Thread poster: Kathryn Strachecky
Laurent Boudias
Laurent Boudias  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:07
English to French
+ ...
I was not really serious... Feb 11, 2007

... at least regarding the beating.

No seriously, we share chores, but I'm not at home all day long. I work outside home and do freelancing at night and during the weekend. She works outside too.

So who should do the chores? Well not one specifically, so it is whenever you are in the mood and/or available. I take care of the kids in the morning before school because she's on her way to work when they wake
... See more
... at least regarding the beating.

No seriously, we share chores, but I'm not at home all day long. I work outside home and do freelancing at night and during the weekend. She works outside too.

So who should do the chores? Well not one specifically, so it is whenever you are in the mood and/or available. I take care of the kids in the morning before school because she's on her way to work when they wake up. I take care of the kids to go to sports practice, basically at least one every evening, she cooks while we're out. As far as washing and ironing, everyone does it, kids included. My daughter, 7, just started doing it, her mom helps her for the ironing though. My son washes and irons his clothes. He doesn't do it? nobody will, so it's up to him. I do mine. So what's left is the cleaning. Kids have chores, not many, just a few.

So it's just a question of organization and the will to participate in the household. Kids don't want to do it most of the time, but that's part of their education. Tough one but they're loved a lot besides that. Don't think they are abused... hehe
Collapse

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:07
Member (2007)
English to French
Thank you very much Laurent Feb 11, 2007

[quote]Laurent Boudias wrote:

I take care of the kids in the morning before school because she's on her way to work when they wake up. I take care of the kids to go to sports practice, basically at least one every evening, she cooks while we're out.

Thank you very much indeed Laurent, for giving us some 'facts'.
It does indeed look as if it is not a 'gender issue' at all (who said it was ? how did we get there ?) ...but more about freelancing/working from home...
We probably all face the same problems...it is all about self-discipline and organisation. If we are going to be successful business men/women (sorry but that's my aim as a fully qualified freelance linguist !), it will take self-discipline, organisation, and professionalism (as it does in other 'professions')
If we are not ready for it, we'll end up with long hours, very little money (or no work at all) and our personal life in chaos.

Now, being Sunday, I am not supposed to log onto Proz.com ! - I'd better go.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
I am very touched, and I hope you have more wisdom to share Feb 11, 2007

Although I won't give away his identity, I would like to commend X on the very well-written message that he sent to a few of us girls who have been ranting on (more or less playfully) at men in this thread.

The gist of his message was that men secretly do other things (besides translating) in their day, but they would feel emasculated to admit it for fear of not being considered professional.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your ideas. You stand out from the
... See more
Although I won't give away his identity, I would like to commend X on the very well-written message that he sent to a few of us girls who have been ranting on (more or less playfully) at men in this thread.

The gist of his message was that men secretly do other things (besides translating) in their day, but they would feel emasculated to admit it for fear of not being considered professional.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your ideas. You stand out from the crowd!

Also, Kathyrn, I've been reflecting on other tips I could share on managing time, and I wanted to add that organisation systems are a must. Sometimes it takes hours to get paperwork in order, but when you find yourself in a rush afterwards, you will be glad you took the time. I am very strict about everything having its place, and that way, if there is an element hanging about, I know that it represents something I need to do.

Also, Post-its and lists are a good way of relieving the pressure from your mind and freeing it up to confront the matter at hand. If you are on the move, a day planner is also a good idea. I personalise mine with blank pages upon which I jot phone numbers, appointments, deadlines, etc. When I have the time I put that information where it needs to be and cross it out on my list.

Another way of saving time is to use the Internet for your banking (set up automatic payments for all bills), shopping, and other niggling errands that prey on your mind. Since I work on several computers, I also use a USB device in which I store my favorite sites and passwords as well as my accounting database (although I've been warned against the reliability of this).

The important thing is to avoid that welling-up feeling that makes you feel like you can't take it anymore. I was talking to a female politician the other day who, in response to a colleague's complaining that she was "débordée" (busy to the saturation point), shared this little nugget with me: it's only a feeling, and a feeling can be changed. She used to always feel that way, even when she had fewer responsabilities... but a few years back when she learned that she had a life-threatening cancer, she immediately decided that that niggling feeling was not going to take up any more of her time. Now she will not complain that she is "saturated," while at the same time accepting other work. She just says she's busy, and that it will have to wait. Ironically, she is perhaps respected more for this attitude, which does not detract from her impeccable professionalism.

Maybe the key of handling your time is to realise, but truly realise, what is important, and let the other stuff take a hike. Easier to say than do, granted. For the woman I'm talking about, it took a massive shock to change her point of view.

In X's message, he mentioned the age-old theory of women being multi-taskers, but the interesting thing is putting our finger on just how we do it. To be perfectly fair, I think that men probably have their tips to share, as well.

So, guys... We're not going to bite your heads off (as Kathryn wisely insists)... Go on, tell us how you do it!
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:07
German to English
+ ...
My husband is assigned the housekeeping... Feb 12, 2007

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

You should delegate: my husband is assigned the housekeeping, cooking, washing, ironing, children caretaking, etc. so I don't have to worry about that.

I'm with Alison here!! I also have a stay-at-home dad/student in the picture.

Partnership is essential. I take the kids when he studies and goes to class, and he takes the kids when I translate. As for housework, he is much more obsessed with a clean house than I am, so he does more in that regard - mostly vacuuming/hoovering every day and certain more in-depth cleaning. He politely turns a blind eye to my office... My husband also helps keep up the building where we live, which belongs to my mother, and drives the girls to school and activities. I pay the bills and take care of the cats. We share many of the other responsibilities: cooking, shopping, washing dishes, helping with homework, doing laundry, putting the girls to bed, etc.

I'm not off the hook in terms of housework just because I earn money and translate all day. And frankly, I think women should stop letting men get away with that attitude - and for god's sake, don't raise your sons that way!! They'll have households of their own someday, and they need to learn the basics just as girls do.

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very interesting Feb 12, 2007

I like your story about the politician, Inkling, very interesting!

Thank you all again so much for sharing your experiences with me. This thread has been far more instructive than I could have imagined and I am feeling far more relaxed now about my workload and other aspects of life.

Now for the test- putting all your advice into practice

Anne M
Anne M
English to French
My husband is in the military ;-) Mar 7, 2007

Hey people!

Well, I am just starting freelancing now, and thank God my husband is in the military! The more he is on active duty, the more I can work!

I think being a freelancing translator married to an Army guy is the best situation ever! Lol!

Regards. Glad to read you all.

Scott Liang
Scott Liang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:07
English to Chinese
Hi Jul 5, 2007

Well. I work in a plant as an engineer in the day. And sometimes works as freelancer at night....

It's very tired for me.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you organise your day?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »