I'd prefer that the client is one who can do the translation job himself / herself
Thread poster: Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Local time: 09:36
Jan 2, 2007

In fact, I'd prefer that the client has tried doing the translation job himself, and so he has gotten to know what it takes to do translation, and therefore decided that it would be less costly to have me do it.

(It once did occur to me that perhaps ideal clients for me would be translators -- but I haven't gotten around to mulling it beyond a superficial extent.)

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
I know what you mean! Jan 2, 2007

It has happened to me on occasion, to receive work from a project manager at a translation agency, who is a translator herself. She is always very understanding when their are glitches, like a file that has problems and needs a lot of work before it can be translated using a CAT tool. It certainly makes to load easier!

Regards
Lina

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
That too, but what I had in mind related more to... Jan 2, 2007

...client being able to appreciate (a) the quality of work being offered and (b) what it takes to produce a page of translated text -- as a finished product.

Where the client is not equipped to assess translation work as such, then the client is liable to feel sorry for the money paid to the translator. And that adversely affects the translator even through a translation agency; e.g., the agency goes to lowest-cost translation work that would not be rejected by client.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:36
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In fact, I'd prefer that the client has tried doing the translation job himself Jan 2, 2007

so what's the question?

Regards

smo

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Question, in general, is whadayall think about what I think and... Jan 2, 2007

..., perhaps, in particular, for example, should not we all and organizations like proz.com endeavor a bit to educate translation outsourcers and potential outsourcers about the process of translation and the resources that go into?

Best wishes to all in this new year of 2007, by the way...

Alexandre Coutu
Alexandre Coutu
Canada
Local time: 01:36
English to French
Working with other translators Jan 2, 2007

I also have a full-time translator job so as a freelancer, I much prefer working directly with other translators, as a subcontractor. A lot less hassle and a lot more interesting discussions.

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Working for other translators as sub-contractor -- how does it work? Jan 2, 2007

Alexandre Coutu wrote:

"... I much prefer working directly with other translators, as a subcontractor..."

How does that work? For example:

(a) You do part of a large text as a finished product, including maybe even proofreading?

(b) You do what I would call *basic spade work* and the contracting translator does the *finish up* -- do minor editing and proof reading and maybe plug in a few technical or industry-specific terms that you might have left as is in source language ?

Or other?

[Edited at 2007-01-02 21:48]

Alexandre Coutu
Alexandre Coutu
Canada
Local time: 01:36
English to French
All of the above Jan 12, 2007

As such, I was referring to the idea that I like translating a text for another translator who may not have the time to do it himself but who doesn't want to lose the client. My work is not different then if I did it for a client, except that I don't need to work directly with the client.

But actually, I sometimes only translate part of a text, sometimes proofreading the rest of it. Sometimes I proofread and then translate some portions that the translator found more difficult. Or e
... See more
As such, I was referring to the idea that I like translating a text for another translator who may not have the time to do it himself but who doesn't want to lose the client. My work is not different then if I did it for a client, except that I don't need to work directly with the client.

But actually, I sometimes only translate part of a text, sometimes proofreading the rest of it. Sometimes I proofread and then translate some portions that the translator found more difficult. Or else I only translate or only proofread. I work like a business partner or assistant.
Collapse

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Ah! My earlier, preliminary concept of an "Adjunct Translator"? Jan 12, 2007

Alexandre Coutu wrote:

"...I work like a business partner or assistant (to another translator)..."

I once toyed, in these forums, in fact, with the idea that perhaps I could describe myself as some sort of an "adjunct translator", but that didn't seem to cause a whole lot of interest so ... I just let it go. (When I suggested the notion of "reluctant translator", it caused even less enthusiasm, understandably so, of course.)

But:

Alexandre Coutu wrote:

"... translating a text for another translator who may not have the time to do it himself but who doesn't want to lose the client..."

I recall reading somewhere that this kind of "sub-contracting" is not supposed to be done unless agreed to by the client or agency. Is it easy to assure that you are not doing any thing behind the back of any client or agency? Or can it be reasonably and fairly considered that it is the responsibility of the main-contractor to obtain client / agency consent to such sub-contracting and not your responsibility as sub-contractor? Can you be sure that where a main contractor happened to omit obtaining client consent to such sub-contracting, you the sub-contractor would not be blamed or seen in bad light because of it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'd prefer that the client is one who can do the translation job himself / herself

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »