To disclose or not to disclose (online material)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:47
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2007

A few weeks ago, a corporation (direct client) asked me if I could work on a project for them. I had told them that I had translated the literature and parts of a website for a similar company through an agency, but I couldn't show them a sample because of the NDA I had signed for the agency.

After completing a very lengthy, but paid, test translation, this client wants me to work for them. The problem is that they keep insisting on seeing a sample of my previous work. I re-read
... See more
A few weeks ago, a corporation (direct client) asked me if I could work on a project for them. I had told them that I had translated the literature and parts of a website for a similar company through an agency, but I couldn't show them a sample because of the NDA I had signed for the agency.

After completing a very lengthy, but paid, test translation, this client wants me to work for them. The problem is that they keep insisting on seeing a sample of my previous work. I re-read the NDA and it's very clear about "disclosing the information included in any document [...]" submitted by the agency.

But the NDA doesn't say anything at all about revealing the name of third-party clients or the material translated by me that is online, and therefore, public. I told my client that I will see what I can do, but before asking the agency I worked with in the first place, I thought of asking this question here. Has anybody been in a similar situation? I haven't even disclosed the name of the company because it wasn't my direct client, but I don't know how to proceed about the website, since it's public information.

I'd appreciate any comments! Thanks.

Claudia
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:47
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ask your previous customer for permission Jan 17, 2007

Since part of your translation was their web site (i.e., a public document), I think they would readily give you permission to point your new customer there.

Erika Cenefels (X)
Erika Cenefels (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:47
German to French
+ ...
Weird Jan 18, 2007

Hi Claudia,

if they are happy with your sample, I don't understand why they keep asking for references.

If you work for the agency on a regular basis, I would all the more stick to the NDA. I wouldn't risk getting into trouble with them.

Tough decision, though.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

wolmix
wolmix
English to French
website Jan 18, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

If it is a website, why don't you just give them the URL?

Helene Martin-Hernandez
Helene Martin-Hernandez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:47
English to French
+ ...
A website can be seen by anyone Jan 18, 2007

I think a website is public, and can be seen by anyone. I guess, if the website in question doesn't require a password to access it, there is no reason why you can't give the ULR. It's not as if it was a confidential document (unless it's not online yet...).

But it's always best to ask the agency, as you said.

Regards,
Helene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To disclose or not to disclose (online material)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »