Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to switch off after having worked all evening
Thread poster: Sonja Allen
Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Playing fetch with my dog Jan 26, 2007

That seems to be the best cure for me- gets me outside, too!
Jennifer

Monika Rozwarzewska
Monika Rozwarzewska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:03
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Tai chi instead of milk Jan 26, 2007

Rosa Diez Tagarro wrote:

I don't drink, but a glass of milk helps me sleep better every night.
(...)
Best of luck,

Rosa

Well, I am allergic to milk. My best remedy is tai chi. I've been practising it for two years now and I can tell for sure that it always helps me to clear my mind from thoughts

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:03
Italian to English
+ ...
It mind sound daft, but... Jan 26, 2007

... I find that 5 minutes' "cycling", legs up in the air, often does the trick when I'm tossing and turning and can't get to sleep.

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:03
German to English
Get the pyjamas on... Jan 26, 2007

...a good hour before you plan to knock off. Eases me into sleep every time.
Sweet dreams
DB

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:03
English to French
+ ...
Nothing better than comfort and a conversation Jan 29, 2007

I find that, as long as you do what it takes to get into a sleepy mood - putting on your pajamas, putting on soft music, having a glass of milk, etc. - a conversation with someone who's not a freelancer and doesn't translate - in most cases, a spouse - can be perfect to get your mind off work. Someone mentioned sex - hey, whatever does it for you! The idea is really to get your mind thinking of something else than work, preferab... See more
I find that, as long as you do what it takes to get into a sleepy mood - putting on your pajamas, putting on soft music, having a glass of milk, etc. - a conversation with someone who's not a freelancer and doesn't translate - in most cases, a spouse - can be perfect to get your mind off work. Someone mentioned sex - hey, whatever does it for you! The idea is really to get your mind thinking of something else than work, preferably something relaxing and pleasant.

Lately, I've been reading bedside stories to my boyfriend. It's very relaxing, it tires me - reading loud for half an hour IS tiresome - and when he gets sleepy, that is a little contagious. He yawns, stops moving, and at some point starts breathing very regularly. Puts me in the mood to sleep! The problem is that often, he's asleep by the time I get to bed - I don't get to unwind. Writing your diary - wherein talk about work is strictly prohibited - can also do the trick. Someone suggested handwork - I haven't thought of it but it must be a great option. Maybe macrame could work? Knotting away - what more passive activity can you find?

This is interesting, because my boyfriend gets mad at me for not going to bed right away when I'm done working. I thought he was right, but now I realize he just doesn't understand what it's like working late on a computer. I am unable to go straight to bed and need to do something to unwind. The trouble is, sometimes I get carried away with unwinding and I go to bed very late - sometimes 4 hours after I'm done working.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 12:03
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
...I always find it very hard on these occassions to switch off ... Feb 10, 2007

Hey, we pump ourselves up and then we expect just to turn in bed and fall asleep.

I do yoga/autogene training. It works - most of the time.

About a drink or two ... the danger is, there comes the third one - because the first two did not work, you toss and turn, and then go into the living room to watch some stupid late night show...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to switch off after having worked all evening

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »