Thread poster: Ines Burrell
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:41
English to French
+ ...
Please don't feel guilty! Feb 19, 2007

You did nothing wrong and everything right. The complaint - I wish more people complained! I always do as long as it's justified. In your case, it was.

Not enough people complain anymore. That PM probably behaved the same way with other translators and nobody complained so far. So, she kept having a bad behaviour, since nobody scolded her for it. It was high time...

You see, often, people will skin you alive and they don't expect you can do anything about it. But when y
... See more
You did nothing wrong and everything right. The complaint - I wish more people complained! I always do as long as it's justified. In your case, it was.

Not enough people complain anymore. That PM probably behaved the same way with other translators and nobody complained so far. So, she kept having a bad behaviour, since nobody scolded her for it. It was high time...

You see, often, people will skin you alive and they don't expect you can do anything about it. But when you can, you should. That'll teach her!

Not to mention that you are entitled to courtesy as much as any human being is, including that PM. I like your choice of wording - you called her patronizing. To me, that also means that she considers herself superior to you. I will never accept such attitude from anyone, even if it is my dearest client.
Collapse

the Train
the Train  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
You should never feel this way.. Mar 12, 2007

Hi,

I remember Churchil's remark 'thick skin is a gift from God'. I totally understand you. Unfortunately, I have been in too many situations abroad in some cultures where women are abused and shut their mouths about it. In fact it came down to a point that if I said a remark was not acceptable, I was blamed for saying so because women simply do not have the right or the courage to defend themselves there. I started working for myself few months ago and I decided that I do not want
... See more
Hi,

I remember Churchil's remark 'thick skin is a gift from God'. I totally understand you. Unfortunately, I have been in too many situations abroad in some cultures where women are abused and shut their mouths about it. In fact it came down to a point that if I said a remark was not acceptable, I was blamed for saying so because women simply do not have the right or the courage to defend themselves there. I started working for myself few months ago and I decided that I do not want the money of rude people. I do not want the money of those who think I am a translator and a doormat. They bought your translation not your soul. If you take abuse from anybody, it will go only down from there, and after long suffering on your part, you will still do what you have done now. So save yourself the pain of dealing with dead-end clients as I call them.

When I started I did 20k words for an agency that promised to pay me a month later. A month became two. After calling several times, they told me over e-mail that if I called them ever again 'to ask for money', they will never deal with me or send me work. I hit the roof. I was made to feel as if I was begging from them.

Then I realised something; I can not have it both ways... I have to make a choice between my pride and keeping clients no matter what they do or say.

It comes down to this... are you born with it or not.... thick skin. If you are not, then stand up for the real you. Being happy is a lot better than being with a bit more cash that I will spend to make my sad self happy.....

And why should you think about her career any more than she does.. she is old enough to know that treating people meanly brings no good.

[Edited at 2007-03-12 02:26]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Patronizing behavior from PM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »