency — but when I looked, they had sent me not one but TWO files, one of them PPT, a
... See more
I responded to a ProZ.com job advert which was clearly an agency 'cattle-call' for translators for future projects.

I received a rather haughty request for test translations (although as a matter or principle, I never do tests, except in special circumstances) to see if I was good enough.

I might even have considered doing a short test, in order to get on the books of another agency — but when I looked, they had sent me not one but TWO files, one of them PPT, and totalling 819 words! I think this is WAY too much, and am beginning to suspect that this agency may be trying to get their job done free of charge, since no translation test was mentioned in the job posting, and hence, it is perfectly possible they have sent different parts of their text to different applicants.

What do you think? Given the specific nature of this situation, do you think I am right to be mistrustful?
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, you are right to be mistrustful Oct 25, 2013

Tony M wrote:

I might even have considered doing a short test, in order to get on the books of another agency — but when I looked, they had sent me not one but TWO files, one of them PPT, and totalling 819 words! I think this is WAY too much, and am beginning to suspect that this agency may be trying to get their job done free of charge, since no translation test was mentioned in the job posting, and hence, it is perfectly possible they have sent different parts of their text to different applicants.

What do you think? Given the specific nature of this situation, do you think I am right to be mistrustful?

I don't do free tests and now can even anticipate which agency will ask for one, based on how they composed their ad. In a few instances when I actually passed the test and was awarded some jobs from it, these agencies turned out to be bad or late payers. So, it's a series of practices where they only think about themselves, without taking translator's interests into account.

How much time has passed between your application and them sending/requesting the test?

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Avoid like the plague. Oct 26, 2013

Tony M wrote:

That was your first mistake No need to make any more.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, I see no reason to be mistrustful, based on what you say Oct 26, 2013

Tony M wrote:
1. I responded to a ProZ.com job advert ... for [potential] future projects.
2. I received a rather haughty request for test translations.
3. They had sent me not one but TWO files, one of them PPT, and totalling 819 words!

Based on this information (and this is really the only information that we have to base our replies on), there is no reason to be distrustful of this agency. The fact that one of the files is a PPT file does not make this request any more suspicious than it would otherwise have been. In fact, they may well be trying to see if you can handle PPT as a file format.

819 words is rather much for a free test translation, and the appropriate thing to do would be to reply and tell them how many words you are willing to do for free. Take the opportunity to confirm whether they're actually willing to pay your rates.

1. This agency may be trying to get their job done free of charge, since no translation test was mentioned in the job posting.
2. Since no translation test was mentioned in the job posting, it is perfectly possible they have sent different parts of their text to different applicants.

Neither of these two pieces of logic are in fact logical.

The fact that they did not mention the test in the jobs post can't possibly lead to the conclusion that they might be trying to get a larger job done for free by giving it as fake tests to a number of tranlsators. They are under no obligation to state their entire translator evaluation procedure in the jobs post, and not doing so does not say anything about the reputation of the agency.

And how (please explain this logic) would mentioning a translation test in the jobs post prevent them from sending different parts of their text to different applicants?

The appropriate response would be to tell them that you don't do free tests, or to tell them how many words you would be willing to do as a free test. Do not start a business relationship by assuming that the other party is acting in bad faith.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:13
French to English
+ ...
Do you agree with me that this is cheeky to the point of abuse? Oct 26, 2013

not one but TWO files, one of them PPT, and totalling 819 words! I think this is WAY too much, and am beginning to suspect that this agency may be trying to get their job done free of charge, since no translation test was mentioned in the job posting, and hence, it is perfectly possible they have sent different parts of their text to different applicants.

Yes.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

norms for translation tests

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »